[HACKERS] proposal: EXPLAIN ANALYZE formatting

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

Now EXPLAIN ANALYZE produce too wide rows for usage in presentations

What do you think about possibility to implement >>optional<< alternative formatting.

Now:

  node name (estimation) (actual)

Alternative:

  node name (estimation)
                   (actual)

Regards

Pavel
Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: EXPLAIN ANALYZE formatting

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 1/28/17 2:36 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Now EXPLAIN ANALYZE produce too wide rows for usage in presentations
>
> What do you think about possibility to implement >>optional<<
> alternative formatting.
>
> Now:
>
>   node name (estimation) (actual)
>
> Alternative:
>
>   node name (estimation)
>                    (actual)

I think that could be useful, even outside of presentations.

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: EXPLAIN ANALYZE formatting

From
Pavel Stehule

On 1/28/17 2:36 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Now EXPLAIN ANALYZE produce too wide rows for usage in presentations
>
> What do you think about possibility to implement >>optional<<
> alternative formatting.
>
> Now:
>
>   node name (estimation) (actual)
>
> Alternative:
>
>   node name (estimation)
>                    (actual)

I think that could be useful, even outside of presentations.

There is another variant with less white space

node name
  (estimation)
  (actual)

Regards

Pavel

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: EXPLAIN ANALYZE formatting

Date:
> Now EXPLAIN ANALYZE produce too wide rows for usage in presentations

> What do you think about possibility to implement >>optional<< alternative
> formatting.
> Now:
>   node name (estimation) (actual)
> Alternative:
>   node name (estimation)
>                    (actual)

Seems like that would make a difference in only a tiny minority of
situations.  In a deeply nested plan you'll have trouble no matter
what, and it's not uncommon that the node name line isn't the widest
thing anyway.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: EXPLAIN ANALYZE formatting

From
Pavel Stehule

> Now EXPLAIN ANALYZE produce too wide rows for usage in presentations

> What do you think about possibility to implement >>optional<< alternative
> formatting.
> Now:
>   node name (estimation) (actual)
> Alternative:
>   node name (estimation)
>                    (actual)

Seems like that would make a difference in only a tiny minority of
situations.  In a deeply nested plan you'll have trouble no matter
what, and it's not uncommon that the node name line isn't the widest
thing anyway.

It is related to presentation where you have to use large type - and where usually don't present complex nested plans, or you present only fragments.

A output of EXPLAIN is usually ok - EXPLAIN ANALYZE does a overflow

This feature is in nice to have category - probably interesting for lectures or presenters only - can helps and doesn't need lot of work. So I am ask for community opinion.

The result should not be exactly how I proposed - any form what is more friendly for tiny monitor (projectors) is welcome

Regards

Pavel

                        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: EXPLAIN ANALYZE formatting

Date:
>> Seems like that would make a difference in only a tiny minority of
>> situations.  In a deeply nested plan you'll have trouble no matter
>> what, and it's not uncommon that the node name line isn't the widest
>> thing anyway.

> It is related to presentation where you have to use large type - and where
> usually don't present complex nested plans, or you present only fragments.

Sure, but then you're whacking around the text anyway while you put it
into your slides.  I doubt anyone would have trouble understanding your
slides if you break up the lines like that, whether or not it's exactly
what you'd get out of EXPLAIN itself.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: EXPLAIN ANALYZE formatting

From
Pavel Stehule

>> Seems like that would make a difference in only a tiny minority of
>> situations.  In a deeply nested plan you'll have trouble no matter
>> what, and it's not uncommon that the node name line isn't the widest
>> thing anyway.

> It is related to presentation where you have to use large type - and where
> usually don't present complex nested plans, or you present only fragments.

Sure, but then you're whacking around the text anyway while you put it
into your slides.  I doubt anyone would have trouble understanding your
slides if you break up the lines like that, whether or not it's exactly
what you'd get out of EXPLAIN itself.

I cannot to break lines when I use psql and mirrored screen.

Regards

Pavel

                        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: EXPLAIN ANALYZE formatting

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 29/01/17 05:31, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>>:
>
>     Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com
>     <mailto:pavel.stehule@gmail.com>> writes:
>     > Now EXPLAIN ANALYZE produce too wide rows for usage in presentations
>
>     > What do you think about possibility to implement >>optional<<
>     alternative
>     > formatting.
>     > Now:
>     >   node name (estimation) (actual)
>     > Alternative:
>     >   node name (estimation)
>     >                    (actual)
>
>     Seems like that would make a difference in only a tiny minority of
>     situations.  In a deeply nested plan you'll have trouble no matter
>     what, and it's not uncommon that the node name line isn't the widest
>     thing anyway.
>

> It is related to presentation where you have to use large type - and
> where usually don't present complex nested plans, or you present only
> fragments.
>
> A output of EXPLAIN is usually ok - EXPLAIN ANALYZE does a overflow
>
> This feature is in nice to have category - probably interesting for
> lectures or presenters only - can helps and doesn't need lot of work.
> So I am ask for community opinion.
>
> The result should not be exactly how I proposed - any form what is
> more friendly for tiny monitor (projectors) is welcome
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel
>

>                             regards, tom lane

How about have a GUC to control the formatting of how it is displayed?

Could also include maximum line width (default 'infinite'), and word
wrapping rules, ...

Cheers,
Gavin

Date:
On 1/28/17 3:24 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
> How about have a GUC to control the formatting of how it is displayed?
>
> Could also include maximum line width (default 'infinite'), and word
> wrapping rules, ...

You can already configure that in psql.

You can also use the yaml format if you want to use less horizontal
space.  (I have used that in presentations.)

What I liked about it is that it makes it a bit easier to compare the
estimate and actual for each node.

Re: [HACKERS] proposal: EXPLAIN ANALYZE formatting

Date:
> What I liked about it is that it makes it a bit easier to compare the
> estimate and actual for each node.

Hmm, you'd have to make some effort to line up those fields, if you
wanted that to be a thing.
        regards, tom lane