Help troubleshooting SubtransControlLock problems

From
Scott Frazer
Date:
Hi, we have a Postgres 9.6 setup using replication that has recently started seeing a lot of processes stuck in "SubtransControlLock" as a wait_event on the read-replicas. Like this, only usually about 300-800 of them:

 179706 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock

 186602 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock

 186606 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock

 180947 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock

 186621 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
The server then begins to crawl, with some queries just never finishing until I finally shut the server down.

Searching for that particular combo of wait_event_type and wait_event only seems to turn up the page about statistics collection, but no helpful information on troubleshooting this lock.

Restarting the replica server clears the locks and allows us to start working again, but it's happened twice now in 12 hours and I'm worried it will happen again.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start looking?

Thanks,
Scott

Re: Help troubleshooting SubtransControlLock problems

From
Rene Romero Benavides
Date:
For such issues, I find this view very useful (the first one):

Examine blocking_pid's ,  and tell us what kind of operation is blocking the other processes . Also, are there many long running transactions in your server?

--
El genio es 1% inspiración y 99% transpiración.
Thomas Alva Edison

Re: Help troubleshooting SubtransControlLock problems

From
Scott Frazer
Date:
These don't seem like normal locks. Nothing shows up in a  "SELECT relation::regclass, * FROM pg_locks WHERE NOT GRANTED;"

These processes are all active but the wait_event and wait_event_type fields indicate they are waiting on (I believe) shared memory locks.

  pid   | usesysid |   usename    |              application_name               |         state_change          | wait_e

vent_type |     wait_event      | state

--------+----------+--------------+---------------------------------------------+-------------------------------+-------

----------+---------------------+--------

 165024 |    16392 | content_user | application | nymapp01.nym | 6192  | 2018-03-07 09:19:09.770155-06 | LWLock

Named     | SubtransControlLock | active

[...]

Laurenz Albe
Date:
Scott Frazer wrote:
> Hi, we have a Postgres 9.6 setup using replication that has recently started seeing a lot of processes stuck in
> "SubtransControlLock" as a wait_event on the read-replicas. Like this, only usually about 300-800 of them:
>

>  179706 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
>  186602 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
>  186606 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
>  180947 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
>  186621 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
>
> The server then begins to crawl, with some queries just never finishing until I finally shut the server down.
>
> Searching for that particular combo of wait_event_type and wait_event only seems to turn up the page
> about statistics collection, but no helpful information on troubleshooting this lock.
>
> Restarting the replica server clears the locks and allows us to start working again, but it's happened
> twice now in 12 hours and I'm worried it will happen again.
>
> Does anyone have any advice on where to start looking?

I don't think there is any connection to statistics collection.

This lock is used when subtransactions (SAVEPOINTs in SQL or EXCEPTION blocks
in PL/pgSQL) are created, read or removed.

This sounds like a PostgreSQL bug.

What is the exact PostgreSQL version you are running?

It would be cool if you could get a stack trace from the backend that is holding the lock.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Help troubleshooting SubtransControlLock problems

From
Scott Frazer
Date:
Server version is 9.6.5

Is there a decent guide to getting a stack trace on Centos7 when using the official Postgres repo? trying to follow the Fedora guide put the debug info for 9.2.23 on the box instead of the 9.6.5 version.

Date:
Scott Frazer wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 9:52 AM, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
> > Scott Frazer wrote:
> > > Hi, we have a Postgres 9.6 setup using replication that has recently started seeing a lot of processes stuck in
> > > "SubtransControlLock" as a wait_event on the read-replicas. Like this, only usually about 300-800 of them:
> > >

> > >  179706 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
> > >  186602 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
> > >  186606 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
> > >  180947 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
> > >  186621 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
> > >
> > > The server then begins to crawl, with some queries just never finishing until I finally shut the server down.
> > >
> > > Searching for that particular combo of wait_event_type and wait_event only seems to turn up the page
> > > about statistics collection, but no helpful information on troubleshooting this lock.
> > >
> > > Restarting the replica server clears the locks and allows us to start working again, but it's happened
> > > twice now in 12 hours and I'm worried it will happen again.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any advice on where to start looking?
> >
> > I don't think there is any connection to statistics collection.
> >
> > This lock is used when subtransactions (SAVEPOINTs in SQL or EXCEPTION blocks
> > in PL/pgSQL) are created, read or removed.
> >
> > This sounds like a PostgreSQL bug.
> >
> > What is the exact PostgreSQL version you are running?
> >
> > It would be cool if you could get a stack trace from the backend that is holding the lock.
>
> Server version is 9.6.5
>
> Is there a decent guide to getting a stack trace on Centos7 when using the official Postgres repo?
> trying to follow the Fedora guide put the debug info for 9.2.23 on the box instead of the 9.6.5 version.

You'll have to install debuginfo from the same source where you got PostgreSQL.
It has to be for the same database version.

You should upgrade to 9.6.8 and see if the problem persists.

There is a guid how to get a stack trace at
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Getting_a_stack_trace_of_a_running_PostgreSQL_backend_on_Linux/BSD

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Help troubleshooting SubtransControlLock problems

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Laurenz Albe wrote:
> Scott Frazer wrote:
> > Hi, we have a Postgres 9.6 setup using replication that has recently started seeing a lot of processes stuck in
> > "SubtransControlLock" as a wait_event on the read-replicas. Like this, only usually about 300-800 of them:
> >

> >  179706 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock

I think you could get in this situation if the range of open
transactions exceeds what fits in the buffers for subtrans.c pages, and
the subtransaction cache overflows (64 entries apiece;
PGPROC_MAX_CACHED_SUBXIDS in src/include/storage/proc.h).  Each page is
2048 transactions (4 bytes per xact, 8192 bytes per page;
SUBTRANS_XACTS_PER_PAGE in src/backend/access/transam/subtrans.c), and
we keep 32 pages (NUM_SUBTRANS_BUFFERS src/include/access/subtrans.h).
So if your oldest transaction is over 64k XIDs old, and you have
transactions with more than 64 subtransactions, you get in trouble.

A simple solution is to increase NUM_SUBTRANS_BUFFERS and recompile.

Date:
On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 10:39 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Laurenz Albe wrote:
> I think you could get in this situation if the range of open
> transactions exceeds what fits in the buffers for subtrans.c pages, and
> the subtransaction cache overflows (64 entries apiece;
> PGPROC_MAX_CACHED_SUBXIDS in src/include/storage/proc.h).  Each page is
> 2048 transactions (4 bytes per xact, 8192 bytes per page;
> SUBTRANS_XACTS_PER_PAGE in src/backend/access/transam/subtrans.c), and
> we keep 32 pages (NUM_SUBTRANS_BUFFERS src/include/access/subtrans.h).
> So if your oldest transaction is over 64k XIDs old, and you have
> transactions with more than 64 subtransactions, you get in trouble.
>
> A simple solution is to increase NUM_SUBTRANS_BUFFERS and recompile.

Currently this seems to be happening when the server just starts taking connections. It doesn't even need time to scale up anymore (previously it took about 8 hours for the problem to re-appear)

It's only happening on the read replicas, though. I've just set my master to handle all the traffic, but that's not really sustainable

Date:
Scott Frazer wrote:

> Currently this seems to be happening when the server just starts taking
> connections. It doesn't even need time to scale up anymore (previously it
> took about 8 hours for the problem to re-appear)
>
> It's only happening on the read replicas, though. I've just set my master
> to handle all the traffic, but that's not really sustainable

I failed to notice at start of thread that these were replicas.  I
suppose then you would have to be thinking about the range of XIDs in
the primary server.  Maybe you left some old transaction open, or an
uncommitted prepared transaction there?

If not, I suppose you're up for some "perf" profiling ...

Date:
On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 3:50 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Scott Frazer wrote:
>
> > It's only happening on the read replicas, though. I've just set my master
> > to handle all the traffic, but that's not really sustainable
>
> I failed to notice at start of thread that these were replicas.  I
> suppose then you would have to be thinking about the range of XIDs in
> the primary server.  Maybe you left some old transaction open, or an
> uncommitted prepared transaction there?
>
> If not, I suppose you're up for some "perf" profiling ...

I think you got it. I found a 2-day old transaction on the master server that never closed. I had to pg_terminate_backend on it and the problem seems to have cleared up.