[HACKERS] Comment in snapbuild.c file

From
Masahiko Sawada
Date:
Hi all,

In snapbuild.c file, there is a comment as follows.

   * NB: Because of that xmax can be lower than xmin, because we only
   * increase xmax when a catalog modifying transaction commits. While odd
   * looking, it's correct and actually more efficient this way since we hit
   * fast paths in tqual.c.
   */

Maybe we can get rid of the second "because" in the first sentence?

Attached patch.

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: [HACKERS] Comment in snapbuild.c file

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In snapbuild.c file, there is a comment as follows.
>
>    * NB: Because of that xmax can be lower than xmin, because we only
>    * increase xmax when a catalog modifying transaction commits. While odd
>    * looking, it's correct and actually more efficient this way since we hit
>    * fast paths in tqual.c.
>    */
>
> Maybe we can get rid of the second "because" in the first sentence?

I think the whole para needs to be rethought.  I propose this:
 * NB: We only increase xmax when a catalog-modifying transaction commits * (see SnapBuildCommitTxn).  Because of this,
xmaxcan be lower than xmin, * which looks odd but is correct and actually more efficient, since we hit * fast paths in
tqual.c.

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > In snapbuild.c file, there is a comment as follows.
> >
> >    * NB: Because of that xmax can be lower than xmin, because we only
> >    * increase xmax when a catalog modifying transaction commits. While odd
> >    * looking, it's correct and actually more efficient this way since we hit
> >    * fast paths in tqual.c.
> >    */
>
> I think the whole para needs to be rethought.

Pushed, thanks.

Re: [HACKERS] Comment in snapbuild.c file

From
Masahiko Sawada
Date:
On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > In snapbuild.c file, there is a comment as follows.
>> >
>> >    * NB: Because of that xmax can be lower than xmin, because we only
>> >    * increase xmax when a catalog modifying transaction commits. While odd
>> >    * looking, it's correct and actually more efficient this way since we hit
>> >    * fast paths in tqual.c.
>> >    */
>>
>> I think the whole para needs to be rethought.
>
> Pushed, thanks.

Sorry for the late response. I agreed with your proposal. Thank you
for committing!