[GENERAL] Install doesnt set SuperUser PW

From
Jovi Federici
Date:
Hi Postgres,

My installation of Postgress 9.6 did not include any setting of a SuperUser password so I'm at a loss.

Do I have a bad installation?

I got it here:

I'm running Windows 7 in 64 bit VM on a Mac Pro.

I'm new to this stuff ok? Please go easy on me :-)

Thanks!
--
Jovi

Re: [GENERAL] Install doesnt set SuperUser PW

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
My installation of Postgress 9.6 did not include any setting of a SuperUser password so I'm at a loss.

Do I have a bad installation?

I got it here:

I'm running Windows 7 in 64 bit VM on a Mac Pro.

I'm new to this stuff ok? Please go easy on me :-)

Haven't used this particular install method but the Apt packages I use don't setup a password but instead allow for localhost connections on a trust basis - and don't listed on TCP/IP sockets by default either.  I suspect that this installer is similar.

Also, I personally find it to be bad form to link directly to a page that starts downloading a 120MB software executable when you navigate to it.  Wasn't there a landing page with information that you could have linked to instead?

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] Install doesnt set SuperUser PW

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 12/13/2016 12:46 PM, Jovi Federici wrote:
> Hi Postgres,
>
> My installation of Postgress 9.6 did not include any setting of a
> SuperUser password so I'm at a loss.

How did you determine this?

> Do I have a bad installation?
>
> I got it here:
>
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/postgresql-961-installers-win64?ls=Crossover&type=Crossover
>
> I'm running Windows 7 in 64 bit VM on a Mac Pro.
>
> I'm new to this stuff ok? Please go easy on me :-)

So did you do the following?:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.6/instguide/PostgreSQL_Installation_Guide.1.08.html#

If so, in about step 4 you created the password.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Install doesnt set SuperUser PW

From
Jovi Federici
Date:
Hi David, sorry bout that. Agreed: bad form. Here's the page:

Thank you for your help. I don't understand what you mean but "trust basis" and "don't listed on TCP/IP sockets by default" cause I'm really not that informed. I know python programming, basics on DB design, but very little on networking and SQL.

I'm really just trying to learn new stuff and I might be way over my head but I just wanted to create a DB and start populating it with some data and then mess around with it so I can learn. I'm interested in developing my own text analysis tools off of my own emails in Outlook.

Thanks again.

Jovi

[...]

Date:
Hi Adrian, I did graphical installer is in

Except I was not asked to input anything. I didn't input paths, I didn't input a PW.

It just ran and finished and that was it.

BTW, I had installed same previously then ran the uninstall.exe and re-installed because I forgot if I had entered a PW the first time but I really don't think I ever did.

Thanks for you help!

Jovi

Date:
On 12/13/2016 01:49 PM, Jovi Federici wrote:
> Hi Adrian, I did graphical installer is in
>
> https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.6/instguide/PostgreSQL_Installation_Guide.1.08.html#
> <https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.6/instguide/PostgreSQL_Installation_Guide.1.08.html#>
>
> Except I was not asked to input anything. I didn't input paths, I didn't
> input a PW.
>
> It just ran and finished and that was it.

Did you do this part?:

"Note that in some versions of Windows, you can invoke the installer
with Administrator privileges by right clicking on the installer icon
and selecting Run as Administrator from the context menu."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Install doesnt set SuperUser PW

From
Jovi Federici
Date:
No! I did not do that! I will uninstall and re-install that way now.

[...]

Date:
Just re-ran installer in Administrator mode with no difference. Correction on previous statement: the installed does ask for Paths but does not ask for a PW.

-Jovi

Date:
On 12/13/2016 02:08 PM, Jovi Federici wrote:
> Just re-ran installer in Administrator mode with no difference.
> Correction on previous statement: the installed does ask for Paths but
> does not ask for a PW.

I have no idea at this point. I do not run Windows anymore, so I have
nothing to test against. My suggestion would be to try here:

http://forums.enterprisedb.com/forums/show/9.page;jsessionid=49D70EC0A476B22D3C6FEF3A24F0BA90

Or if you are willing to try something different:

https://www.bigsql.org/postgresql/installers.jsp

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 12/13/2016 02:08 PM, Jovi Federici wrote:
> Just re-ran installer in Administrator mode with no difference.
> Correction on previous statement: the installed does ask for Paths but
> does not ask for a PW.

Dept of Late thoughts:

Did the Postgres server actually get installed?

Do you have a postgres OS user?

Can you connect to the server in any manner?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Install doesnt set SuperUser PW

From
Jovi Federici
Date:
I'm going to try the new installer at bigsql, thanks!

Did the Postgres server actually get installed? - I think so. I have Postgres in Programs folder

Do you have a postgres OS user? - I don't know. I assume the postgres user is created upon install. I have not done anything (create user) after install.

Can you connect to the server in any manner? - This is as far as I get:

Inline image 1

Just re-ran installer in Administrator mode with no difference.
Correction on previous statement: the installed does ask for Paths but
does not ask for a PW.

Dept of Late thoughts:

Did the Postgres server actually get installed?

Do you have a postgres OS user?

Can you connect to the server in any manner?

-Jovi

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

--
Jovi
Attachment

Re: [GENERAL] Install doesnt set SuperUser PW

From
Jovi Federici
Date:
OMG it worked! I just threw in a PW I had used for something else and it worked! Must have been your good vibes :-)

Inline image 1

Date:
On 12/13/2016 02:44 PM, Jovi Federici wrote:
> I'm going to try the new installer at bigsql, thanks!

I would uninstall the EDB version first.

> Did the Postgres server actually get installed? - I think so. I have
> Postgres in Programs folder
>
> Do you have a postgres OS user? - I don't know. I assume the postgres
> user is created upon install. I have not done anything (create user)
> after install.
>
> Can you connect to the server in any manner? - This is as far as I get:
>
> Inline image 1

So what happens if you just hit Enter without supplying a password?

Or if you do?:

psql -U postgres

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 12/13/2016 02:46 PM, Jovi Federici wrote:
> OMG it worked! I just threw in a PW I had used for something else and it
> worked! Must have been your good vibes :-)

Best guess, at some point in past you did an install where you supplied
a password and the installer stored that somewhere, so it did not need
it when you reinstalled.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 12/13/2016 01:46 PM, Jovi Federici wrote:
> Hi David, sorry bout that. Agreed: bad form. Here's the page:
>
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#windows
>
> Thank you for your help. I don't understand what you mean but "trust
> basis" and "don't listed on TCP/IP sockets by default" cause I'm really
> not that informed. I know python programming, basics on DB design, but
> very little on networking and SQL.

The 'trust' authentication method will be found in your pg_hba.conf file:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/auth-methods.html#AUTH-TRUST

On Windows, sockets really have no meaning as Postgres will use
localhost in their place.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com