COPY FROM WITH HEADER skips a tuple every 4 billion tuples

From
David Rowley
Date:
I'd been looking over the COPY FROM code tonight when I saw something
pretty scary looking:

/* on input just throw the header line away */
if (cstate->cur_lineno == 0 && cstate->header_line)
{
    cstate->cur_lineno++;
    if (CopyReadLine(cstate))
       return false; /* done */
}

while it might not look too scary by itself, it gets a bit more so
when you learn that the cur_lineno is only 32 bits wide. This will
result in skipping a tuple every time the 32-bit variable wraps back
around to 0 again.

Maybe when this code was written copying > 4 billion rows was just a
far-off dream, but with today's hardware, it really didn't take that
long to see this actually happen for real.

postgres=# create unlogged table t(a int);
CREATE TABLE
Time: 1.339 ms
postgres=# insert into t select 0 from generate_series(1, 4300000000);
INSERT 0 4300000000
Time: 2128367.019 ms (35:28.367)
postgres=# copy t to '/home/ubuntu/t.csv' with (format csv, header);
COPY 4300000000
Time: 2294331.494 ms (38:14.331)
postgres=# truncate t;
TRUNCATE TABLE
Time: 30.367 ms
postgres=# copy t from '/home/ubuntu/t.csv' with (format csv, header);
COPY 4299999999
Time: 2693186.475 ms (44:53.186)

A patch to fix is attached.

(I just made the variable 64-bit)

Re: COPY FROM WITH HEADER skips a tuple every 4 billion tuples

Date:
David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> while it might not look too scary by itself, it gets a bit more so
> when you learn that the cur_lineno is only 32 bits wide. This will
> result in skipping a tuple every time the 32-bit variable wraps back
> around to 0 again.

Hm, so why is the correct rowcount returned --- are we running
a separate counter for that purpose, and if so why?

            regards, tom lane

Re: COPY FROM WITH HEADER skips a tuple every 4 billion tuples

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2018-05-22 11:55:26 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > while it might not look too scary by itself, it gets a bit more so
> > when you learn that the cur_lineno is only 32 bits wide. This will
> > result in skipping a tuple every time the 32-bit variable wraps back
> > around to 0 again.
>
> Hm, so why is the correct rowcount returned --- are we running
> a separate counter for that purpose, and if so why?

Yes, it's a local counter in CopyFrom/CopyTo.  It's probably not
entirely trivial to unify the two. The batching etc makes us modify
cur_lineno in a bit weird ways at times.  It's noteworthy that the
comment for cur_lineno says: /* line number for error messages */

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: COPY FROM WITH HEADER skips a tuple every 4 billion tuples

Date:
> On 2018-05-22 11:55:26 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hm, so why is the correct rowcount returned --- are we running
>> a separate counter for that purpose, and if so why?

> Yes, it's a local counter in CopyFrom/CopyTo.  It's probably not
> entirely trivial to unify the two. The batching etc makes us modify
> cur_lineno in a bit weird ways at times.

OK, we'll just do it like David suggests then.  I haven't checked the
patch in detail yet, but it seemed generally sane if we're just going
to widen the duplicate counter.

            regards, tom lane

Re: COPY FROM WITH HEADER skips a tuple every 4 billion tuples

From
David Rowley
Date:
Thanks for pushing.

On 23 May 2018 at 03:55, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Hm, so why is the correct rowcount returned --- are we running
> a separate counter for that purpose, and if so why?

I thought the output I pasted was clearly showing it not to be the
same. 4299999999 vs 4300000000.

Did I misunderstand you?

Re: COPY FROM WITH HEADER skips a tuple every 4 billion tuples

From
Vik Fearing
Date:
On 22/05/18 23:04, David Rowley wrote:
> Thanks for pushing.
>
> On 23 May 2018 at 03:55, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Hm, so why is the correct rowcount returned --- are we running
>> a separate counter for that purpose, and if so why?
>
> I thought the output I pasted was clearly showing it not to be the
> same. 4299999999 vs 4300000000.
>
> Did I misunderstand you?

I think Tom was wondering why it isn't showing 5032703.
--
Vik Fearing                                          +33 6 46 75 15 36

Date:
On 23 May 2018 at 09:16, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I think Tom was wondering why it isn't showing 5032703.

You'll need to explain that one. The number just looks like nonsense to me.

Date:
On 2018-05-23 09:04:35 +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> Thanks for pushing.
>
> On 23 May 2018 at 03:55, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Hm, so why is the correct rowcount returned --- are we running
> > a separate counter for that purpose, and if so why?
>
> I thought the output I pasted was clearly showing it not to be the
> same. 4299999999 vs 4300000000.
>
> Did I misunderstand you?

Well, the row-returned counter is obviously wide enough, otherwise
4299999999 couldn't be returned. Tom's point, as I understood it, is
that we obviously have one wide enough counter - why can't we reuse that
for the one you made wider.  And it doesn't seem entirely trivial to do
so, so your patch is easier.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Date:
On 23 May 2018 at 09:31, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> On 23 May 2018 at 03:55, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> > Hm, so why is the correct rowcount returned --- are we running
>> > a separate counter for that purpose, and if so why?
>>
>> I thought the output I pasted was clearly showing it not to be the
>> same. 4299999999 vs 4300000000.
>>
>> Did I misunderstand you?
>
> Well, the row-returned counter is obviously wide enough, otherwise
> 4299999999 couldn't be returned. Tom's point, as I understood it, is
> that we obviously have one wide enough counter - why can't we reuse that
> for the one you made wider.  And it doesn't seem entirely trivial to do
> so, so your patch is easier.

*moment of realisation*

Oh, this makes sense now.

They can't be the same. One tracks the line number in the COPY FROM
input, the other tracks the number of rows inserted. You'd only have
to add a BEFORE INSERT ROW trigger which blocks some rows to
understand why they need to be separate.

Re: COPY FROM WITH HEADER skips a tuple every 4 billion tuples

Date:
> On 2018-05-23 09:04:35 +1200, David Rowley wrote:
>> I thought the output I pasted was clearly showing it not to be the
>> same. 4299999999 vs 4300000000.

> Well, the row-returned counter is obviously wide enough, otherwise
> 4299999999 couldn't be returned. Tom's point, as I understood it, is
> that we obviously have one wide enough counter - why can't we reuse that
> for the one you made wider.  And it doesn't seem entirely trivial to do
> so, so your patch is easier.

Right.  Obviously there was a 64-bit counter someplace, but it wasn't
being used for this purpose.

I think after looking at the code that the cur_lineno counter is
counting input *lines* whereas the other thing counts finished *rows*,
so unifying them would be a bad idea anyway.

            regards, tom lane