Re: Help troubleshooting SubtransControlLock problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Help troubleshooting SubtransControlLock problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Frazer wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 9:52 AM, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
> > Scott Frazer wrote:
> > > Hi, we have a Postgres 9.6 setup using replication that has recently started seeing a lot of processes stuck in
> > > "SubtransControlLock" as a wait_event on the read-replicas. Like this, only usually about 300-800 of them:
> > >

> > >  179706 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
> > >  186602 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
> > >  186606 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
> > >  180947 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
> > >  186621 | LWLockNamed     | SubtransControlLock
> > >
> > > The server then begins to crawl, with some queries just never finishing until I finally shut the server down.
> > >
> > > Searching for that particular combo of wait_event_type and wait_event only seems to turn up the page
> > > about statistics collection, but no helpful information on troubleshooting this lock.
> > >
> > > Restarting the replica server clears the locks and allows us to start working again, but it's happened
> > > twice now in 12 hours and I'm worried it will happen again.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any advice on where to start looking?
> >
> > I don't think there is any connection to statistics collection.
> >
> > This lock is used when subtransactions (SAVEPOINTs in SQL or EXCEPTION blocks
> > in PL/pgSQL) are created, read or removed.
> >
> > This sounds like a PostgreSQL bug.
> >
> > What is the exact PostgreSQL version you are running?
> >
> > It would be cool if you could get a stack trace from the backend that is holding the lock.
>
> Server version is 9.6.5
>
> Is there a decent guide to getting a stack trace on Centos7 when using the official Postgres repo?
> trying to follow the Fedora guide put the debug info for 9.2.23 on the box instead of the 9.6.5 version.

You'll have to install debuginfo from the same source where you got PostgreSQL.
It has to be for the same database version.

You should upgrade to 9.6.8 and see if the problem persists.

There is a guid how to get a stack trace at
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Getting_a_stack_trace_of_a_running_PostgreSQL_backend_on_Linux/BSD

Yours,
Laurenz Albe