Re: [pgadmin-hackers][patch] Shows titles for disabled buttons on hover - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Sarah McAlear
Subject Re: [pgadmin-hackers][patch] Shows titles for disabled buttons on hover
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi!

Here's a new patch that applies to all the buttons.

Thanks,
Joao and Sarah

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 4:06 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Joao Pedro De Almeida Pereira
<jpereira@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> We were looking into this request and we found at least one location where
> the Hover does not make sense when it is disabled (the stylized "i' in the
> lower left of dialogs, which has the alt-text "SQL help for this object
> type".)

I think that's debatable. When enabled, that's exactly what the button
would do. I don't think it's any different from other buttons that are
disabled because they don't apply in some circumstances.

> Could this patch be pulled in, as the buttons for which this does not apply
> feel out of scope?

Even if we ignore my comment about about the SQL help button, my
earlier comments still apply. Consistency is fundamental to user
comprehension and learning of a UI - we should not have some disabled
buttons that don't display their tooltips and others that do.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company