Major French companies officially asking sofware vendors to supportPostgreSQL

From
Damien Clochard
Date:
The French PostgreSQL Cross-Enterprise Work Group, a non-profit
organization advocating for the adoption and use of PostgreSQL, just
published an open letter to all software vendors that don’t already do
so to take steps to support PostgreSQL as a database management system
(DBMS).

The ambition of this initiative is to incite them to adapt quickly to
the irresistible IT transformation in progress in public and private
companies.

Created in 2016, the PostgreSQL Cross-Enterprise Work Group ( called
“Groupe de Travail Inter-Entreprise” or “GT Entreprise” in French) is a
dedidacted task force inside the PostgreSQLFr non-profit association
(https://www.postgresql.fr/asso/). Over the last months,it has grown
remarkably.

In a new press release published yesterday, the workgroup sent an open
letter to software vendors asking them officially to support PostgreSQL.

* Original version :
<https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/20171206_lettre_ouverte_aux_editeurs_de_logiciels>

* English translation :
<https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/english>

This is a major step for PostgreSQL in France and in the french-speaking
  countries. For the first time, more than 20 national and international
companies take an explicit stance in favor of PostgreSQL by recognizing
the technical value of the software but also highlighting the benefits
of the open source model itself.

Among these companies and public agencies, you can find :
* Air France,
* Carrefour (retail),
* CASDEN (bank),
* CNES (national space study center),
* EDF,
* MSA / GIE AGORA (mutual insurance),
* E.Leclerc (retail),
* MAIF (mutual insurance),
* Météo France (national weather forecast agency),
* The National Education Ministry,
* PeopleDoc,
* SNCF (national railway company),
* Société Générale (bank)
* Tokheim Services Group

These institutions gathered in the PostgreSQLFr association to share
their experience, promote PostgreSQL and contribute to its development.
 Beyond these 3 big missions, the remarkable point is that the group
organized itself by adopting the great principles of the PostgreSQL
community: openess, mutual help, transparency, self-organization, etc.

To discover the other activities of the group, you can come to the booth
of the PostgreSQL community during the Paris Open Summit 2017 or read
the wiki page of the workgroup :

* Original version: <https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/>
* English translation: <https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/welcome>

--
Damien Clochard

Re: Major French companies officially asking sofware vendors tosupport PostgreSQL

From
Andreas Karlsson
Date:
On 12/07/2017 08:13 AM, Damien Clochard wrote:> Among these companies
and public agencies, you can find :
> * Air France,
> * Carrefour (retail),
> * CASDEN (bank),
> * CNES (national space study center),
> * EDF,
> * MSA / GIE AGORA (mutual insurance),
> * E.Leclerc (retail),
> * MAIF (mutual insurance),
> * Météo France (national weather forecast agency),
> * The National Education Ministry,
> * PeopleDoc,
> * SNCF (national railway company),
> * Société Générale (bank)
> * Tokheim Services Group

That is an impressive list of organizations. Nice work!

Andreas

On 7 Dec 2017, at 07:13, Damien Clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:

> The French PostgreSQL Cross-Enterprise Work Group, a non-profit organization advocating for the adoption and use of
PostgreSQL,just published an open letter to all software vendors that don’t already do so to take steps to support
PostgreSQLas a database management system (DBMS).

> The ambition of this initiative is to incite them to adapt quickly to the irresistible IT transformation in progress
inpublic and private companies.

> Created in 2016, the PostgreSQL Cross-Enterprise Work Group ( called “Groupe de Travail Inter-Entreprise” or “GT
Entreprise”in French) is a dedidacted task force inside the PostgreSQLFr non-profit association
(https://www.postgresql.fr/asso/).Over the last months,it has grown remarkably.

> In a new press release published yesterday, the workgroup sent an open letter to software vendors asking them
officiallyto support PostgreSQL.

> * Original version :
> <https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/20171206_lettre_ouverte_aux_editeurs_de_logiciels>
>
> * English translation :
> <https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/english>
[snip]

Awesome. :)

This seems like the kind of thing that should go on the PostgreSQL
website's "News" section.  Well, the English translation of it, as
the .org website is English focused.

Also - very minor - there's a typo on the first sentence of the English
page:

  https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/english

"... is a dedidacted task force ..." ← dedicated is spelled wrong. ;)

For press release's, it's probably worth fixing though.  First impression
stuff, etc. ;)

Out of curiosity, how much time and effort has it taken to get the French
PostgreSQL Cross-Enterprise Work Group up and running?  Sounds like a lot.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi

Re: Major French companies officially asking sofware vendors tosupport PostgreSQL

From
Jean-Paul Argudo
Date:
Dear Justin,

Le jeudi 07 décembre 2017 à 14:11 +0000, Justin Clift a écrit :
> On 7 Dec 2017, at 07:13, Damien Clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
> >
> > The French PostgreSQL Cross-Enterprise Work Group, a non-profit
> > organization advocating for the adoption and use of PostgreSQL,
> > just published an open letter to all software vendors that don’t
> > already do so to take steps to support PostgreSQL as a database
> > management system (DBMS).
> >
> > The ambition of this initiative is to incite them to adapt quickly
> > to the irresistible IT transformation in progress in public and
> > private companies.
> >
> > Created in 2016, the PostgreSQL Cross-Enterprise Work Group (
> > called “Groupe de Travail Inter-Entreprise” or “GT Entreprise” in
> > French) is a dedidacted task force inside the PostgreSQLFr non-
> > profit association (https://www.postgresql.fr/asso/). Over the last
> > months,it has grown remarkably.
> >
> > In a new press release published yesterday, the workgroup sent an
> > open letter to software vendors asking them officially to support
> > PostgreSQL.
> >
> > * Original version :
> > <https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/20171206_lettre_ouverte_aux_
> > editeurs_de_logiciels>
> >
> > * English translation :
> > <https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/english>
>
> [snip]
>
> Awesome. :)

Indeed :-)

> This seems like the kind of thing that should go on the PostgreSQL
> website's "News" section.  Well, the English translation of it, as
> the .org website is English focused.

Definitely +1

But Damien, as the President of PostgreSQLFr NPO will answer this. He
may have more information on it.

> Also - very minor - there's a typo on the first sentence of the
> English
> page:
>
>   https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/english
>
> "... is a dedidacted task force ..." ← dedicated is spelled wrong. ;)
>
> For press release's, it's probably worth fixing though.  First
> impression
> stuff, etc. ;)
>
> Out of curiosity, how much time and effort has it taken to get the
> French
> PostgreSQL Cross-Enterprise Work Group up and running?  Sounds like a
> lot.

This depends a lot on what has to be counted.

This cross-enterprise group was created around november 2016,
officially, after we talk a lot of it some months before. Since then,
we all try to convince users (and, let's say, customers also) to join
this group. It's composed only of users. No IT services companies are
allowed to join. Under PGFR's NPO, the independancy of the group is
guaranteed. Also, Damien from PGFR and Simon from SNCF have to be
rewarded a lot for the time and efforts they put in this.

But the tree would never have grown without lots of people efforts
here, includling translators, coders, users, simple DBAs giving time
and efforts... to plant the seeds, years ago!

And a special founder is surely Bruce that put some pressure on us to
launch PostgreSQL.fr in ~2004. That was a great idea ;-)

Cheers,

On 7 Dec 2017, at 14:57, Jean-Paul Argudo <jpa@argudo.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> lot.
>
> This depends a lot on what has to be counted.
>
> This cross-enterprise group was created around november 2016,
> officially, after we talk a lot of it some months before. Since then,
> we all try to convince users (and, let's say, customers also) to join
> this group. It's composed only of users. No IT services companies are
> allowed to join. Under PGFR's NPO, the independancy of the group is
> guaranteed. Also, Damien from PGFR and Simon from SNCF have to be
> rewarded a lot for the time and efforts they put in this.
>
> But the tree would never have grown without lots of people efforts
> here, includling translators, coders, users, simple DBAs giving time
> and efforts... to plant the seeds, years ago!
>
> And a special founder is surely Bruce that put some pressure on us to
> launch PostgreSQL.fr in ~2004. That was a great idea ;-)

Awesome.  It's a real, proper, user consortium.  Those things take
*time*, so very, very well done. :)

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Re: Major French companies officially asking sofware vendors tosupport PostgreSQL

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi Damien,

> On Dec 7, 2017, at 2:13 AM, Damien Clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
>

> The French PostgreSQL Cross-Enterprise Work Group, a non-profit organization advocating for the adoption and use of
PostgreSQL,just published an open letter to all software vendors that don’t already do so to take steps to support
PostgreSQLas a database management system (DBMS).

> The ambition of this initiative is to incite them to adapt quickly to the irresistible IT transformation in progress
inpublic and private companies.

> Created in 2016, the PostgreSQL Cross-Enterprise Work Group ( called “Groupe de Travail Inter-Entreprise” or “GT
Entreprise”in French) is a dedidacted task force inside the PostgreSQLFr non-profit association
(https://www.postgresql.fr/asso/).Over the last months,it has grown remarkably.

> In a new press release published yesterday, the workgroup sent an open letter to software vendors asking them
officiallyto support PostgreSQL.

> * Original version :
> <https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/20171206_lettre_ouverte_aux_editeurs_de_logiciels>
>
> * English translation :
> <https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/english>
>

> This is a major step for PostgreSQL in France and in the french-speaking  countries. For the first time, more than 20
nationaland international companies take an explicit stance in favor of PostgreSQL by recognizing the technical value
ofthe software but also highlighting the benefits of the open source model itself.

> Among these companies and public agencies, you can find :
> * Air France,
> * Carrefour (retail),
> * CASDEN (bank),
> * CNES (national space study center),
> * EDF,
> * MSA / GIE AGORA (mutual insurance),
> * E.Leclerc (retail),
> * MAIF (mutual insurance),
> * Météo France (national weather forecast agency),
> * The National Education Ministry,
> * PeopleDoc,
> * SNCF (national railway company),
> * Société Générale (bank)
> * Tokheim Services Group
>
> These institutions gathered in the PostgreSQLFr association to share their experience, promote PostgreSQL and
contributeto its development.  Beyond these 3 big missions, the remarkable point is that the group  organized itself by
adoptingthe great principles of the PostgreSQL community: openess, mutual help, transparency, self-organization, etc.

> To discover the other activities of the group, you can come to the booth of the PostgreSQL community during the Paris
OpenSummit 2017 or read the wiki page of the workgroup :

> * Original version: <https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/>
> * English translation: <https://www.postgresql.fr/entreprises/welcome>

This is exciting news indeed! To echo Justin, the press release could also be submitted to .org as it would qualify
underthe PostgreSQL “family” news policy.

Also a small comment for an improvement: I would suggest having links to the websites of the companies where the logos
aredisplayed.  It would be useful for people who want to understand more about the companies and what kinds of problems
theyare using PostgreSQL to solve for.

Looking forward to seeing what results come out of this group!

Best,

Jonathan

RE: Major French companies officially asking sofware vendors tosupport PostgreSQL

From
"Tsunakawa, Takayuki"
> From: Damien Clochard [mailto:damien@dalibo.info]
> The French PostgreSQL Cross-Enterprise Work Group, a non-profit
> organization advocating for the adoption and use of PostgreSQL, just
> published an open letter to all software vendors that don’t already do so
> to take steps to support PostgreSQL as a database management system (DBMS).

That's heart-warming news.  I wish more and more software will support PostgreSQL.  Then, I'll make this wiki richer so
thatPostgreSQL appears to be more prosperous.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Ecosystem:PostgreSQL_ecosystem

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa