[GENERAL] Strange Errors...

From
Jerry LeVan
Date:
Sorry I accidentally posted this to pgsql-general-owners earlier today…
********
How can this happen ( from the postgresql.log file)

LOG:  statement: select * from knives where manufacturer=‘Boker’
ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist at character 41

Some background:
I am trying to move from 32 bit apps to 64 bit apps. I still
have a couple of 32 bit apps that talk to postgresql.

env:
  MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

  postgresql 9.6.2 compiled as a 64 bit program. I also
  compiled it as a 32 bit program and glued the 64 bit
  and 32 bit libpq libraries together and replaced the
  installed 64 bit libpq library with the fat version.

  python 2.7.10 Apple’s version

  psycopg2 2.6.1

  wxpython '3.0.3.0.b20160914’ installed from the wxpython.org site.

My main interaction with my database is a wxpython app. I type
sql into a text window and can send the contents of the window
or the selection or the line containing the cursor to postgresql

It appears that every single quote ( ‘ ) gets translated somehow to
a double quote ( “ ). SQL statements that do not use quotes return
properly and I can display the results in a grid.

I have modified one of the test programs in the psycopg2 distribution
that sends the selection shown in  the log statement and it works
properly. i.e. I can send the select statement and retrieve the results
from a the psycopg2 python program.

I can run basically the same wxpthon program on my fedora system without
any problems (talking to the mac ).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jerry

Re: [GENERAL] Strange Errors...

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 02/22/2017 07:09 AM, Jerry LeVan wrote:
> Sorry I accidentally posted this to pgsql-general-owners earlier today…
> ********
> How can this happen ( from the postgresql.log file)
>
> LOG:  statement: select * from knives where manufacturer=‘Boker’
> ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist at character 41
>
> Some background:
> I am trying to move from 32 bit apps to 64 bit apps. I still
> have a couple of 32 bit apps that talk to postgresql.
>
> env:
>   MacOS Sierra 10.12.3
>
>   postgresql 9.6.2 compiled as a 64 bit program. I also
>   compiled it as a 32 bit program and glued the 64 bit
>   and 32 bit libpq libraries together and replaced the
>   installed 64 bit libpq library with the fat version.
>
>   python 2.7.10 Apple’s version
>
>   psycopg2 2.6.1
>
>   wxpython '3.0.3.0.b20160914’ installed from the wxpython.org site.
>
> My main interaction with my database is a wxpython app. I type
> sql into a text window and can send the contents of the window
> or the selection or the line containing the cursor to postgresql
>
> It appears that every single quote ( ‘ ) gets translated somehow to

No:

test=# select ‘Boker’;
ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist
LINE 1: select ‘Boker’;

test=# select 'Boker';
  ?column?
----------
  Boker
(1 row)

It is because they are ‘ ’ not ' '.

So you need to find out what is causing your program to introduce ‘ ’.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Strange Errors...

From
Jerry LeVan
Date:
> On Feb 22, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
> On 02/22/2017 07:09 AM, Jerry LeVan wrote:
>> Sorry I accidentally posted this to pgsql-general-owners earlier today…
>> ********
>> How can this happen ( from the postgresql.log file)
>>
>> LOG:  statement: select * from knives where manufacturer=‘Boker’
>> ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist at character 41
>>
>> Some background:
>> I am trying to move from 32 bit apps to 64 bit apps. I still
>> have a couple of 32 bit apps that talk to postgresql.
>>
>> env:
>>  MacOS Sierra 10.12.3
>>
>>  postgresql 9.6.2 compiled as a 64 bit program. I also
>>  compiled it as a 32 bit program and glued the 64 bit
>>  and 32 bit libpq libraries together and replaced the
>>  installed 64 bit libpq library with the fat version.
>>
>>  python 2.7.10 Apple’s version
>>
>>  psycopg2 2.6.1
>>
>>  wxpython '3.0.3.0.b20160914’ installed from the wxpython.org site.
>>
>> My main interaction with my database is a wxpython app. I type
>> sql into a text window and can send the contents of the window
>> or the selection or the line containing the cursor to postgresql
>>
>> It appears that every single quote ( ‘ ) gets translated somehow to
>
> No:
>
> test=# select ‘Boker’;
> ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist
> LINE 1: select ‘Boker’;
>
> test=# select 'Boker';
> ?column?
> ----------
> Boker
> (1 row)
>
> It is because they are ‘ ’ not ' '.
>
> So you need to find out what is causing your program to introduce ‘ ’.

The mail program is displaying the straight quote as a curly quote…
In the terminal program I see a straight quote.

Perhaps wxpython is somehow confusing things… tain’t clear on
how to test.

>> a double quote ( “ ). SQL statements that do not use quotes return
>> properly and I can display the results in a grid.
>>
>> I have modified one of the test programs in the psycopg2 distribution
>> that sends the selection shown in  the log statement and it works
>> properly. i.e. I can send the select statement and retrieve the results
>> from a the psycopg2 python program.
>>
>> I can run basically the same wxpthon program on my fedora system without
>> any problems (talking to the mac ).
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Jerry
>>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Strange Errors...

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 02/22/2017 07:32 AM, Jerry LeVan wrote:

>> On Feb 22, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/22/2017 07:09 AM, Jerry LeVan wrote:
>>> Sorry I accidentally posted this to pgsql-general-owners earlier today…
>>> ********
>>> How can this happen ( from the postgresql.log file)
>>>
>>> LOG:  statement: select * from knives where manufacturer=‘Boker’
>>> ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist at character 41
>>>
>>> Some background:
>>> I am trying to move from 32 bit apps to 64 bit apps. I still
>>> have a couple of 32 bit apps that talk to postgresql.
>>>
>>> env:
>>>  MacOS Sierra 10.12.3
>>>
>>>  postgresql 9.6.2 compiled as a 64 bit program. I also
>>>  compiled it as a 32 bit program and glued the 64 bit
>>>  and 32 bit libpq libraries together and replaced the
>>>  installed 64 bit libpq library with the fat version.
>>>
>>>  python 2.7.10 Apple’s version
>>>
>>>  psycopg2 2.6.1
>>>
>>>  wxpython '3.0.3.0.b20160914’ installed from the wxpython.org site.
>>>
>>> My main interaction with my database is a wxpython app. I type
>>> sql into a text window and can send the contents of the window
>>> or the selection or the line containing the cursor to postgresql
>>>
>>> It appears that every single quote ( ‘ ) gets translated somehow to
>>
>> No:
>>
>> test=# select ‘Boker’;
>> ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist
>> LINE 1: select ‘Boker’;
>>
>> test=# select 'Boker';
>> ?column?
>> ----------
>> Boker
>> (1 row)
>>
>> It is because they are ‘ ’ not ' '.
>>
>> So you need to find out what is causing your program to introduce ‘ ’.
>
> The mail program is displaying the straight quote as a curly quote…
> In the terminal program I see a straight quote.

I thought the issue was with the wxPython program not the terminal, or
are you saying they are the same thing?

So you are see this(with straight quotes):

test=# select "'Boker'";
ERROR:  column "'Boker'" does not exist
LINE 1: select "'Boker'";

So why is the mail program not converting the double quotes to
typographical quotes also? :

ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist at character 41

or converting the single quotes I sent?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Strange Errors...

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 02/22/2017 07:32 AM, Jerry LeVan wrote:

>> On Feb 22, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/22/2017 07:09 AM, Jerry LeVan wrote:
>>> Sorry I accidentally posted this to pgsql-general-owners earlier today…
>>> ********
>>> How can this happen ( from the postgresql.log file)
>>>
>>> LOG:  statement: select * from knives where manufacturer=‘Boker’
>>> ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist at character 41
>>>
>>> Some background:
>>> I am trying to move from 32 bit apps to 64 bit apps. I still
>>> have a couple of 32 bit apps that talk to postgresql.
>>>
>>> env:
>>>  MacOS Sierra 10.12.3
>>>
>>>  postgresql 9.6.2 compiled as a 64 bit program. I also
>>>  compiled it as a 32 bit program and glued the 64 bit
>>>  and 32 bit libpq libraries together and replaced the
>>>  installed 64 bit libpq library with the fat version.
>>>
>>>  python 2.7.10 Apple’s version
>>>
>>>  psycopg2 2.6.1
>>>
>>>  wxpython '3.0.3.0.b20160914’ installed from the wxpython.org site.
>>>
>>> My main interaction with my database is a wxpython app. I type
>>> sql into a text window and can send the contents of the window
>>> or the selection or the line containing the cursor to postgresql
>>>
>>> It appears that every single quote ( ‘ ) gets translated somehow to
>>
>> No:
>>
>> test=# select ‘Boker’;
>> ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist
>> LINE 1: select ‘Boker’;
>>
>> test=# select 'Boker';
>> ?column?
>> ----------
>> Boker
>> (1 row)
>>
>> It is because they are ‘ ’ not ' '.
>>
>> So you need to find out what is causing your program to introduce ‘ ’.
>
> The mail program is displaying the straight quote as a curly quote…
> In the terminal program I see a straight quote.
>
> Perhaps wxpython is somehow confusing things… tain’t clear on
> how to test.

I have seen this issue when I cut and pasted data from word
processing/spreadsheet programs and not paid attention to the fact they
have settings that convert ' --> ’ and ''  --> ‘‘ ’’.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Strange Errors...

From
Jerry LeVan
Date:
> On Feb 22, 2017, at 9:49 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
> On 02/22/2017 07:32 AM, Jerry LeVan wrote:

>>> No:
>>>
>>> test=# select ‘Boker’;
>>> ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist
>>> LINE 1: select ‘Boker’;
>>>
>>> test=# select 'Boker';
>>> ?column?
>>> ----------
>>> Boker
>>> (1 row)
>>>
>>> It is because they are ‘ ’ not ' '.
>>>
>>> So you need to find out what is causing your program to introduce ‘ ’.
>>
>> The mail program is displaying the straight quote as a curly quote…
>> In the terminal program I see a straight quote.
>>
>> Perhaps wxpython is somehow confusing things… tain’t clear on
>> how to test.
>
> I have seen this issue when I cut and pasted data from word processing/spreadsheet programs and not paid attention to
thefact they have settings that convert ' --> ’ and ''  --> ‘‘ ’’.

I think you may be on to something….If I how down the straight quote in the text window for a few seconds I can see a
ripple of changes to a different character when I release the key. If I zoom the terminal window displaying
the log file the quote is clearly not the ‘straight’ quote.

>>> --
>>> Adrian Klaver
>>> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Strange Errors...

From
Jerry LeVan
Date:
> On Feb 22, 2017, at 10:08 AM, Jerry LeVan <jerry.levan@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The mail program is displaying the straight quote as a curly quote…
>>> In the terminal program I see a straight quote.
>>>
>>> Perhaps wxpython is somehow confusing things… tain’t clear on
>>> how to test.
>>
>> I have seen this issue when I cut and pasted data from word processing/spreadsheet programs and not paid attention
tothe fact they have settings that convert ' --> ’ and ''  --> ‘‘ ’’.

> I think you may be on to something….If I how down the straight quote in the text window for a few seconds I can see a

> ripple of changes to a different character when I release the key. If I zoom the terminal window displaying
> the log file the quote is clearly not the ‘straight’ quote.

>> --
>> Adrian Klaver
>> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

There is a setting in the Mac System Preferences that will allow you to turn
off smart quotes.

I did this and the program is acting properly once more :)

Thanks for the tip.

Jerry

Re: [GENERAL] Strange Errors...

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 02/22/2017 09:16 AM, Jerry LeVan wrote:

> There is a setting in the Mac System Preferences that will allow you to turn
> off smart quotes.

Aah, Apple trying to be 'helpful'. Assumes everyone wants to output
print copy everywhere.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com