[NOVICE] Re: using LDAP for connection information lookup to do remotedatabase connection - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Albe Laurenz
Subject [NOVICE] Re: using LDAP for connection information lookup to do remotedatabase connection
Date
List pgsql-novice
Garry Chen wrote:
> Is it passable to use LDAP for connection string lookup when try to
> connect to remote database using psql?  I have client install on my work station and my
> LDAP entry for remote postgresql database looks like this:
>
> cn=pgrls,cn=OracleContext
> cn=pgrls
> objectclass=orclDBServer
> objectclass=top
> objectclass=orclService
> description=host=pgrls.cy53k5nd.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com
> description=port=5439
> description=dbname=pgrls
>
> And my .pg_service.conf
> ldap://oid.ldap.cornell.edu:389:636/cn=OracleContext?description?one?(cn=pgrls)

You know that there has to be more than one line in the file?

There is a complete example of a stanza at the bottom of
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-ldap.html

In particular, the stanza has to begin with a line in brackets, like
[mydatabase]

Other than that, the LDAP URL looks fine.

> When
> > psql pgrls
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>                 Is the server running locally and accepting
>                 connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> Can anyone guide me through how to?

You'd have to call it like this:

psql "service=mydatabase"

(Assuming that you named the service control file stanza "mydatabase".)

Yours,
Laurenz Albe