pg_class.reltuples of brin indexes

From
Masahiko Sawada
Date:
Hi,

I found that pg_class.reltuples of brin indexes can be either the
number of index tuples or the number of heap tuples.

=# create table test as select generate_series(1,100000) as c;
=# create index test_brin on test using brin (c);
=# analyze test;
=# select relname, reltuples, relpages from pg_class where relname in
('test', 'test_brin');
  relname  | reltuples | relpages
-----------+-----------+----------
 test      |     100000 |       443
 test_brin |     100000 |        3
(2 rows)

=# vacuum test;
=# select relname, reltuples, relpages from pg_class where relname in
('test', 'test_brin');
  relname  | reltuples | relpages
-----------+-----------+----------
 test      |     100000 |       443
 test_brin |         3 |        3
(2 rows)

If I understand correctly pg_class.reltuples of indexes should have
the number of index tuples but especially for brin indexes it would be
hard to estimate it in the analyze code. I thought that we can change
brinvacuumcleanup so that it returns the estimated number of index
tuples and do vac_update_relstats using that value but it would break
API contract. Better ideas?

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: pg_class.reltuples of brin indexes

From
Tomas Vondra
Date:
On 03/27/2018 01:58 PM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found that pg_class.reltuples of brin indexes can be either the
> number of index tuples or the number of heap tuples.
>
> =# create table test as select generate_series(1,100000) as c;
> =# create index test_brin on test using brin (c);
> =# analyze test;
> =# select relname, reltuples, relpages from pg_class where relname in
> ('test', 'test_brin');
>   relname  | reltuples | relpages
> -----------+-----------+----------
>  test      |     100000 |       443
>  test_brin |     100000 |        3
> (2 rows)
>
> =# vacuum test;
> =# select relname, reltuples, relpages from pg_class where relname in
> ('test', 'test_brin');
>   relname  | reltuples | relpages
> -----------+-----------+----------
>  test      |     100000 |       443
>  test_brin |         3 |        3
> (2 rows)

Ouch!

> If I understand correctly pg_class.reltuples of indexes should have
> the number of index tuples but especially for brin indexes it would
> be hard to estimate it in the analyze code.
I'm not sure it's that clear, unfortunately - it's probably more a
question of how the value is used for costing, etc.

> I thought that we can change brinvacuumcleanup so that it returns the
> estimated number of index tuples and do vac_update_relstats using
> that value but it would break API contract. Better ideas?

I think number of index tuples makes sense, as long as that's what the
costing needs. That is, it's up to the index AM to define it. But it
clearly should not flap like this ...

And it's not just BRIN. This is what I get with a GIN index:

archie=# create index on messages using gin(subject_tsvector);

archie=# select relname, reltuples from pg_class
         where relname = 'messages_subject_tsvector_idx';

            relname            |  reltuples
-------------------------------+-------------
 messages_subject_tsvector_idx | 6.58566e+06
(1 row)

archie=# vacuum messages;

archie=# select relname, reltuples from pg_class
         where relname = 'messages_subject_tsvector_idx';

            relname            |  reltuples
-------------------------------+-------------
 messages_subject_tsvector_idx | 6.58566e+06
(1 row)

archie=# analyze messages;

archie=# select relname, reltuples from pg_class
         where relname = 'messages_subject_tsvector_idx';

            relname            |  reltuples
-------------------------------+-------------
 messages_subject_tsvector_idx | 1.23463e+06
(1 row)

And it's even worse with a partial index:

archie=# create index on messages using gin(subject_tsvector)
         where lower(substr(subject, 0, 4)) <> 're:'::text;

archie=# select relname, reltuples from pg_class
         where relname = 'messages_subject_tsvector_idx';

            relname            | reltuples
-------------------------------+------------
 messages_subject_tsvector_idx | 1.4397e+06
(1 row)

archie=# vacuum messages;

archie=# select relname, reltuples from pg_class
         where relname = 'messages_subject_tsvector_idx';

            relname            | reltuples
-------------------------------+------------
 messages_subject_tsvector_idx | 1.4397e+06
(1 row)

archie=# analyze messages;

archie=# select relname, reltuples from pg_class
         where relname = 'messages_subject_tsvector_idx';

            relname            | reltuples
-------------------------------+-----------
 messages_subject_tsvector_idx |    295107
(1 row)

The good thing is that in this case VACUUM/ANALYZE don't flap, it's just
the initial reltuples estimate set by CREATE INDEX.

regards

Re: pg_class.reltuples of brin indexes

Date:
Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> I think number of index tuples makes sense, as long as that's what the
> costing needs. That is, it's up to the index AM to define it. But it
> clearly should not flap like this ...

> And it's not just BRIN. This is what I get with a GIN index:

Sounds like the same kind of thing we just fixed for SP-GiST :-(

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_class.reltuples of brin indexes

From
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:
> Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > I think number of index tuples makes sense, as long as that's what the
> > costing needs. That is, it's up to the index AM to define it. But it
> > clearly should not flap like this ...
>
> > And it's not just BRIN. This is what I get with a GIN index:
>
> Sounds like the same kind of thing we just fixed for SP-GiST :-(

Most likely I modelled the BRIN code after GIN.

Re: pg_class.reltuples of brin indexes

From
Masahiko Sawada
Date:
On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 11:28 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> > I think number of index tuples makes sense, as long as that's what the
>> > costing needs. That is, it's up to the index AM to define it. But it
>> > clearly should not flap like this ...
>>
>> > And it's not just BRIN. This is what I get with a GIN index:
>>
>> Sounds like the same kind of thing we just fixed for SP-GiST :-(
>
> Most likely I modelled the BRIN code after GIN.

It's better to create a new index AM that estimates the number of
index tuples, and to update the index stats using that returned value?

Date:
On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 08:58:11PM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found that pg_class.reltuples of brin indexes can be either the
> number of index tuples or the number of heap tuples.
>
> =# create table test as select generate_series(1,100000) as c;
> =# create index test_brin on test using brin (c);
> =# analyze test;
> =# select relname, reltuples, relpages from pg_class where relname in
> ('test', 'test_brin');
>   relname  | reltuples | relpages
> -----------+-----------+----------
>  test      |     100000 |       443
>  test_brin |     100000 |        3
> (2 rows)
>
> =# vacuum test;
> =# select relname, reltuples, relpages from pg_class where relname in
> ('test', 'test_brin');
>   relname  | reltuples | relpages
> -----------+-----------+----------
>  test      |     100000 |       443
>  test_brin |         3 |        3
> (2 rows)
>
> If I understand correctly pg_class.reltuples of indexes should have
> the number of index tuples but especially for brin indexes it would be
> hard to estimate it in the analyze code. I thought that we can change
> brinvacuumcleanup so that it returns the estimated number of index
> tuples and do vac_update_relstats using that value but it would break
> API contract. Better ideas?

I assume there is nothing to do on this issue.

Date:
On 11/21/23 21:48, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 08:58:11PM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>>
>> If I understand correctly pg_class.reltuples of indexes should have
>> the number of index tuples but especially for brin indexes it would be
>> hard to estimate it in the analyze code. I thought that we can change
>> brinvacuumcleanup so that it returns the estimated number of index
>> tuples and do vac_update_relstats using that value but it would break
>> API contract. Better ideas?
>
> I assume there is nothing to do on this issue.

I'm not sure. I think the current behavior is (still) wrong - I just
rediscovered it during testing BRIN. I haven't checked, but I guess GIN
is still affected too.

What's not clear to me is if this is merely cosmetic issue (making
pg_class data confusing for people), or if it has some practical impact.
And I'm not sure there's a good way to improve this, except for some
basic guesswork. For BRIN I can imagine simply calculating the number of
page ranges (relpages / pages_per_range), but no idea about GIN.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pg_class.reltuples of brin indexes

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 02:08:41AM +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> I'm not sure. I think the current behavior is (still) wrong - I just
> rediscovered it during testing BRIN. I haven't checked, but I guess GIN
> is still affected too.
>
> What's not clear to me is if this is merely cosmetic issue (making
> pg_class data confusing for people), or if it has some practical impact.
> And I'm not sure there's a good way to improve this, except for some
> basic guesswork. For BRIN I can imagine simply calculating the number of
> page ranges (relpages / pages_per_range), but no idea about GIN.

FWIW, this area of the code rings a few bells:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/17787-b2dbe62bdfabd467@postgresql.org
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/17205-42b1d8f131f0cf97@postgresql.org
--
Michael