pgbench and scaling

From
Rakesh Kumar
Date:
PG 9.5.3
RHEL Linux

To cut the story short and giving as much details as I can remember:

I created 40 database db1 .. db40 in a cluster.
On each database I initialized pgbench tables with a scale of 15.

Then I concurrently ran 5 pgbenches for 15 min. Each pgbench connected to one db. In other words, no two pgbench
sessionswere working on the same db.

I noticed that as I scale from 5 to 10 to 20 to 40, the TPS starts falling almost linearly :

with 5, TPS was doing 639
with 10 TPS was down to 490
with 20 TPS was down to 280
and so on.

Are we missing something?  Where do I start looking for the root cause.

thanks

Re: pgbench and scaling

From
Rakesh Kumar
Date:
I forgot to mention that the db is replicated synchronously.  I think that is the culprit.

Re: pgbench and scaling

From
Vick Khera
Date:
On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Rakesh Kumar
<rakeshkumar464@outlook.com> wrote:
> I noticed that as I scale from 5 to 10 to 20 to 40, the TPS starts falling almost linearly :
>
> with 5, TPS was doing 639
> with 10 TPS was down to 490
> with 20 TPS was down to 280
> and so on.

Are the TPS numbers per pgbench? If so, then you're getting
10x490=4900 TPS system wide, or 20*280=5600 TPS system wide.

If those are total TPS numbers then you should check your disk
utilization and CPU utilization and see where your bottleneck is.

Re: pgbench and scaling

From
rakeshkumar464
Date:
"Are the TPS numbers per pgbench? If so, then you're getting
10x490=4900 TPS system wide, or 20*280=5600 TPS system wide. "

Per pgbench.

Your explanation makes sense. thanks.