PostgreSQL 11 Major Features

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi,

PostgreSQL 11 Beta 1 went live today with a preliminary list of major

As with everything in the beta, this may not be the final list: we may
need to add / remove based on what we see in testing, what features
may have more of an impact on people’s usage of PostgreSQL than
we may have initially noticed, etc.

I wanted to start this thread not to both  facilitate a discussion of what
the major features are going into PostgreSQL 11 and as a means to
collect user feedback from beta testing to see if there is something we
should be highlighting that we are not (or something we shouldn’t
highlight).

So, please encourage people to test the PostgreSQL 11 beta and
provide feedback so we can effectively message the release come
the fall!

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: PostgreSQL 11 Major Features

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"

PostgreSQL 11 Beta 1 went live today with a preliminary list of major

As with everything in the beta, this may not be the final list: we may
need to add / remove based on what we see in testing, what features
may have more of an impact on people’s usage of PostgreSQL than
we may have initially noticed, etc.

I wanted to start this thread not to both  facilitate a discussion of what
the major features are going into PostgreSQL 11 and as a means to
collect user feedback from beta testing to see if there is something we
should be highlighting that we are not (or something we shouldn’t
highlight).

So, please encourage people to test the PostgreSQL 11 beta and
provide feedback so we can effectively message the release come
the fall!

So one I would suggest adding is “covering indexes” - they seem like
they could be very helpful[1].

Jonathan

Re: PostgreSQL 11 Major Features

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 5/24/18 10:48, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> PostgreSQL 11 Beta 1 went live today with a preliminary list of major
> features:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/static/release-11.html#id-1.11.6.5.3

If we're going to link to this subsection publicly, we should probably
give it an ID.

> As with everything in the beta, this may not be the final list: we may
> need to add / remove based on what we see in testing, what features
> may have more of an impact on people’s usage of PostgreSQL than
> we may have initially noticed, etc.

I suggest replacing references to "SQL:2011 standard" with just "SQL
standard".  The feature in question was already present in SQL:2008, and
SQ:2016 is the latest, so the reference to SQL:2011 is meaningless.

Re: PostgreSQL 11 Major Features

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2018-Jun-08, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On 5/24/18 10:48, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> > PostgreSQL 11 Beta 1 went live today with a preliminary list of major
> > features:
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/static/release-11.html#id-1.11.6.5.3
>
> If we're going to link to this subsection publicly, we should probably
> give it an ID.

Why do we call it "Overview"?  "Major Enhancements" seems a better
title.  It's been called Overview in all previous releases but I don't
see why we need to keep it that way.

> > As with everything in the beta, this may not be the final list: we may
> > need to add / remove based on what we see in testing, what features
> > may have more of an impact on people’s usage of PostgreSQL than
> > we may have initially noticed, etc.
>
> I suggest replacing references to "SQL:2011 standard" with just "SQL
> standard".  The feature in question was already present in SQL:2008, and
> SQ:2016 is the latest, so the reference to SQL:2011 is meaningless.

Right.  (There's only one, which appears in two places.)