Hi all,

                Is it passable to use LDAP for connection string lookup when try to connect to remote database using psql?  I have client install on my work station and my LDAP entry for remote postgresql database looks like this:

cn=pgrls,cn=OracleContext

cn=pgrls

objectclass=orclDBServer

objectclass=top

objectclass=orclService

description=host=pgrls.cy53k5nd.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com

description=port=5439

description=dbname=pgrls

And my .pg_service.conf

ldap://oid.ldap.cornell.edu:389:636/cn=OracleContext?description?one?(cn=pgrls)

When

> psql pgrls

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

                connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

Can anyone guide me through how to?

Thank you very much,

Garry

Garry Chen wrote:
> Is it passable to use LDAP for connection string lookup when try to
> connect to remote database using psql?  I have client install on my work station and my
> LDAP entry for remote postgresql database looks like this:
>
> cn=pgrls,cn=OracleContext
> cn=pgrls
> objectclass=orclDBServer
> objectclass=top
> objectclass=orclService
> description=host=pgrls.cy53k5nd.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com
> description=port=5439
> description=dbname=pgrls
>
> And my .pg_service.conf
> ldap://oid.ldap.cornell.edu:389:636/cn=OracleContext?description?one?(cn=pgrls)

You know that there has to be more than one line in the file?

There is a complete example of a stanza at the bottom of
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-ldap.html

In particular, the stanza has to begin with a line in brackets, like
[mydatabase]

Other than that, the LDAP URL looks fine.

> When
> > psql pgrls
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>                 Is the server running locally and accepting
>                 connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> Can anyone guide me through how to?

You'd have to call it like this:

psql "service=mydatabase"

(Assuming that you named the service control file stanza "mydatabase".)

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

HI Albe,Thank you very much, It is working now after few modifications on pg_service file.

Garry

   Garry Chen wrote:   > Is it passable to use LDAP for connection string lookup when try to   > connect to remote
databaseusing psql?  I have client install on my work station and my   > LDAP entry for remote postgresql database
lookslike this:   >    > cn=pgrls,cn=OracleContext   > cn=pgrls   > objectclass=orclDBServer   > objectclass=top   >
objectclass=orclService  > description=host=pgrls.cy53k5nd.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com   > description=port=5439   >
description=dbname=pgrls  >    > And my .pg_service.conf   >
ldap://oid.ldap.cornell.edu:389:636/cn=OracleContext?description?one?(cn=pgrls)     You know that there has to be more
thanone line in the file?      There is a complete example of a stanza at the bottom of
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-ldap.html     In particular, the stanza has to begin with a line
inbrackets, like   [mydatabase]      Other than that, the LDAP URL looks fine.      > When   > > psql pgrls   > psql:
couldnot connect to server: No such file or directory   >                 Is the server running locally and accepting
>                connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?   >    > Can anyone guide me
throughhow to?      You'd have to call it like this:      psql "service=mydatabase"      (Assuming that you named the
servicecontrol file stanza "mydatabase".)      Yours,   Laurenz Albe