perlcritic script

From
Andrew Dunstan

Here's a small patch to add a script to call perlcritic, in the same way
that we have a script to call perltidy. Is also includes a perlcriticrc
file containing a policy to allow octal constants with leading zeros.
That's the only core severity 5 policy we are currently no in compliance
with.

We should probably look at being rather more aggressive with perlcritic.
I've made the buildfarm client code compliant with some exceptions down
to severity level 3. Here are the profile exceptions:

    [-Variables::RequireLocalizedPunctuationVars]
    [TestingAndDebugging::ProhibitNoWarnings]
    allow = once
    [-InputOutput::RequireBriefOpen]
    [-Subroutines::RequireArgUnpacking]
    [-RegularExpressions::RequireExtendedFormatting]
    [-Variables::ProhibitPackageVars]
    [-ErrorHandling::RequireCarping]
    [-ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitComplexVersion]
    [InputOutput::ProhibitBacktickOperators]
    only_in_void_context = 1
    [-Modules::ProhibitExcessMainComplexity]
    [-Subroutines::ProhibitExcessComplexity]
    [-ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplicitNewlines]
    [-ControlStructures::ProhibitCascadingIfElse]
    [-ControlStructures::ProhibitNegativeExpressionsInUnlessAndUntilConditions]
    [-ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingReturnValueOfEval ]
    [-BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitComplexMappings]

There are also 21 places in the code with "no critic" markings at
severity 3 and above.

cheers

andrew

Re: perlcritic script

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 5/8/18 13:57, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> +    # take executable files that file(1) thinks are perl files
> +    find . -type f -perm -100 -exec file {} \; -print |
> +    egrep -i ':.*perl[0-9]*\>' |

How portable is that?

Re: perlcritic script

Date:
> On 5/8/18 13:57, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> +    # take executable files that file(1) thinks are perl files
>> +    find . -type f -perm -100 -exec file {} \; -print |
>> +    egrep -i ':.*perl[0-9]*\>' |

> How portable is that?

Well, it's the same code that's in pgperltidy ... but I agree that
it's making a lot of assumptions about the behavior of file(1).

            regards, tom lane

Re: perlcritic script

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 5/8/18 16:51, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 5/8/18 13:57, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> +    # take executable files that file(1) thinks are perl files
>>> +    find . -type f -perm -100 -exec file {} \; -print |
>>> +    egrep -i ':.*perl[0-9]*\>' |
>
>> How portable is that?
>
> Well, it's the same code that's in pgperltidy ... but I agree that
> it's making a lot of assumptions about the behavior of file(1).

OK, but then it's not a problem for this thread.

Re: perlcritic script

From
"Tels"
Date:
Moin,

On Tue, May 8, 2018 5:03 pm, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 5/8/18 16:51, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>
>>> How portable is that?
>>
>> Well, it's the same code that's in pgperltidy ... but I agree that
>> it's making a lot of assumptions about the behavior of file(1).
>
> OK, but then it's not a problem for this thread.

If I'm not mistaken, the first line in the "find" code could be more
compact like so:

 find . -type f -iname '*.p[lm]'

(-print is default, and the -name argument is a regexp, anyway. And IMHO
it could be "-iname" so we catch "test.PM", too?).

Also, "-print" does not handle filenames with newlines well, so "-print0"
should be used, however, this can be tricky when the next step isn't xarg,
but sort. Looking at the man page, on my system this would be:

 find . -type f -name '*.p[lm]' -print0 | sort -u -z | xargs -0 ...

Not sure if that is more, or less, portable then the original -print
variant, tho.

Best regards,

Tels