[HACKERS] ECPG: pg_type.h file is not synced

From
vinayak

Hello,

I am looking at ECPG source code. In the "ecpg/ecpglib/pg_type.h" file I have seen following comment:

* keep this in sync with src/include/catalog/pg_type.h

But I think the "ecpg/ecpglib/pg_type.h" file is currently not synced with the above file.

I have added the remaining types in the attached patch.

I would like to know whether we can add remaining types in the "ecpg/ecpglib/pg_type.h" file or not?

Regards,

Vinayak Pokale

NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] ECPG: pg_type.h file is not synced

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
Hi,

> I am looking at ECPG source code. In the "ecpg/ecpglib/pg_type.h" file I
> have seen following comment:
>
> ** keep this in sync with src/include/catalog/pg_type.h*
>
> But I think the "ecpg/ecpglib/pg_type.h" file is currently not synced
> with the above file.
>
> I have added the remaining types in the attached patch.
>
> I would like to know whether we can add remaining types in the
> "ecpg/ecpglib/pg_type.h" file or not?

It's not too big a deal as neither of the new OIDs is used in ecpg, but
still, the file should be up to date.

Thanks for the patch, committed.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Meskes at (Debian|Postgresql) dot Org

Re: [HACKERS] ECPG: pg_type.h file is not synced

Date:
On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:25:13AM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I am looking at ECPG source code. In the "ecpg/ecpglib/pg_type.h" file I
> > have seen following comment:
> >
> > ** keep this in sync with src/include/catalog/pg_type.h*
> >
> > But I think the "ecpg/ecpglib/pg_type.h" file is currently not synced
> > with the above file.
> >
> > I have added the remaining types in the attached patch.
> >
> > I would like to know whether we can add remaining types in the
> > "ecpg/ecpglib/pg_type.h" file or not?
>
> It's not too big a deal as neither of the new OIDs is used in ecpg, but
> still, the file should be up to date.
>
> Thanks for the patch, committed.

Should we add some Makefile magic to make sure they stay in sync?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] ECPG: pg_type.h file is not synced

Date:
>>> But I think the "ecpg/ecpglib/pg_type.h" file is currently not synced
>>> with the above file.

> Should we add some Makefile magic to make sure they stay in sync?

Not so much that as teach genbki.pl to generate this file too.
I think that might be a good idea, but personally I'd leave it until
after the genbki rewrite we keep talking about.  This isn't important
enough to make that rewrite have an even higher hurdle to clear.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> > Should we add some Makefile magic to make sure they stay in sync?
>
> Not so much that as teach genbki.pl to generate this file too.
> I think that might be a good idea, but personally I'd leave it until
> after the genbki rewrite we keep talking about.  This isn't important
> enough to make that rewrite have an even higher hurdle to clear.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Agreed. We will only run into problems with ecpg if some of the
existing oids change. Newly added ones will not be referenced unless
ecpg receives changes, too.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Meskes at (Debian|Postgresql) dot Org
Jabber: michael at xmpp dot meskes dot org
VfL Borussia! Força Barça! SF 49ers! Use Debian GNU/Linux, PostgreSQL