BUG #14921: searchable docs

From
pieter.van.den.hombergh@gmail.com
Date:

Bug reference:      14921
Logged by:          Pieter van den Hombergh
Email address:      pieter.van.den.hombergh@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 10.1
Operating system:   linux

In our university, postgres is the db of choice. Our data base exams have a
postgres instance plus doc on a live usb stick. It would be a nice service
to the students if we could add searchable docs instead of just the static
html docs during the exams.

Is it possible to get an installable and searcheable doc version, such as
you provide on your website?

Re: BUG #14921: searchable docs

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 11/23/2017 7:05 AM, pieter.van.den.hombergh@gmail.com wrote:
> In our university, postgres is the db of choice. Our data base exams have a
> postgres instance plus doc on a live usb stick. It would be a nice service
> to the students if we could add searchable docs instead of just the static
> html docs during the exams.
>
> Is it possible to get an installable and searcheable doc version, such as
> you provide on your website?

A) this isn't a big

B) that would require a web server and search engine be distributed too,
and if the host is already running a webserver, somehow integrating it,
very OS distribution specific.

Re: BUG #14921: searchable docs

From
John McKown
Date:
On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 9:13 AM, John R Pierce wrote: > On 11/23/2017 7:05 AM, pieter.van.den.hombergh@gmail.com wrote: > >> In our university, postgres is the db of choice. Our data base exams have >> a >> postgres instance plus doc on a live usb stick. It would be a nice service >> to the students if we could add searchable docs instead of just the static >> html docs during the exams. >> >> Is it possible to get an installable and searcheable doc version, such as >> you provide on your website? >> > > > A) this isn't a big > > B) that would require a web server and search engine be distributed too, > and if the host is already running a webserver, somehow integrating it, > very OS distribution specific. > > -- > john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz > > ​Probably a stupid thought on my part, but would it be possible to load the documentation into a PostgreSQL data base and use "full text search" on it? I've only read a very little on this feature, so I'm very ignorant on what it can do.​ -- I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove it. Maranatha! <>< John McKown

Re: BUG #14921: searchable docs

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
John McKown wrote:

> Probably a stupid thought on my part, but would it be possible to load the
> documentation into a PostgreSQL data base and use "full text search" on it?

That's what our website does, AFAIK.

Re: BUG #14921: searchable docs

From
Erik Rijkers
Date:
On 2017-11-23 16:05, pieter.van.den.hombergh@gmail.com wrote:
> In our university, postgres is the db of choice. Our data base exams
> have a
> postgres instance plus doc on a live usb stick. It would be a nice
> service
> to the students if we could add searchable docs instead of just the
> static
> html docs during the exams.
>
> Is it possible to get an installable and searcheable doc version, such
> as
> you provide on your website?

You could either use the one of pdfs, provided on the website at:  https://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/

Or, if you have the wherewithal to compile docs yourself
there is the option to compile into a single file
by doing, inside doc/src/sgml:
   make postgres.html

This yields a single 14 MB file: postgres.html

Perhaps the project can make this file available?
( perhaps it is available already? )

Erik Rijkers

Date:
Thanks! This is a good pointer to the doc source. Op do 23 nov. 2017 17:28 schreef Erik Rijkers : > On 2017-11-23 16:05, pieter.van.den.hombergh@gmail.com wrote: > > In our university, postgres is the db of choice. Our data base exams > > have a > > postgres instance plus doc on a live usb stick. It would be a nice > > service > > to the students if we could add searchable docs instead of just the > > static > > html docs during the exams. > > > > Is it possible to get an installable and searcheable doc version, such > > as > > you provide on your website? > > You could either use the one of pdfs, provided on the website at: > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/ > > Or, if you have the wherewithal to compile docs yourself > there is the option to compile into a single file > by doing, inside doc/src/sgml: > > make postgres.html > > This yields a single 14 MB file: postgres.html > > Perhaps the project can make this file available? > ( perhaps it is available already? ) > > > Erik Rijkers > > > >