PostgreSQL web development process (was: fix colspan of commitfest topic headers)

From
Marti Raudsepp
Date:
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Here's a patch to fix the upper right corner of the table on
>> commitfest pages
> The plan is to switch to the  new app.

What and where is "the new app"? I couldn't find any discussion on
this list, nor a repository on git.postgresql.org. But maybe I didn't
look hard enough.

How is www development happening in general? Are development decisions
made in private? If yes, that's fine, it's just difficult to find
information about how things work.

If there is a list of tasks that need to be done, I may be able to
help out with development. I have almost 3 years of experience
developing web apps with Django.

Regards,
Marti

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Marti Raudsepp <marti@juffo.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> Here's a patch to fix the upper right corner of the table on
>>> commitfest pages
>> The plan is to switch to the  new app.
>
> What and where is "the new app"? I couldn't find any discussion on
> this list, nor a repository on git.postgresql.org. But maybe I didn't
> look hard enough.

This was discussed at the developer meeting. Then it was on me to
clean up a few things and get it out there, and I dropped the ball on
that. The idea has *definitely* been to make it public as soon as it's
ready to go.

> How is www development happening in general? Are development decisions
> made in private? If yes, that's fine, it's just difficult to find
> information about how things work.

I think you naively assume they work :)

In general, the team who work in it is very small and restricted in
resources, so most of the discussion is just a quick ping about ideas
on IRC and then someone does it.. That's definitely far from ideal,
but that's how it tends to work right now.

> If there is a list of tasks that need to be done, I may be able to
> help out with development. I have almost 3 years of experience
> developing web apps with Django.

We'd definitely be very happy to have you on board. Right now there
are no huge tasks on the main website, I believe, but there are some
small ones. The big one is that we really do want to redesign the site
from a graphical perspective, but that's a whole different kind of
job...

If you can shoot me an email with your community account name, I will
be happy to give you access to both the cf repository and what
resources we do have on the website tasks.