Re: PostgreSQL web development process (was: fix colspan of commitfest topic headers) - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PostgreSQL web development process (was: fix colspan of commitfest topic headers)
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Marti Raudsepp <marti@juffo.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> Here's a patch to fix the upper right corner of the table on
>>> commitfest pages
>> The plan is to switch to the  new app.
>
> What and where is "the new app"? I couldn't find any discussion on
> this list, nor a repository on git.postgresql.org. But maybe I didn't
> look hard enough.

This was discussed at the developer meeting. Then it was on me to
clean up a few things and get it out there, and I dropped the ball on
that. The idea has *definitely* been to make it public as soon as it's
ready to go.

> How is www development happening in general? Are development decisions
> made in private? If yes, that's fine, it's just difficult to find
> information about how things work.

I think you naively assume they work :)

In general, the team who work in it is very small and restricted in
resources, so most of the discussion is just a quick ping about ideas
on IRC and then someone does it.. That's definitely far from ideal,
but that's how it tends to work right now.

> If there is a list of tasks that need to be done, I may be able to
> help out with development. I have almost 3 years of experience
> developing web apps with Django.

We'd definitely be very happy to have you on board. Right now there
are no huge tasks on the main website, I believe, but there are some
small ones. The big one is that we really do want to redesign the site
from a graphical perspective, but that's a whole different kind of
job...

If you can shoot me an email with your community account name, I will
be happy to give you access to both the cf repository and what
resources we do have on the website tasks.