[pgadmin-hackers][patch] Shows titles for disabled buttons on hover

From
Sarah McAlear
Date:
Hi Hackers,

This patch enables hovering over disabled buttons to see their functionality.

Thanks,
Joao and Sarah

Attachment

Re: [pgadmin-hackers][patch] Shows titles for disabled buttons on hover

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Sarah McAlear <smcalear@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hi Hackers,
>
> This patch enables hovering over disabled buttons to see their
> functionality.

This seems to work for the button bar in the query tool, but not for
other buttons such as those on dialogues. Can you update to fix the
problem consistently please?

Note that I've created an RM for this issue:
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/2226

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgadmin-hackers][patch] Shows titles for disabled buttons on hover

From
Joao Pedro De Almeida Pereira
Date:
Hello Dave,

We were looking into this request and we found at least one location where the Hover does not make sense when it is disabled (the stylized "i' in the lower left of dialogs, which has the alt-text "SQL help for this object type".)

Could this patch be pulled in, as the buttons for which this does not apply feel out of scope?

Thanks
George & Joao

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 5:42 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Sarah McAlear <smcalear@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hi Hackers,
>
> This patch enables hovering over disabled buttons to see their
> functionality.

This seems to work for the button bar in the query tool, but not for
other buttons such as those on dialogues. Can you update to fix the
problem consistently please?

Note that I've created an RM for this issue:
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/2226

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Thanks
Joao

Re: [pgadmin-hackers][patch] Shows titles for disabled buttons on hover

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Joao Pedro De Almeida Pereira
<jpereira@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> We were looking into this request and we found at least one location where
> the Hover does not make sense when it is disabled (the stylized "i' in the
> lower left of dialogs, which has the alt-text "SQL help for this object
> type".)

I think that's debatable. When enabled, that's exactly what the button
would do. I don't think it's any different from other buttons that are
disabled because they don't apply in some circumstances.

> Could this patch be pulled in, as the buttons for which this does not apply
> feel out of scope?

Even if we ignore my comment about about the SQL help button, my
earlier comments still apply. Consistency is fundamental to user
comprehension and learning of a UI - we should not have some disabled
buttons that don't display their tooltips and others that do.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgadmin-hackers][patch] Shows titles for disabled buttons on hover

From
Sarah McAlear
Date:
Hi!

Here's a new patch that applies to all the buttons.

Thanks,
Joao and Sarah

<jpereira@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> We were looking into this request and we found at least one location where
> the Hover does not make sense when it is disabled (the stylized "i' in the
> lower left of dialogs, which has the alt-text "SQL help for this object
> type".)

I think that's debatable. When enabled, that's exactly what the button
would do. I don't think it's any different from other buttons that are
disabled because they don't apply in some circumstances.

> Could this patch be pulled in, as the buttons for which this does not apply
> feel out of scope?

Even if we ignore my comment about about the SQL help button, my
earlier comments still apply. Consistency is fundamental to user
comprehension and learning of a UI - we should not have some disabled
buttons that don't display their tooltips and others that do.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment

Re: [pgadmin-hackers][patch] Shows titles for disabled buttons on hover

From
Dave Page
Date:
Thanks, patch applied!