removal of md5 from example code

From
PG Doc comments form
Date:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/citext.html

The documentation at
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/citext.html shows an example
using md5 for password hashes. This is generally a bad practice and not
relevant to the feature documented.

I recommend removing the password column from this example or replacing the
md5 hash with something more secure (a secure hash algorithm with a salt).

Re: removal of md5 from example code

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 1/17/18 11:14, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> The documentation at
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/citext.html shows an example
> using md5 for password hashes. This is generally a bad practice and not
> relevant to the feature documented.
>
> I recommend removing the password column from this example or replacing the
> md5 hash with something more secure (a secure hash algorithm with a salt).

We don't have any other hash functions built in and exposed at the SQL
level.  (Maybe that is a problem.)  Do you have any other ideas how to
rewrite that example?

Re: removal of md5 from example code

From
Jon Wolski
Date:
I think I get it, now.

Is the reason for including the `pass` in the example so that the documentation can demonstrate `citext` along side case-sensitive text?

If so, I struggle to come up with anything more obvious than a password hash for a case where case-sensitive comparison of text is necessary. The only other thing that comes to mind is an external system identifier like a Salesforce object id of a user. That would not be as universally obvious an example of case-sensitivity to all PostgreSQL users..

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Date:
On 1/17/18 11:14, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> The documentation at
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/citext.html shows an example
> using md5 for password hashes. This is generally a bad practice and not
> relevant to the feature documented.
>
> I recommend removing the password column from this example or replacing the
> md5 hash with something more secure (a secure hash algorithm with a salt).

This has been fixed in the master branch.