[HACKERS] Adding -E switch to pg_dumpall

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
Hi all,

While looking at a user problem, I got surprised that pg_dumpall does
not have a -E switch. This has been discussed a bit in the past like
here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/75E4C42D37E6A74E9FB57C2E9F1300D60107073E@tiger.nexperience.com

Now it is possible to enforce the encoding used by using
PGCLIENTENCODING but I think that a switch would be useful as well,
particularly for Windows where "set" needs to be used. Are there any
objections to a patch adding support for that? Such a patch should do:
- Call PQsetClientEncoding if an encoding is defined after getting a connection.
- Pass down -E to pg_dump calls if something is set.

Thoughts?
--
Michael

Re: [HACKERS] Adding -E switch to pg_dumpall

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> While looking at a user problem, I got surprised that pg_dumpall does
> not have a -E switch. This has been discussed a bit in the past like
> here:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/75E4C42D37E6A74E9FB57C2E9F1300D60107073E@tiger.nexperience.com
>
> Now it is possible to enforce the encoding used by using
> PGCLIENTENCODING but I think that a switch would be useful as well,
> particularly for Windows where "set" needs to be used. Are there any
> objections to a patch adding support for that? Such a patch should do:
> - Call PQsetClientEncoding if an encoding is defined after getting a connection.
> - Pass down -E to pg_dump calls if something is set.
>
> Thoughts?

Attached is a patch to add support for this switch. I am parking that
in the next CF.
--
Michael

Re: [HACKERS] Adding -E switch to pg_dumpall

From
Fabien COELHO
Date:
Hello Michaël-san,

> Attached is a patch to add support for this switch. I am parking that
> in the next CF.

I'm in favor of this feature for consistency with pg_dump, and as the
environment variable workaround is not specially elegant and can induce
issues of its own.

Patch applies and compiles.

No special regression tests are provided, but this seems ok to me as it
just forward the option to pg_dump, which I have no doubt is heavily
tested. Or not. Anyway it is consistent...

Manually tested with UTF8, latin1 (including conversion errors), non
existing.

Code is straightforward. Doc and help are both fine.

Ok for me. I switched the status to "Ready for committers".

--
Fabien.

Date:
On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:
> Ok for me. I switched the status to "Ready for committers".

Thanks for the review, Fabien.
--
Michael

Re: [HACKERS] Adding -E switch to pg_dumpall

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:
>> Ok for me. I switched the status to "Ready for committers".
>
> Thanks for the review, Fabien.

LGTM.  Committed.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:
>>> Ok for me. I switched the status to "Ready for committers".
>>
>> Thanks for the review, Fabien.
>
> LGTM.  Committed.

Thanks for the commit.
--