Re: md5 password encryption? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: md5 password encryption?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 11/09/2016 10:59 AM, Andreas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I use md5 password encryption?
> FAQ 3.4 just states that it will work but it doesn't explain how it is
> used.

Because that behavior is determined by pg_hba.conf:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

See:

"auth-method

md5

     Require the client to supply a double-MD5-hashed password for
authentication. See Section 19.3.2 for details."

> Server PostgreSQL 9.5 on UBUNTU 16.04.1 with the standard installation.
> postgresql.conf has SSL=ON so I expect it to work?   :}

Has nothing to do with SSL.

> Client is Access 2013 with psqlODBC 9.5.400.
> So I'd like to use an ADODB-Connection with VBA.
> I can allready connect with plaintext PW. Now I'like to add a bit of
> extra security by using encrypted login.

I am suspect you may already be using md5. It still means you supply a
plain text password on the client end, just that it encrypts it before
sending across the wire.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com