Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL User Group in Singapore

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 11/12/2013 02:37 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a usergroup in Singapore and have been doing some informal meetups.
> We are going to formalize and make it more organized.
>
> We will be registering on meetup and will be organizing meetups and events.
>
> Please help us setup a mailing list for Singapore PostgreSQL Users.

Web folks, can you create a mailing list for Sameer?  I think the
appropriate one would be sgs_pug?  Or maybe just singaporepug ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL User Group in Singapore

From
Sameer Kumar

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
On 11/12/2013 02:37 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a usergroup in Singapore and have been doing some informal meetups.
> We are going to formalize and make it more organized.
>
> We will be registering on meetup and will be organizing meetups and events.
>
> Please help us setup a mailing list for Singapore PostgreSQL Users.

Web folks, can you create a mailing list for Sameer?  I think the
appropriate one would be sgs_pug?  Or maybe just singaporepug ...

Please make it pugsea or pug_sea. I see we already have folks from Jakarta interested in this and i have seen good traction for PostgreSQL in other countries in South East Asia as well. Once created, help us get more and more PUGSEANs to join us from the region. :-)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Thanks Josh!

Date:
On 11/13/2013 02:46 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/12/2013 02:37 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have a usergroup in Singapore and have been doing some informal
>> meetups.
>>> We are going to formalize and make it more organized.
>>>
>>> We will be registering on meetup and will be organizing meetups and
>> events.
>>>
>>> Please help us setup a mailing list for Singapore PostgreSQL Users.
>>
>> Web folks, can you create a mailing list for Sameer?  I think the
>> appropriate one would be sgs_pug?  Or maybe just singaporepug ...
>>
>> Please make it pugsea or pug_sea. I see we already have folks from Jakarta
> interested in this and i have seen good traction for PostgreSQL in other
> countries in South East Asia as well. Once created, help us get more and
> more PUGSEANs to join us from the region. :-)

Well, pug_sea is out, simply because there's already a seapug and there
would be too much confusion.

SEAsia_Pug?

Do you know that folks from Jakarta will want to join your PUG instead
of having their own?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
On 11/13/2013 02:46 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/12/2013 02:37 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have a usergroup in Singapore and have been doing some informal
>> meetups.
>>> We are going to formalize and make it more organized.
>>>
>>> We will be registering on meetup and will be organizing meetups and
>> events.
>>>
>>> Please help us setup a mailing list for Singapore PostgreSQL Users.
>>
>> Web folks, can you create a mailing list for Sameer?  I think the
>> appropriate one would be sgs_pug?  Or maybe just singaporepug ...
>>
>> Please make it pugsea or pug_sea. I see we already have folks from Jakarta
> interested in this and i have seen good traction for PostgreSQL in other
> countries in South East Asia as well. Once created, help us get more and
> more PUGSEANs to join us from the region. :-)

Well, pug_sea is out, simply because there's already a seapug and there
would be too much confusion.

SEAsia_Pug?

How about pugSEAsia or pug_SEAsia?
Do you know that folks from Jakarta will want to join your PUG instead
of having their own?

We plan to organize events in Kuala Lumpur/Jakarta in addition to organizing meetups in Singapore and hence proposing to create a group for the region. Moreover geographically it is more convenient to have a South East Asian group compared to having something of those lines in India/China/Europe or Americas. If folks in Jakarta would like to have their on PUG, we would like to work with them promote and organize events for the local PUG (still a SE Asia group makes sense).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL User Group in Singapore

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM, Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> > interested in this and i have seen good traction for PostgreSQL in other
>> > countries in South East Asia as well. Once created, help us get more and
>> > more PUGSEANs to join us from the region. :-)
>>
>> Well, pug_sea is out, simply because there's already a seapug and there
>> would be too much confusion.
>>
>> SEAsia_Pug?
>>

> How about pugSEAsia or pug_SEAsia?
>>
>> Do you know that folks from Jakarta will want to join your PUG instead
>> of having their own?
>>
> We plan to organize events in Kuala Lumpur/Jakarta in addition to organizing
> meetups in Singapore and hence proposing to create a group for the region.
> Moreover geographically it is more convenient to have a South East Asian
> group compared to having something of those lines in India/China/Europe or
> Americas. If folks in Jakarta would like to have their on PUG, we would like
> to work with them promote and organize events for the local PUG (still a SE
> Asia group makes sense).

Let's please try to keep the naming convention consistent with (most
of) the others, e.g. seasiapug.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
> Let's please try to keep the naming convention consistent with (most
> of) the others, e.g. seasiapug.

Surely there must be another name for
Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia/Sumatra as a region?

Given that this PUG isn't all that likely to stretch to Cambodia?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL User Group in Singapore

From
Sameer Kumar
Date:
/>>of) the others, e.g. seasiapug.<p dir="ltr">If there is a naming convention to be followed, we will align to
it.<divclass="gmail_default"
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;color:rgb(51,153,153);display:inline"></div><divclass="gmail_default"
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;display:inline"><fontcolor="#000000"> But if exceptions are allowed, I
wouldrequest this to be one of them (pugSEAsia)</font></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;color:rgb(51,153,153);display:inline"></div><divclass="gmail_default"
/><pdir="ltr">> Surely there must be another name for<br /> > Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia/Sumatra as a
settingup a new PUG or extending to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia too (but not at this moment).<div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;display:inline">Even in that scenario it sounds good to create a
dir="ltr"><divclass="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;display:inline"><font
color="#000000"></font></span><divclass="gmail_default"
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;display:inline"><fontcolor="#000000">Sameer</font></div><font

Date:
> Cambodia is not in consideration for now. But we definitely want to include
> Thailand and
> Philippines
> . If we see the momentum then I am keen on setting up a new PUG or
> extending to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia too (but not at this moment).
> Even in that scenario it sounds good to create a Pan-ASEAN group.

OK, given that, some kind of name based on SEASIA makes sense.  So,
SEASIAPUG?  Please let's create something and not let it hold up them
building a user group.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL User Group in Singapore

From
Sameer Kumar
Date:
guys, </div><divclass="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;color:#339999"><br /></div><div
class="gmail_default"style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;color:#339999"> just wanted to followup on this and
checkif more info is needed from my side to get this PUG created?</div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;color:#339999"><br/></div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;color:#339999">regards</div><div class="gmail_default"
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;color:#339999">sameer</div></div>

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL User Group in Singapore

From
Sameer Kumar
Date:
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to followup on this and check if more info is needed from my side to get this PUG created?

regards
Sameer

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL User Group in Singapore

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi Sameer,