Draft for next update release (scheduled for 27th Oct)

From
Umair Shahid
Date:
Hi,

We are in the process of writing up draft notes for the upcoming update releases. To initiate the process, we need to list out the major fixes going into the release. Need help from -hackers to generate that list.

Thanks!

- Umair

Re: Draft for next update release (scheduled for 27th Oct)

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
On 10/19/2016 12:06 PM, Umair Shahid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of writing up draft notes for the upcoming update
> releases. To initiate the process, we need to list out the major fixes
> going into the release. Need help from -hackers to generate that list.

I think you need to read through the commit log, since the last minor
releases. There's a script to help with that, in
src/tools/git_changelog. You can do something like
src/tools/git_changelog  --since=2016-08-09 to list all commits since
the last minor releases. Compared to plain "git log", it lists commits
from all the stable branches, and back-ported commits are listed only once.

Off the top of my head, these two recent commits were quite significant:

1c02ee314bc17ba0ff226c33a64935d02ff1208a (FSM corruption leading to errors)

a5f0bd77a2fab60a52dc335a63efc21abc806aa7 (use-after-free around DISTINCT
transition function calls.)

There have been a lot of other commits, though.

- Heikki

Re: Draft for next update release (scheduled for 27th Oct)

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 9:35 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> Off the top of my head, these two recent commits were quite significant:
>
> 1c02ee314bc17ba0ff226c33a64935d02ff1208a (FSM corruption leading to errors)
> a5f0bd77a2fab60a52dc335a63efc21abc806aa7 (use-after-free around DISTINCT
> transition function calls.)
>
> There have been a lot of other commits, though.

Another bad boy is dca25c2562199ce1e7e26367613912a8eadbbde8.
--
Michael

Re: Draft for next update release (scheduled for 27th Oct)

Date:
Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> writes:
> We are in the process of writing up draft notes for the upcoming update
> releases. To initiate the process, we need to list out the major fixes
> going into the release. Need help from -hackers to generate that list.

Why don't you just wait for the release notes to be written?  I'll
probably do that towards the end of the week.  But the raw material
for that comes from "git log", or even more specifically
src/tools/git_changelog.
        regards, tom lane

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Umair Shahid <umair.shahid@gmail.com> writes:
> We are in the process of writing up draft notes for the upcoming update
> releases. To initiate the process, we need to list out the major fixes
> going into the release. Need help from -hackers to generate that list.

Why don't you just wait for the release notes to be written?  I'll
probably do that towards the end of the week.  But the raw material
for that comes from "git log", or even more specifically
src/tools/git_changelog.

Yes, I'll lean on the release notes for the 'Additional Bug Fixes' section. This mail, however, is intended to gather info about the major issues that are being addressed.

                        regards, tom lane