Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

From
Justin Clift
Date:
A comment on the Hacker News thread about the new website seems like it might
be useful:

  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16872364

  'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
   wraps to make room for the Search box.'

Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
wrap around.

Not sure how to fix it, but figured it worth mentioning. :)

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

From
Sarah Schnurr
Date:
Justin,

A comment on the Hacker News thread about the new website seems like it might
be useful:

  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16872364

  'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
   wraps to make room for the Search box.'

Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
wrap around.

Not sure how to fix it, but figured it worth mentioning. :)

Thanks for the report! A fix is being worked on. :)

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

Date:
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> A comment on the Hacker News thread about the new website seems like it might
> be useful:
>   'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
>    wraps to make room for the Search box.'

> Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
> wrap around.

Yeah, that happens for me too, and it contributes to the excessive
use of vertical space that I've been whining about.  My display is
a good bit wider than 1280px ... but the window I give Safari isn't.

If I make the window a little narrower, the search box and *all* of the
buttons disappear, turning the nav bar into a complete waste of space.
That needs some more thought too.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
> On Apr 19, 2018, at 1:04 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
>> A comment on the Hacker News thread about the new website seems like it might
>> be useful:
>>  'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
>>   wraps to make room for the Search box.'
>
>> Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
>> wrap around.
>
> Yeah, that happens for me too, and it contributes to the excessive
> use of vertical space that I've been whining about.  My display is
> a good bit wider than 1280px ... but the window I give Safari isn't.
>
> If I make the window a little narrower, the search box and *all* of the
> buttons disappear, turning the nav bar into a complete waste of space.
> That needs some more thought too.

Hmm…agreed.  It seems like we should have at least a few buttons there
to help with the navigation so it’s not completely at that in-between mobile /
larger browser window view.

Jonathan

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

From
Greg Stark
Date:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 at 13:05, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> > A comment on the Hacker News thread about the new website seems like it might
> > be useful:
> >   'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
> >    wraps to make room for the Search box.'
>
> > Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
> > wrap around.
>
> Yeah, that happens for me too, and it contributes to the excessive
> use of vertical space that I've been whining about.  My display is
> a good bit wider than 1280px ... but the window I give Safari isn't.

I'm seeing the navbar actually appear on top of the content now hiding
the first few lines of the page. That completely hides the new release
banner and partially hides the list of releases making it hard to tell
what release you're actually looking at.

Didn't we decide to get rid of the fixed nav bar already? It seems
like just a recipe for wasting precious vertical space, especially on
small screens like mobile screens.

--
greg

Re: Nav-bar wrap around with 1280px width display

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 11 Feb 2019, at 19:50, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 at 13:05, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
>>> A comment on the Hacker News thread about the new website seems like it might
>>> be useful:
>>>  'Top navigation needs a rethink. At 1280px width resolution "Your account"
>>>   wraps to make room for the Search box.'
>>
>>> Just tried it here with Firefox on OSX, and yep the Your Account bit does
>>> wrap around.
>>
>> Yeah, that happens for me too, and it contributes to the excessive
>> use of vertical space that I've been whining about.  My display is
>> a good bit wider than 1280px ... but the window I give Safari isn't.
>
> I'm seeing the navbar actually appear on top of the content now hiding
> the first few lines of the page. That completely hides the new release
> banner and partially hides the list of releases making it hard to tell
> what release you're actually looking at.
>
> Didn't we decide to get rid of the fixed nav bar already? It seems
> like just a recipe for wasting precious vertical space, especially on
> small screens like mobile screens.

If you are referring to the navbar hiding content on the documentation pages,
it’s discussed in 558C4385-EEA2-43EF-BC9E-B12AB6316D35@yesql.se and Jonathan is
working on a patch for it.

cheers ./daniel

Date:
On 2/11/19 8:59 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> If you are referring to the navbar hiding content on the documentation pages,
> it’s discussed in 558C4385-EEA2-43EF-BC9E-B12AB6316D35@yesql.se and Jonathan is
> working on a patch for it.

I have pushed a fix for this. Apologies for the delay.

Jonathan

Attachment

Date:
> On 13 Feb 2019, at 04:03, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> On 2/11/19 8:59 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> If you are referring to the navbar hiding content on the documentation pages,
>> it’s discussed in 558C4385-EEA2-43EF-BC9E-B12AB6316D35@yesql.se and Jonathan is
>> working on a patch for it.
>
> I have pushed a fix for this. Apologies for the delay.

Wasn’t the shoutbox removed from the docs pages previously to conserve vertical
space?

cheers ./daniel