Documentation for varbit is missing size parameter

From
PG Doc comments form
Date:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/datatype.html

The documentation for the varbit data type is missing the size parameter "[
(n) ]".

Re: Documentation for varbit is missing size parameter

From
Euler Taveira
Date:
> The documentation for the varbit data type is missing the size parameter "[
> (n) ]".

Good catch! It seems to be an oversight in commit
768b647ead78d0d63915c1708cad13c2468f9440. The attached patch adds it.

--
   Euler Taveira                                   Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/

Re: Documentation for varbit is missing size parameter

Date:
On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 01:17:04AM -0300, Euler Taveira wrote:
> > The documentation for the varbit data type is missing the size parameter "[
> > (n) ]".
> >
> Good catch! It seems to be an oversight in commit
> 768b647ead78d0d63915c1708cad13c2468f9440. The attached patch adds it.

Wow, that commit is from 2004.  Patch applied and backpatched to v10.

Re: Documentation for varbit is missing size parameter

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 5:18 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 01:17:04AM -0300, Euler Taveira wrote:
> > The documentation for the varbit data type is missing the size parameter "[
> > (n) ]".
> >
> Good catch! It seems to be an oversight in commit
> 768b647ead78d0d63915c1708cad13c2468f9440. The attached patch adds it.

Wow, that commit is from 2004.  Patch applied and backpatched to v10.

If it goes all the way back to 2004, why not backpatch further?

--

Re: Documentation for varbit is missing size parameter

Date:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 05:39:46PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 5:18 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 01:17:04AM -0300, Euler Taveira wrote:
>     > 2018-03-11 1:43 GMT-03:00 PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org>:
>     > > The documentation for the varbit data type is missing the size
>     parameter "[
>     > > (n) ]".
>     > >
>     > Good catch! It seems to be an oversight in commit
>     > 768b647ead78d0d63915c1708cad13c2468f9440. The attached patch adds it.
>
>     Wow, that commit is from 2004.  Patch applied and backpatched to v10.
>

> If it goes all the way back to 2004, why not backpatch further?

Uh, I am always debating how important it is to backpatck vs the churn
we require of translations of our docs.  In this case, it didn't seem
worthwhile to have all of those translations try to deal with this
change for all those back branches.

Date:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 6:26 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 05:39:46PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 5:18 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 01:17:04AM -0300, Euler Taveira wrote:
>     > 2018-03-11 1:43 GMT-03:00 PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org>:
>     > > The documentation for the varbit data type is missing the size
>     parameter "[
>     > > (n) ]".
>     > >
>     > Good catch! It seems to be an oversight in commit
>     > 768b647ead78d0d63915c1708cad13c2468f9440. The attached patch adds it.
>
>     Wow, that commit is from 2004.  Patch applied and backpatched to v10.
>

> If it goes all the way back to 2004, why not backpatch further?

Uh, I am always debating how important it is to backpatck vs the churn
we require of translations of our docs.  In this case, it didn't seem
worthwhile to have all of those translations try to deal with this
change for all those back branches.

If it's a clean backpatch I'd say it is -- people who are using PostgreSQL 9.6 will be reading the documentation for 9.6 etc, so they will not know about the fix then.

If it's not a clean backpatch I can certainly see considering it, but if it's not a lot of effort then I'd say it's definitely worth it.

I really don't think considerations for translators of the *docs* are an issue here. If you don't backpatch it, then nobody gets the fix. If you backpatch it, then English readers do get the fix, and translated docs readers *might* get the fix, depending on how they are maintained. It's not like translatable strings where if they change in a backbranch they will revert to English unless the translation is updated -- for the docs, they just don't get the fix.

--

Re: Documentation for varbit is missing size parameter

Date:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 06:28:15PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 6:26 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>     Uh, I am always debating how important it is to backpatck vs the churn
>     we require of translations of our docs.  In this case, it didn't seem
>     worthwhile to have all of those translations try to deal with this
>     change for all those back branches.

> If it's a clean backpatch I'd say it is -- people who are using PostgreSQL 9.6
> will be reading the documentation for 9.6 etc, so they will not know about the
> fix then.
>
> If it's not a clean backpatch I can certainly see considering it, but if it's
> not a lot of effort then I'd say it's definitely worth it.
>
> I really don't think considerations for translators of the *docs* are an issue
> here. If you don't backpatch it, then nobody gets the fix. If you backpatch it,
> then English readers do get the fix, and translated docs readers *might* get
> the fix, depending on how they are maintained. It's not like translatable
> strings where if they change in a backbranch they will revert to English unless
> the translation is updated -- for the docs, they just don't get the fix.

My logic is that the more we backpatch, the less likely translators are
going to be to keep their docs up-to-date with minor releases since the
minor release diff is larger and contains more items that aren't
_required_ for correctness.

I looked at this patch and thought it was more a stylistic item rather
than a correction.  Is that right?

Re: Documentation for varbit is missing size parameter

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
On Friday, March 30, 2018, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
I looked at this patch and thought it was more a stylistic item rather
than a correction.  Is that right?

Looks like a syntax bug fix to me - especially since it is a reference table.  Those should be back-patched.

David J.

Re: Documentation for varbit is missing size parameter

Date:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 10:31:07AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Friday, March 30, 2018, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     I looked at this patch and thought it was more a stylistic item rather
>     than a correction.  Is that right?
>

> Looks like a syntax bug fix to me - especially since it is a reference table.
> Those should be back-patched.

OK, now backpatched through 9.3.

Date:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 7:34 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 10:31:07AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Friday, March 30, 2018, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     I looked at this patch and thought it was more a stylistic item rather
>     than a correction.  Is that right?
>

> Looks like a syntax bug fix to me - especially since it is a reference table.
> Those should be back-patched.

OK, now backpatched through 9.3.

Thanks!