variable value in array_to_string

From
"Armand Pirvu (home)"
Date:
Hi

Is there anyway I can pass a variable in the array_to_string function ?

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test1 () RETURNS void AS $$
DECLARE
foo text;
foo1 text;
begin
execute
'select ARRAY( SELECT d.COLUMN_NAME::text  from information_schema.constraint_table_usage c,
information_schema.key_column_usaged '
'where c.constraint_name=d.constraint_name and c.table_name=d.table_name and c.table_schema='
quote_literal(‘myschema')
' and c.table_schema=d.table_schema and c.constraint_name like '
quote_literal('%_pkey%')
') ' into foo;
raise notice '%', foo;
foo1 :=ARRAY_TO_STRING(foo, ', ');
raise notice '%', foo1;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql ;

The idea is that I want to slice and dice and not run the query x amount of times

Thank you

Armand

Re: variable value in array_to_string

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
Is there anyway I can pass a variable in the array_to_string function ?

​Yes, just like you can pass variables to any other function.​..

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test1 () RETURNS void AS $$
​​
DECLARE
foo text;
foo1 text;
begin
execute
'select ARRAY( SELECT d.COLUMN_NAME::text  from information_schema.constraint_table_usage c, information_schema.key_column_usage d '
'where c.constraint_name=d.constraint_name and c.table_name=d.table_name and c.table_schema='
quote_literal(‘myschema')
' and c.table_schema=d.table_schema and c.constraint_name like '
quote_literal('%_pkey%')
') ' into foo;
raise notice '%', foo;
foo1 :=ARRAY_TO_STRING(foo, ', ');
raise notice '%', foo1;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql ;

The idea is that I want to slice and dice and not run the query x amount of times

I would suggest you learn to use the "format()" function, EXECUTE USING,​ and dollar quoting.

So, I copy-pasted your example and placed it into a DO block

The character before "myschema" came out as a back-tick instead of a single-quote.

array_to_string has the signature (text[], text) but you've defined foo as being just text.  Changing that results in a query that executes - though given my system doesn't have conforming data I get no results.

David J.

Re: variable value in array_to_string

From
"Armand Pirvu (home)"
Date:
My bad on the back tick. No idea why it turned that way

OK got that David.

The idea is that I have the pk columns in an array which I would like to manipulate from the array itself rather than running same query variations multiple times

For example I get in foo

{item_id,show_id}

And from here on I was looking to get say

a.item_id , a.show_id

and all sort of variations

Thanks for help

[...]

It takes only the first array element in consideration

Ughhhh

[...]

Date:
Please don't top-post - it makes following the thread a lot harder.