Re: perlcritic script - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tels
Subject Re: perlcritic script
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Moin,

On Tue, May 8, 2018 5:03 pm, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 5/8/18 16:51, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>
>>> How portable is that?
>>
>> Well, it's the same code that's in pgperltidy ... but I agree that
>> it's making a lot of assumptions about the behavior of file(1).
>
> OK, but then it's not a problem for this thread.

If I'm not mistaken, the first line in the "find" code could be more
compact like so:

 find . -type f -iname '*.p[lm]'

(-print is default, and the -name argument is a regexp, anyway. And IMHO
it could be "-iname" so we catch "test.PM", too?).

Also, "-print" does not handle filenames with newlines well, so "-print0"
should be used, however, this can be tricky when the next step isn't xarg,
but sort. Looking at the man page, on my system this would be:

 find . -type f -name '*.p[lm]' -print0 | sort -u -z | xargs -0 ...

Not sure if that is more, or less, portable then the original -print
variant, tho.

Best regards,

Tels