md5 password encryption?

From
Andreas
Date:
Hi,

how can I use md5 password encryption?
FAQ 3.4 just states that it will work but it doesn't explain how it is used.

Server PostgreSQL 9.5 on UBUNTU 16.04.1 with the standard installation.
postgresql.conf has SSL=ON so I expect it to work?   :}

Client is Access 2013 with psqlODBC 9.5.400.
So I'd like to use an ADODB-Connection with VBA.
I can allready connect with plaintext PW. Now I'like to add a bit of
extra security by using encrypted login.

Regards
Andreas

Re: md5 password encryption?

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 11/09/2016 10:59 AM, Andreas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I use md5 password encryption?
> FAQ 3.4 just states that it will work but it doesn't explain how it is
> used.

Because that behavior is determined by pg_hba.conf:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

See:

"auth-method

md5

     Require the client to supply a double-MD5-hashed password for
authentication. See Section 19.3.2 for details."

> Server PostgreSQL 9.5 on UBUNTU 16.04.1 with the standard installation.
> postgresql.conf has SSL=ON so I expect it to work?   :}

Has nothing to do with SSL.

> Client is Access 2013 with psqlODBC 9.5.400.
> So I'd like to use an ADODB-Connection with VBA.
> I can allready connect with plaintext PW. Now I'like to add a bit of
> extra security by using encrypted login.

I am suspect you may already be using md5. It still means you supply a
plain text password on the client end, just that it encrypts it before
sending across the wire.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com