pspg - psql pager

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

I finished new pager, that can be interesting for postgresql expert users.

It demonstrate some possibilities of TUI and I hope it shows some possible directions of future possibilities of psql.

It is available as rpm from our repository or you can get source code from github

https://github.com/okbob/pspg

I invite any discussion about this project.

Pavel

p.s. I hope so this pager is useful - I know some users who use it few months intensively. But the source code has proof concept quality. It should be cleaned next year.

Sv: pspg - psql pager

From
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Date:
I finished new pager, that can be interesting for postgresql expert users.

It demonstrate some possibilities of TUI and I hope it shows some possible directions of future possibilities of psql.

It is available as rpm from our repository or you can get source code from github

https://github.com/okbob/pspg

I invite any discussion about this project.

Pavel

p.s. I hope so this pager is useful - I know some users who use it few months intensively. But the source code has proof concept quality. It should be cleaned next year.

Thanks for making this, "-X --no-mouse" made my day.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 4:45 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh
<andreas@visena.com> wrote:
> På onsdag 15. november 2017 kl. 10:41:45, skrev Pavel Stehule
> <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi
>
> I finished new pager, that can be interesting for postgresql expert users.
> Thanks for making this, "-X --no-mouse" made my day.

This was my first bugfix/suggestion :-D.

I use psql all day, every day.   PSPG IS AWESOME, IF YOU USE PSQL GET
IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK.   There are no major issues with it; it's
wonderful.  I do not advise a global definition of PAGER...it will
break other utilities (like man).  I find the best way to invoke the
functionality is via bash:

alias psql='PAGER="/home/mmoncure/pspg -s0 -X --no-mouse" psql'

Thank you Pavel.

merlin

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Pavel Stehule

<andreas@visena.com> wrote:
> På onsdag 15. november 2017 kl. 10:41:45, skrev Pavel Stehule
> <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi
>
> I finished new pager, that can be interesting for postgresql expert users.
> Thanks for making this, "-X --no-mouse" made my day.

This was my first bugfix/suggestion :-D.

I use psql all day, every day.   PSPG IS AWESOME, IF YOU USE PSQL GET
IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK.   There are no major issues with it; it's
wonderful.  I do not advise a global definition of PAGER...it will
break other utilities (like man).  I find the best way to invoke the
functionality is via bash:

:)

you can do it from .psqlrc

\setenv PAGER 'pspg ....'

or

psql from PostgreSQL 11 should to know PSQL_PAGER

Regards

Pavel

alias psql='PAGER="/home/mmoncure/pspg -s0 -X --no-mouse" psql'

Thank you Pavel.

merlin

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Nicolas Barbier
Date:
2017-11-15 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:

> I use psql all day, every day.   PSPG IS AWESOME, IF YOU USE PSQL GET
> IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK.
[..]
> Thank you Pavel.

+1!

I especially love it for the improved handling of wide tables (which
are really annoying with “less”). Also --no-mouse is mandatory for me
because I want to be able to copy/paste pieces of text using my
terminal’s mouse handling.

I didn’t find a way yet to get it as a Debian package, but for now I
just compile it manually.

Thanks a lot,

Nicolas

--
Nēdırlands: https://baviaan.be/N%C4%93d%C4%B1rlands/

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Geoff Winkless
Date:
I finished new pager, that can be interesting for postgresql expert users.

It demonstrate some possibilities of TUI and I hope it shows some possible directions of future possibilities of psql.

It is available as rpm from our repository or you can get source code from github

https://github.com/okbob/pspg

I invite any discussion about this project.

Very nice indeed.

Version hasn't pushed to 0.4 (-V still report 0.3-devel).

On ​RHEL5.3 I get an error on compiling about set_escdelay undefined. Wasn't a major problem, I just commented that line :)

Geoff

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Gibrain
Date:
I can't thank you enough pavel.
I use psql on a daily basis since 8 years ago, with a lot "less" pain,
Love vim keybindings and freeze column features.
Works smoothly in ubuntu 16.04 x86_64.

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Pavel Stehule

I can't thank you enough pavel.
I use psql on a daily basis since 8 years ago, with a lot "less" pain,
Love vim keybindings and freeze column features.
Works smoothly in ubuntu 16.04 x86_64.

:)

pspg is postcardware - if you like it, send me postcard

Regards

Pavel

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Jason Petersen
Date:

This is great! I’ve submitted it to homebrew to aid installation for macOS users… https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/20686

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Pavel Stehule

 I hope so this pager is useful - I know some users who use it few months intensively. But the source code has proof concept quality. It should be cleaned next year.

This is great! I’ve submitted it to homebrew to aid installation for macOS users… https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/20686

Thank you

Pavel

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
"Aaron W. Swenson"
Date:
On 2017-11-15 10:41, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hi
>
> I finished new pager, that can be interesting for postgresql expert users.
>
> It demonstrate some possibilities of TUI and I hope it shows some possible
> directions of future possibilities of psql.
>
> It is available as rpm from our repository or you can get source code from
> github
>
> https://github.com/okbob/pspg
>
> I invite any discussion about this project.
>
> Pavel
>
> p.s. I hope so this pager is useful - I know some users who use it few
> months intensively. But the source code has proof concept quality. It
> should be cleaned next year.

I likes it. I likes it a lot.

And, you’ve got a PR on GitHub from me.

It’s available on Gentoo now!

commit 76fcf5d6c72c89e33c14549ab01dc96ec3ca8a1b
   Introducing a new and better pager to be used with PostgreSQL’s psql.
   Package-Manager: Portage-2.3.13, Repoman-2.3.3

This was probably the fastest and easiest project I’ve made an ebuild for.

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Pavel Stehule

On 2017-11-15 10:41, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hi
>
> I finished new pager, that can be interesting for postgresql expert users.
>
> It demonstrate some possibilities of TUI and I hope it shows some possible
> directions of future possibilities of psql.
>
> It is available as rpm from our repository or you can get source code from
> github
>
> https://github.com/okbob/pspg
>
> I invite any discussion about this project.
>
> Pavel
>
> p.s. I hope so this pager is useful - I know some users who use it few
> months intensively. But the source code has proof concept quality. It
> should be cleaned next year.

I likes it. I likes it a lot.

And, you’ve got a PR on GitHub from me.

It’s available on Gentoo now!

super

Thank you very much

Pavel

Date:
On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I likes it. I likes it a lot.
>>
>> And, you’ve got a PR on GitHub from me.
>>
>> It’s available on Gentoo now!

This would be great package for inclusion in pgdg packaging as well.
Dependencies are minor and compile risk is low.

merlin

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Marco Nenciarini
Date:
Il 15/11/17 10:41, Pavel Stehule ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> I finished new pager, that can be interesting for postgresql expert users.

It is now on apt.postgresql.org

  http://postgr.es/m/E1eFc37-0007rV-8g@atalia.postgresql.org

And will be in Debian Unstable soon as it is in the NEW queue for manual
review from Debian's FTP Master.

   https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/pspg_0.5-1.html

Regards,
Marco

--
Marco Nenciarini - 2ndQuadrant Italy
marco.nenciarini@2ndQuadrant.it | www.2ndQuadrant.it

Attachment

Sv: Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Date:
På fredag 17. november 2017 kl. 10:09:53, skrev Marco Nenciarini <marco.nenciarini@2ndquadrant.it>:
Il 15/11/17 10:41, Pavel Stehule ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> I finished new pager, that can be interesting for postgresql expert users.

It is now on apt.postgresql.org

  http://postgr.es/m/E1eFc37-0007rV-8g@atalia.postgresql.org

And will be in Debian Unstable soon as it is in the NEW queue for manual
review from Debian's FTP Master.

   https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/pspg_0.5-1.html

Regards,
Marco

Coolio!

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

[Removed my email address in the OP, which I am not using since 2010 ;) ]

On Thu, 2017-11-16 at 17:13 -0600, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> This would be great package for inclusion in pgdg packaging as well.

I released this package on Sep 15th, but just noticed the latest version. Pavel
usually creates tickets to ping me, so we are usually up-to-date. The updated
packages will appear in the repos around 30 mins later.

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Pavel Stehule

[Removed my email address in the OP, which I am not using since 2010 ;) ]

On Thu, 2017-11-16 at 17:13 -0600, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> This would be great package for inclusion in pgdg packaging as well.

I released this package on Sep 15th, but just noticed the latest version. Pavel
usually creates tickets to ping me, so we are usually up-to-date. The updated
packages will appear in the repos around 30 mins later.

aha

I though so you have some automatic new gihub release detection.

Regards

Pavel

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: pspg - psql pager

From
Pavel Stehule

Hi

I finished new pager, that can be interesting for postgresql expert users.

It demonstrate some possibilities of TUI and I hope it shows some possible directions of future possibilities of psql.

It is available as rpm from our repository or you can get source code from github

https://github.com/okbob/pspg

I invite any discussion about this project.

Pavel

p.s. I hope so this pager is useful - I know some users who use it few months intensively. But the source code has proof concept quality. It should be cleaned next year.

I know so it is not related to Postgres, but I did some fixed at master, and pspg is now possible to use with mysql client too.

Regards

Pavel