[HACKERS] createlang/droplang deprecated

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
I just noticed that createlang and droplang have been listed as
deprecated since PG 9.1.

Do we dare remove them?

Re: [HACKERS] createlang/droplang deprecated

From
Pavel Stehule

I just noticed that createlang and droplang have been listed as
deprecated since PG 9.1.

Do we dare remove them?

+1

Pavel

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: [HACKERS] createlang/droplang deprecated

From
Magnus Hagander

I just noticed that createlang and droplang have been listed as
deprecated since PG 9.1.

Do we dare remove them?

+1

+1.

(I'd extend it to all the non-prefixed pg binaries, but let's open that can of worms right now, one thing at a time)

--

Re: [HACKERS] createlang/droplang deprecated

Date:
>>> I just noticed that createlang and droplang have been listed as
>>> deprecated since PG 9.1.
>>> Do we dare remove them?

> (I'd extend it to all the non-prefixed pg binaries, but let's open that can
> of worms right now, one thing at a time)

To my mind, these two and createuser/dropuser are the only really serious
namespacing problems among our standard binaries.  The ones with names
ending in "db" don't seem likely to cause huge confusion.  I suppose that
if we were naming it today, "psql" wouldn't get that name; but the chances
of renaming that one are certainly zero, namespace conflict or no.

But createuser/dropuser are a real problem, because they certainly could
be mistaken for system-level utilities.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] createlang/droplang deprecated

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> (I'd extend it to all the non-prefixed pg binaries, but let's open that can
>> of worms right now, one thing at a time)
>
> To my mind, these two and createuser/dropuser are the only really serious
> namespacing problems among our standard binaries.  The ones with names
> ending in "db" don't seem likely to cause huge confusion.  I suppose that
> if we were naming it today, "psql" wouldn't get that name; but the chances
> of renaming that one are certainly zero, namespace conflict or no.
>
> But createuser/dropuser are a real problem, because they certainly could
> be mistaken for system-level utilities.

Well, let's do one thing at a time.  I think it'd be fine to drop
createlang and droplang; we can discuss other things on other threads.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 6:13 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

>> (I'd extend it to all the non-prefixed pg binaries, but let's open that can
>> of worms right now, one thing at a time)
>
> To my mind, these two and createuser/dropuser are the only really serious
> namespacing problems among our standard binaries.  The ones with names
> ending in "db" don't seem likely to cause huge confusion.  I suppose that
> if we were naming it today, "psql" wouldn't get that name; but the chances
> of renaming that one are certainly zero, namespace conflict or no.
>
> But createuser/dropuser are a real problem, because they certainly could
> be mistaken for system-level utilities.

Well, let's do one thing at a time.  I think it'd be fine to drop
createlang and droplang; we can discuss other things on other threads.

+1. I see no issues at all dropping createlang/droplang, so let's do that. Some of the others can be worth discussing, so let's not wait for that to pan out before these are removed.

--

Re: [HACKERS] createlang/droplang deprecated

From
David Steele
Date:
> I just noticed that createlang and droplang have been listed as
> deprecated since PG 9.1.
>
> Do we dare remove them?

+1

--
-David
david@pgmasters.net

Date:
On 3/18/17 09:00, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I just noticed that createlang and droplang have been listed as
> deprecated since PG 9.1.
>
> Do we dare remove them?

Patch

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 1:37 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 3/18/17 09:00, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I just noticed that createlang and droplang have been listed as
> deprecated since PG 9.1.
>
> Do we dare remove them?

Patch

+1

--

Re: [HACKERS] createlang/droplang deprecated

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 20 Mar 2017, at 01:37, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/18/17 09:00, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I just noticed that createlang and droplang have been listed as
>> deprecated since PG 9.1.
>>
>> Do we dare remove them?
>
> Patch

LGTM, +1

cheers ./daniel

Date:
On 3/23/17 06:41, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 20 Mar 2017, at 01:37, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/18/17 09:00, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> I just noticed that createlang and droplang have been listed as
>>> deprecated since PG 9.1.
>>>
>>> Do we dare remove them?
>>
>> Patch
>
> LGTM, +1

Committed.

Re: [HACKERS] createlang/droplang deprecated

From
Euler Taveira

But createuser/dropuser are a real problem, because they certainly could
be mistaken for system-level utilities.

I proposed something along those lines [1] to fix this historical mistake but we didn't reach a consensus. createuser/dropuser could be a candidate to removal because it is easily replaced by psql -c "command here" like Simon said. If we go to this road, other binaries (that are just a wrapper around an SQL command) could be removed too (such as createdb, dropdb, clusterdb and reindexdb).

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/bdd1adb1-c26d-ad1f-2f15-cc52056065d4@timbira.com.br

--
   Euler Taveira                                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/