/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432 should be 5433

From
Poul Kristensen
Date:
Hi !

I have need to have to difference Postgres version runnung on the same RHEL 7.2 server.

They are listening on 2 different ports as configured but socket is still listening
on  port 5432 for  both of them.

How come and how do I change this?

TIA

Poul

Re: /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432 should be 5433

Date:
Poul Kristensen <bcc5226@gmail.com> writes:
> I have need to have to difference Postgres version runnung on the same RHEL
> 7.2 server.

> They are listening on 2 different ports as configured but socket is
> still listening on port 5432 for both of them.

It sounds like you didn't configure the second one correctly, but since
you said nothing about what you did to configure it, it's hard to offer
any concrete advice.

            regards, tom lane

Re: /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432 should be 5433

From
Scott Whitney

1) You should have a script in /etc/init.d called something like postgresql-VERSION

2) Rename this to postgresql-SomeIdentifierThatRunsOn5432

3) Copy it to postgresql-SomeIdentifiedThatRunsOn5433

4) You now have 2 identical scripts in /etc/init.d

5) In /etc/sysconfig/pgsql create 2 scripts named the same thing. The exact same names as your scripts in /etc/init.d

6) They will say something like this:

PGDATA=/pgdata/myDirTo5432
PGPORT=5432
PGLOG=/var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.${PGPORT}.log

PGDATA=/pgdata/myDirTo5433
PGPORT=5433
PGLOG=/var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.${PGPORT}.log

Then do your service SCRIPTNAME initdb and service SCRIPTNAME start

Works for me.

I have need to have to difference Postgres version runnung on the same RHEL 7.2 server.

They are listening on 2 different ports as configured but socket is still listening
on  port 5432 for  both of them.

How come and how do I change this?

TIA

Poul

Journyx, Inc.
7600 Burnet Road #300
Austin, TX 78757
www.journyx.com

p 512.834.8888
f 512-834-8858

Re: /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432 should be 5433

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Scott Whitney wrote:
> 1) You should have a script in /etc/init.d called something like postgresql-VERSION
>

> 2) Rename this to postgresql-SomeIdentifierThatRunsOn5432
>
> 3) Copy it to postgresql-SomeIdentifiedThatRunsOn5433

I think it's better to keep one of these under the original name, and
make the second one a symlink to it.  That way, the whole system won't
break when the packages are updated.  Other than that little detail,
your suggested procedure seems sound ... in a pre-systemd world.  I am
not familiar with systemd enough to know what, if anything, should be
done differently there (I don't know whether RHEL 7.2 is systemd or
not).

Re: /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432 should be 5433

From
Scott Mead