[DOCS] no more SGML empty tags

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
In XML, empty tags such as </> are no longer allowed.  In preparation
for converting the documentation to DocBook XML, I have committed a
patch that expands all such empty tags.  There is also now a warning
from onsgmls when empty tags are used.  (There is no -werror option,
unfortunately.)

(I have found that in a fully tagged SGML source file, an editor's XML
tab completion works much better, so maybe try that if you want to avoid
additional typing.)

Re: [DOCS] no more SGML empty tags

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> In XML, empty tags such as </> are no longer allowed.  In preparation
> for converting the documentation to DocBook XML, I have committed a
> patch that expands all such empty tags.  There is also now a warning
> from onsgmls when empty tags are used.  (There is no -werror option,
> unfortunately.)

Just out of curiosity, did you do the work (expanding the empty tags)
manually or using some tools? We are using SGML DocBook in the
Pgpool-II project and a little bit annoyed by the empty tags (for
example emacs auto indentation does not work with empty tags).

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Date:
On 10/17/17 20:09, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> In XML, empty tags such as </> are no longer allowed.  In preparation
>> for converting the documentation to DocBook XML, I have committed a
>> patch that expands all such empty tags.  There is also now a warning
>> from onsgmls when empty tags are used.  (There is no -werror option,
>> unfortunately.)
>
> Just out of curiosity, did you do the work (expanding the empty tags)
> manually or using some tools? We are using SGML DocBook in the
> Pgpool-II project and a little bit annoyed by the empty tags (for
> example emacs auto indentation does not work with empty tags).

I used the tools provided in the "Docbook 5.x" thread, in particular the
sgml2xml.pl script.  I think you should be able to use that for your
documentation as well.

Re: [DOCS] no more SGML empty tags

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Peter,

>> Just out of curiosity, did you do the work (expanding the empty tags)
>> manually or using some tools? We are using SGML DocBook in the
>> Pgpool-II project and a little bit annoyed by the empty tags (for
>> example emacs auto indentation does not work with empty tags).
>
> I used the tools provided in the "Docbook 5.x" thread, in particular the
> sgml2xml.pl script.  I think you should be able to use that for your
> documentation as well.

Thank you for the info!
--

Date:
> In XML, empty tags such as </> are no longer allowed.  In preparation
> for converting the documentation to DocBook XML, I have committed a
> patch that expands all such empty tags.  There is also now a warning
> from onsgmls when empty tags are used.  (There is no -werror option,
> unfortunately.)

I just want to point out that this patch has more or less entirely
destroyed any hope of cleanly back-patching documentation changes.

Should we consider applying the same transformation to the back
branches?

Date:
On 10/19/17 11:11, Tom Lane wrote:
> I just want to point out that this patch has more or less entirely
> destroyed any hope of cleanly back-patching documentation changes.
>
> Should we consider applying the same transformation to the back
> branches?

Good point.  There is an additional issue to consider about
backpatching, about which I have started a separate thread.  It might
depend on the outcome of that what we want to do here.