Re: [GENERAL] Strange Errors... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry LeVan
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Strange Errors...
Date
Re: Strange Errors...  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
> On Feb 22, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
> On 02/22/2017 07:09 AM, Jerry LeVan wrote:
>> Sorry I accidentally posted this to pgsql-general-owners earlier today…
>> ********
>> How can this happen ( from the postgresql.log file)
>>
>> LOG:  statement: select * from knives where manufacturer=‘Boker’
>> ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist at character 41
>>
>> Some background:
>> I am trying to move from 32 bit apps to 64 bit apps. I still
>> have a couple of 32 bit apps that talk to postgresql.
>>
>> env:
>>  MacOS Sierra 10.12.3
>>
>>  postgresql 9.6.2 compiled as a 64 bit program. I also
>>  compiled it as a 32 bit program and glued the 64 bit
>>  and 32 bit libpq libraries together and replaced the
>>  installed 64 bit libpq library with the fat version.
>>
>>  python 2.7.10 Apple’s version
>>
>>  psycopg2 2.6.1
>>
>>  wxpython '3.0.3.0.b20160914’ installed from the wxpython.org site.
>>
>> My main interaction with my database is a wxpython app. I type
>> sql into a text window and can send the contents of the window
>> or the selection or the line containing the cursor to postgresql
>>
>> It appears that every single quote ( ‘ ) gets translated somehow to
>
> No:
>
> test=# select ‘Boker’;
> ERROR:  column "‘boker’" does not exist
> LINE 1: select ‘Boker’;
>
> test=# select 'Boker';
> ?column?
> Boker
> (1 row)
>
> It is because they are ‘ ’ not ' '.
>
> So you need to find out what is causing your program to introduce ‘ ’.

The mail program is displaying the straight quote as a curly quote…
In the terminal program I see a straight quote.

Perhaps wxpython is somehow confusing things… tain’t clear on
how to test.