Interactive Doc Comments - Their Future?

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi Everyone,

We have a section on our website for "interactive" documentation, where people can submit their comments on the
documentation,and a moderator will go and approve them.  Somehow I've become the de facto moderator, which I have no
problemwith.  However, I have noticed an interesting pattern with the doc comments that are submitted - they all tend
tofall into a few categories:
1. Document spelling / indexing corrections2. Feature Requests3. Requests for clarification4. Advice for the reader5.
Statementsthat are just plain wrong

The only guidelines we have for submitting interactive docs are as such:
"Please use this form to add your own comments regarding your experience with particular features of PostgreSQL,
clarificationsof the documentation, or hints for other users. Please note, this is not a support forum, and your IP
addresswill be logged. If you have a question or need help, please see the faq, try a mailing list, or join us on IRC.
Notethat submissions containing URLs or other keywords commonly found in 'spam' comments may be silently discarded.
Pleasecontact the webmaster if you think this is happening to you in error."

Currently I try to handle these scenarios as such:
#1, sometimes #3 - relay to someone working on docs#2, #5 - reject#4 - approve if it seems relevant, otherwise reject

So this begs a few questions:
* What are the goals for having the interactive docs around?* Are they actually useful? *Is it something we wish to
maintainon the website?* If we do remove them, do we want to have better guidance on the static docs on where to submit
corrections/ feature requests / etc?

My personal thoughts from reading what is submitted is that the doc comments are not that useful and should be removed,
butwe should be able to make it easy for people to submit thoughts to -docs or other avenues to get submissions in,
particularlywhen they are on a particular document page.

But of course, I think this would make for a good discussion :-) So - what, if anything, should we do with the
interactivedocs?

Best,

Jonathan

Re: Interactive Doc Comments - Their Future?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 3:33 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> We have a section on our website for "interactive" documentation, where people can submit their comments on the
documentation,and a moderator will go and approve them.  Somehow I've become the de facto moderator, which I have no
problemwith.  However, I have noticed an interesting pattern with the doc comments that are submitted - they all tend
tofall into a few categories:

>         1. Document spelling / indexing corrections
>         2. Feature Requests
>         3. Requests for clarification
>         4. Advice for the reader
>         5. Statements that are just plain wrong
>
> The only guidelines we have for submitting interactive docs are as such:
>
>         "Please use this form to add your own comments regarding your experience with particular features of
PostgreSQL,clarifications of the documentation, or hints for other users. Please note, this is not a support forum, and
yourIP address will be logged. If you have a question or need help, please see the faq, try a mailing list, or join us
onIRC. Note that submissions containing URLs or other keywords commonly found in 'spam' comments may be silently
discarded.Please contact the webmaster if you think this is happening to you in error."

> Currently I try to handle these scenarios as such:
>
>         #1, sometimes #3 - relay to someone working on docs
>         #2, #5 - reject
>         #4 - approve if it seems relevant, otherwise reject
>
> So this begs a few questions:
>
>         * What are the goals for having the interactive docs around?
>         * Are they actually useful?
>          *Is it something we wish to maintain on the website?
>         * If we do remove them, do we want to have better guidance on the static docs on where to submit corrections
/feature requests / etc?

> My personal thoughts from reading what is submitted is that the doc comments are not that useful and should be
removed,but we should be able to make it easy for people to submit thoughts to -docs or other avenues to get
submissionsin, particularly when they are on a particular document page.

> But of course, I think this would make for a good discussion :-) So - what, if anything, should we do with the
interactivedocs?

They were originally inspired by the comment system on the PHP doc
website, which if you've ever hacked with PHP you'll probably agree is
an invaluable resource - however, that's largely because the PHP docs
just aren't great (IMHO, YMMV etc. etc.). Having user submitted code
examples and additional explanation is very useful. Our docs are far
better however, so naturally the comments are less useful. That said,
I have, on odd occasions, found them to be helpful. Personally, I'd
vote for keeping them, if you or others are happy to continue with the
moderation tasks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Mar 5, 2014, at 3:43 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 3:33 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> We have a section on our website for "interactive" documentation, where people can submit their comments on the
documentation,and a moderator will go and approve them.  Somehow I've become the de facto moderator, which I have no
problemwith.  However, I have noticed an interesting pattern with the doc comments that are submitted - they all tend
tofall into a few categories:

>>        1. Document spelling / indexing corrections
>>        2. Feature Requests
>>        3. Requests for clarification
>>        4. Advice for the reader
>>        5. Statements that are just plain wrong
>>
>> The only guidelines we have for submitting interactive docs are as such:
>>
>>        "Please use this form to add your own comments regarding your experience with particular features of
PostgreSQL,clarifications of the documentation, or hints for other users. Please note, this is not a support forum, and
yourIP address will be logged. If you have a question or need help, please see the faq, try a mailing list, or join us
onIRC. Note that submissions containing URLs or other keywords commonly found in 'spam' comments may be silently
discarded.Please contact the webmaster if you think this is happening to you in error."

>> Currently I try to handle these scenarios as such:
>>
>>        #1, sometimes #3 - relay to someone working on docs
>>        #2, #5 - reject
>>        #4 - approve if it seems relevant, otherwise reject
>>
>> So this begs a few questions:
>>
>>        * What are the goals for having the interactive docs around?
>>        * Are they actually useful?
>>         *Is it something we wish to maintain on the website?
>>        * If we do remove them, do we want to have better guidance on the static docs on where to submit corrections
/feature requests / etc?

>> My personal thoughts from reading what is submitted is that the doc comments are not that useful and should be
removed,but we should be able to make it easy for people to submit thoughts to -docs or other avenues to get
submissionsin, particularly when they are on a particular document page.

>> But of course, I think this would make for a good discussion :-) So - what, if anything, should we do with the
interactivedocs?

> They were originally inspired by the comment system on the PHP doc
> website, which if you've ever hacked with PHP you'll probably agree is
> an invaluable resource - however, that's largely because the PHP docs
> just aren't great (IMHO, YMMV etc. etc.).

I kind of figured they were inspired by the PHP docs, and yes, I totally agree that the PHP comments were definitely a
welcomesupplement to the documentation, particularly PHP4 (IMHO, YMMV, etc. etc., to borrow your phrase)

> Having user submitted code
> examples and additional explanation is very useful. Our docs are far
> better however, so naturally the comments are less useful. That said,
> I have, on odd occasions, found them to be helpful. Personally, I'd
> vote for keeping them, if you or others are happy to continue with the
> moderation tasks.

I am sure there are past examples that are helpful, but the issue is what we are getting with the current submissions,
alot of which are requests for clarification or additions more suited for -general, #postgresql or even -docs.

With that said, does anyone involved with -docs pay attention to new comments?  I'm not sure if an alert is sent over
there. If it is, it makes the submissions much more useful and allows for a level of interactivity.

Date:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 10:36:02AM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> With that said, does anyone involved with -docs pay attention to new
> comments?  I'm not sure if an alert is sent over there.  If it is,
> it makes the submissions much more useful and allows for a level of
> interactivity.

I believe Tom Lane goes over the comments before every major release and
merges useful suggestions into our docs.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: Interactive Doc Comments - Their Future?

Date:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 10:36:02AM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>> With that said, does anyone involved with -docs pay attention to new
>> comments?  I'm not sure if an alert is sent over there.  If it is,
>> it makes the submissions much more useful and allows for a level of
>> interactivity.

> I believe Tom Lane goes over the comments before every major release and
> merges useful suggestions into our docs.

Uh, no.  That would possibly be a useful thing to do, but I don't do it
--- I don't even have a way to examine the existing comments, short of
manually visiting every one of the HTML pages.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Mar 5, 2014, at 10:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 10:36:02AM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>>> With that said, does anyone involved with -docs pay attention to new
>>> comments?  I'm not sure if an alert is sent over there.  If it is,
>>> it makes the submissions much more useful and allows for a level of
>>> interactivity.
>
>> I believe Tom Lane goes over the comments before every major release and
>> merges useful suggestions into our docs.
>
> Uh, no.  That would possibly be a useful thing to do, but I don't do it
> --- I don't even have a way to examine the existing comments, short of
> manually visiting every one of the HTML pages.

It's very easy from the www admin page, but you would need access (not sure if you have already?)

Date:
On Wed, Mar  5, 2014 at 10:43:57AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 10:36:02AM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> >> With that said, does anyone involved with -docs pay attention to new
> >> comments?  I'm not sure if an alert is sent over there.  If it is,
> >> it makes the submissions much more useful and allows for a level of
> >> interactivity.
>
> > I believe Tom Lane goes over the comments before every major release and
> > merges useful suggestions into our docs.
>
> Uh, no.  That would possibly be a useful thing to do, but I don't do it
> --- I don't even have a way to examine the existing comments, short of
> manually visiting every one of the HTML pages.

Uh, I see you tried to do it in 2003:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20545.1068921919@sss.pgh.pa.us

and I see you doing it in 2005:
commit 7da8623a562d3f6c25363796ed3df086a4da4594Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>Date:   Sun Jan 9 18:58:10 2005
+0000   Last batch of updates in response to 7.4 interactive docs comments.

I assumed you were still doing it, but I don't see anything post-2005,
so I am concerned we have not been doing it recently.  Can someone
confirm this and perhaps do it for post-2005?

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: Interactive Doc Comments - Their Future?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 4:33 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

We have a section on our website for "interactive" documentation, where people can submit their comments on the documentation, and a moderator will go and approve them.  Somehow I've become the de facto moderator, which I have no problem with.  However, I have noticed an interesting pattern with the doc comments that are submitted - they all tend to fall into a few categories:

        1. Document spelling / indexing corrections
        2. Feature Requests
        3. Requests for clarification
        4. Advice for the reader
        5. Statements that are just plain wrong

In my experience, a lot of othem fall under either #5, or under the category of repeating something that's already on the page.

        #1, sometimes #3 - relay to someone working on docs
        #2, #5 - reject
        #4 - approve if it seems relevant, otherwise reject

So this begs a few questions:

        * What are the goals for having the interactive docs around?
        * Are they actually useful?
         *Is it something we wish to maintain on the website?
        * If we do remove them, do we want to have better guidance on the static docs on where to submit corrections / feature requests / etc?

My personal thoughts from reading what is submitted is that the doc comments are not that useful and should be removed, but we should be able to make it easy for people to submit thoughts to -docs or other avenues to get submissions in, particularly when they are on a particular document page.

But of course, I think this would make for a good discussion :-) So - what, if anything, should we do with the interactive docs?

They're not particularly interactive today. They're a one way submission, and then a moderator.

Perhaps what we could do is replace them with something that works like the bug report form. So instead of submitting a comment into a static space, they turn into an email to the -docs list, which can then get discussion around it and eventually turn it into a modifications for the actual docs?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Interactive Doc Comments - Their Future?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Perhaps what we could do is replace them with something that works like the
> bug report form. So instead of submitting a comment into a static space,
> they turn into an email to the -docs list, which can then get discussion
> around it and eventually turn it into a modifications for the actual docs?

No objection, but can we please get an extra moderator for pgsql-docs?

Re: Interactive Doc Comments - Their Future?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 3/5/14, 2:17 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Perhaps what we could do is replace them with something that works like
> the bug report form. So instead of submitting a comment into a static
> space, they turn into an email to the -docs list, which can then get
> discussion around it and eventually turn it into a modifications for the
> actual docs?

That seems most useful to me.

Date:
On Mar 5, 2014, at 3:41 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On 3/5/14, 2:17 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Perhaps what we could do is replace them with something that works like
>> the bug report form. So instead of submitting a comment into a static
>> space, they turn into an email to the -docs list, which can then get
>> discussion around it and eventually turn it into a modifications for the
>> actual docs?
>
> That seems most useful to me.

Yes, because ultimately, with a lot of doc comments that come in, this is what I would do anyway (and in fairness, I
havequeued up a bunch to send over)

Date:
Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2014, at 3:41 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > On 3/5/14, 2:17 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> Perhaps what we could do is replace them with something that works like
> >> the bug report form. So instead of submitting a comment into a static
> >> space, they turn into an email to the -docs list, which can then get
> >> discussion around it and eventually turn it into a modifications for the
> >> actual docs?
> >
> > That seems most useful to me.
>
> Yes, because ultimately, with a lot of doc comments that come in, this is what I would do anyway (and in fairness, I
havequeued up a bunch to send over)

So in short the "interactive" docs would go away (i.e. no comments are
displayed), and the form in the docs/interactive/ pages would submit a
comment to pgsql-docs, so that hopefully we merge the useful ones into
the main text.  The docs/interactive/ URLs would redirect to the static
pages (or perhaps serve the same contents without redirecting?)

Is that it?

Date:
On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2014, at 3:41 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > On 3/5/14, 2:17 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> Perhaps what we could do is replace them with something that works like
> >> the bug report form. So instead of submitting a comment into a static
> >> space, they turn into an email to the -docs list, which can then get
> >> discussion around it and eventually turn it into a modifications for the
> >> actual docs?
> >
> > That seems most useful to me.
>
> Yes, because ultimately, with a lot of doc comments that come in, this is what I would do anyway (and in fairness, I have queued up a bunch to send over)

So in short the "interactive" docs would go away (i.e. no comments are
displayed), and the form in the docs/interactive/ pages would submit a
comment to pgsql-docs, so that hopefully we merge the useful ones into
the main text.  The docs/interactive/ URLs would redirect to the static
pages (or perhaps serve the same contents without redirecting?)

Is that it?

Yes, that sums up my suggestion well.

I think the best is to redirect to static and actually add the form to the bottom of the static pages as well. There's no need to keep them separate if all we have is the feedback box, is there? (We could even use some javascript magic to hide it behind a click).

We'd want the redirects to happen rather than serve up the same content, for SEO reasons.

--

Date:
On Thu, Mar  6, 2014 at 12:16:39PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> > > That seems most useful to me.
> >
> > Yes, because ultimately, with a lot of doc comments that come in, this is what I would do anyway (and in fairness,
Ihave queued up a bunch to send over)

> So in short the "interactive" docs would go away (i.e. no comments are
> displayed), and the form in the docs/interactive/ pages would submit a
> comment to pgsql-docs, so that hopefully we merge the useful ones into
> the main text.  The docs/interactive/ URLs would redirect to the static
> pages (or perhaps serve the same contents without redirecting?)

Good. I have disliked that users had to choose with/without comments
before seeing the docs.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:

> > So in short the "interactive" docs would go away (i.e. no comments are
> > displayed), and the form in the docs/interactive/ pages would submit a
> > comment to pgsql-docs, so that hopefully we merge the useful ones into
> > the main text.  The docs/interactive/ URLs would redirect to the static
> > pages (or perhaps serve the same contents without redirecting?)
>
> Yes, that sums up my suggestion well.

So, is anyone going to work on this?  I just noticed that there are two
dozens of comments pending moderation right now.

Re: Interactive Doc Comments - Their Future?

Date:
On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 06:13:31PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:
>
> > > So in short the "interactive" docs would go away (i.e. no comments are
> > > displayed), and the form in the docs/interactive/ pages would submit a
> > > comment to pgsql-docs, so that hopefully we merge the useful ones into
> > > the main text.  The docs/interactive/ URLs would redirect to the static
> > > pages (or perhaps serve the same contents without redirecting?)
> >
> > Yes, that sums up my suggestion well.
>
> So, is anyone going to work on this?  I just noticed that there are two
> dozens of comments pending moderation right now.

Ten months later, is anyone working on this?

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: Interactive Doc Comments - Their Future?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
-0400,Alvaro Herrera wrote:<br /> > > Magnus Hagander wrote:<br /> > > > On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM,
AlvaroHerrera <<a href="mailto:alvherre@2ndquadrant.com">alvherre@2ndquadrant.com</a>>wrote:<br /> > ><br
/>> > > > So in short the "interactive" docs would go away (i.e. no comments are<br /> > > > >
displayed),and the form in the docs/interactive/ pages would submit a<br /> > > > > comment to pgsql-docs,
sothat hopefully we merge the useful ones into<br /> > > > > the main text.  The docs/interactive/ URLs
wouldredirect to the static<br /> > > > > pages (or perhaps serve the same contents without
>So, is anyone going to work on this?  I just noticed that there are two<br /> > > dozens of comments pending
dir="ltr">Certainlyseems like "no". I think it was forgotten, so thanks for the reminder. <p dir="ltr">I know Jonathan
startedlooking at it after your reminder, so hopefully we can have something before another ten months pass...<br /><p
dir="ltr">/Magnus<br />

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

On May 14, 2015 10:42 PM, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 06:13:31PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > > Yes, that sums up my suggestion well.
> >
> > So, is anyone going to work on this?  I just noticed that there are two
> > dozens of comments pending moderation right now.
>
> Ten months later, is anyone working on this?

Certainly seems like "no". I think it was forgotten, so thanks for the reminder.

I know Jonathan started looking at it after your reminder, so hopefully we can have something before another ten months pass...

Wow, look, only about 2 years later, but this is actually done now.