postgres sql setup on win32

From
"Bhat, Satish"
Date:
Hi All,
    I just compiled and installed the postgresql on windows xp using MinGW env.
    What are the next steps to start running it?
    When I run the postmaster, I get the following error :

"
execution of PostgreSQL by a user with administrative permissions is not permitted.
The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
possible system security compromise.  See the documentation for
more information on how to properly start the server.
"
Any help?

Cheers,
Satish

Re: postgres sql setup on win32

From
Mark Rumer
Date:
...and so it begins.

Bhat, Satish wrote:

> Hi All,
>     I just compiled and installed the postgresql on windows xp using
> MinGW env.
>     What are the next steps to start running it?
>     When I run the postmaster, I get the following error :
>
> "
> execution of PostgreSQL by a user with administrative permissions is not
> permitted.
> The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
> possible system security compromise.  See the documentation for
> more information on how to properly start the server.
> "
> Any help?
>
> Cheers,
> Satish

Re: postgres sql setup on win32

From
Jochem van Dieten
Date:
Bhat, Satish wrote:

> "
> execution of PostgreSQL by a user with administrative permissions is not
> permitted.
> The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
> possible system security compromise.  See the documentation for
> more information on how to properly start the server.
> "
> Any help?

The error message tells you to start the server under an
unpriviledged user ID. Logic dictates that you follow the hint
from the error message.

See the mailinglist archives for an in-depth discussion of this
feature (the documentation is not up-to-date yet).

Jochem

Re: postgres sql setup on win32

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Jochem van Dieten wrote:
> Bhat, Satish wrote:
>

>> "
>> execution of PostgreSQL by a user with administrative permissions is
>> not permitted.
>> The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
>> possible system security compromise.  See the documentation for
>> more information on how to properly start the server.
>> "
>> Any help?
>

> The error message tells you to start the server under an unpriviledged
> user ID. Logic dictates that you follow the hint from the error message.
>
> See the mailinglist archives for an in-depth discussion of this feature
> (the documentation is not up-to-date yet).

I wonder if we'll need a dedicated mailing list for this...

Regards,
Andreas