Suspicious call of initial_cost_hashjoin()

From
Antonin Houska
Date:
try_partial_hashjoin_path() passes constant true to for the parallel_hash
argument of initial_cost_hashjoin(). Shouldn't it instead pass the
parallel_hash argument that it receives?

This is related to commit 1804284042e659e7d16904e7bbb0ad546394b6a3.

--
Antonin Houska
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH

Re: Suspicious call of initial_cost_hashjoin()

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:
> try_partial_hashjoin_path() passes constant true to for the parallel_hash
> argument of initial_cost_hashjoin(). Shouldn't it instead pass the
> parallel_hash argument that it receives?

Thanks.  Yeah.  When initial_cost_hashjoin() calls
get_parallel_divisor() on a non-partial inner path I think it would
return 1.0, so no damage was done there, but when
ExecChooseHashTableSize() receives try_combined_work_mem == true it
might underestimate the number of batches required for a partial hash
join without parallel hash, because it would incorrectly assume that a
single batch join could use the combined work_mem budget.  This was
quite well hidden because ExecHashTableCreate() calls
ExecChooseHashTableSize() again (rather than reusing the results from
planning time), so the bad nbatch estimate doesn't show up anywhere.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: Re: Suspicious call of initial_cost_hashjoin()

From
David Steele
Date:
Hi Antonin,

On 12/22/17 6:13 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:
>> try_partial_hashjoin_path() passes constant true to for the parallel_hash
>> argument of initial_cost_hashjoin(). Shouldn't it instead pass the
>> parallel_hash argument that it receives?
>
> Thanks.  Yeah.  When initial_cost_hashjoin() calls
> get_parallel_divisor() on a non-partial inner path I think it would
> return 1.0, so no damage was done there, but when
> ExecChooseHashTableSize() receives try_combined_work_mem == true it
> might underestimate the number of batches required for a partial hash
> join without parallel hash, because it would incorrectly assume that a
> single batch join could use the combined work_mem budget.  This was
> quite well hidden because ExecHashTableCreate() calls
> ExecChooseHashTableSize() again (rather than reusing the results from
> planning time), so the bad nbatch estimate doesn't show up anywhere.

Does this look right to you?  If so, can you sign up as a reviewer and
mark it Ready for Committer?

-David
david@pgmasters.net

Date:
David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:

> On 12/22/17 6:13 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:
> >> try_partial_hashjoin_path() passes constant true to for the parallel_hash
> >> argument of initial_cost_hashjoin(). Shouldn't it instead pass the
> >> parallel_hash argument that it receives?
> >
> > Thanks.  Yeah.  When initial_cost_hashjoin() calls
> > get_parallel_divisor() on a non-partial inner path I think it would
> > return 1.0, so no damage was done there, but when
> > ExecChooseHashTableSize() receives try_combined_work_mem == true it
> > might underestimate the number of batches required for a partial hash
> > join without parallel hash, because it would incorrectly assume that a
> > single batch join could use the combined work_mem budget.  This was
> > quite well hidden because ExecHashTableCreate() calls
> > ExecChooseHashTableSize() again (rather than reusing the results from
> > planning time), so the bad nbatch estimate doesn't show up anywhere.

> Does this look right to you?

Yes, this is what I meant. The patch applies cleanly and the code compiles
well.

> If so, can you sign up as a reviewer and mark it Ready for Committer?

Done.

Actually I think it'd be nice if the "parallel_hash" argument was mentioned in
the header comment of initial_cost_hashjoin() function, but not sure this is
worth returning the patch to the author.

--

Date:
On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 9:06 PM, Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:
> David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
>> Does this look right to you?
>
> Yes, this is what I meant. The patch applies cleanly and the code compiles
> well.
>
>> If so, can you sign up as a reviewer and mark it Ready for Committer?
>
> Done.

Thanks.

> Actually I think it'd be nice if the "parallel_hash" argument was mentioned in
> the header comment of initial_cost_hashjoin() function, but not sure this is
> worth returning the patch to the author.

Done.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: Suspicious call of initial_cost_hashjoin()

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 3/2/18 05:01, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 9:06 PM, Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:
>> David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
>>> Does this look right to you?
>>
>> Yes, this is what I meant. The patch applies cleanly and the code compiles
>> well.
>>
>>> If so, can you sign up as a reviewer and mark it Ready for Committer?
>>
>> Done.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Actually I think it'd be nice if the "parallel_hash" argument was mentioned in
>> the header comment of initial_cost_hashjoin() function, but not sure this is
>> worth returning the patch to the author.
>
> Done.

committed