Git lag

From
Thom Brown
Date:
Hi all,

There was a commit by Tom Lane approximately 30 mins ago, yet I'm
still unable to pull those changes into my local repo.  I'm told it's
up-to-date, but the latest commit was Magnus' pg_hba line number
logging change.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

--
Thom

Re: Git lag

Date:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> There was a commit by Tom Lane approximately 30 mins ago, yet I'm
> still unable to pull those changes into my local repo.  I'm told it's
> up-to-date, but the latest commit was Magnus' pg_hba line number
> logging change.

That's really weird, because that commit did show up on
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git
almost immediately.  I had the idea that gitweb was looking at the
same anonymous-access git repo that non-committers should pull from.
Maybe there's a third repo involved?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Git lag

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> There was a commit by Tom Lane approximately 30 mins ago, yet I'm
>> still unable to pull those changes into my local repo.  I'm told it's
>> up-to-date, but the latest commit was Magnus' pg_hba line number
>> logging change.
>
> That's really weird, because that commit did show up on
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git
> almost immediately.  I had the idea that gitweb was looking at the
> same anonymous-access git repo that non-committers should pull from.
> Maybe there's a third repo involved?

There's not, but there is some caching that can happen if you're
pulling the repo via http (I forget the exact details). Try using the
git:// URL instead Thom.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Git lag

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 10 March 2013 18:51, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> There was a commit by Tom Lane approximately 30 mins ago, yet I'm
>> still unable to pull those changes into my local repo.  I'm told it's
>> up-to-date, but the latest commit was Magnus' pg_hba line number
>> logging change.
>
> That's really weird, because that commit did show up on
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git
> almost immediately.  I had the idea that gitweb was looking at the
> same anonymous-access git repo that non-committers should pull from.
> Maybe there's a third repo involved?

Actually I'm thinking there must be something wrong with my local
repo, as I have another copy on another server which I just updated
and it's got that latest change without any problems.

I'm definitely on master:

thom@swift ~/Development/postgresql $ git status
# On branch master
nothing to commit (working directory clean)
thom@swift ~/Development/postgresql $ git pull
Already up-to-date.
thom@swift ~/Development/postgresql $ git log | head -n 5
commit 7f49a67f954db3e92fd96963169fb8302959576e
Author: Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
Date:   Sun Mar 10 15:54:37 2013 +0100
   Report pg_hba line number and contents when users fail to log in

--
Thom

Re: Git lag

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 10 March 2013 18:54, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>>> There was a commit by Tom Lane approximately 30 mins ago, yet I'm
>>> still unable to pull those changes into my local repo.  I'm told it's
>>> up-to-date, but the latest commit was Magnus' pg_hba line number
>>> logging change.
>>
>> That's really weird, because that commit did show up on
>> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git
>> almost immediately.  I had the idea that gitweb was looking at the
>> same anonymous-access git repo that non-committers should pull from.
>> Maybe there's a third repo involved?
>
> There's not, but there is some caching that can happen if you're
> pulling the repo via http (I forget the exact details). Try using the
> git:// URL instead Thom.

Ah okay, yes, changed my .git/config to use git:// and all is well
again.  Sorry for the noise.

--
Thom

Re: Git lag

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 10 March 2013 18:54, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's really weird, because that commit did show up on
>>> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git
>>> almost immediately.  I had the idea that gitweb was looking at the
>>> same anonymous-access git repo that non-committers should pull from.
>>> Maybe there's a third repo involved?
>>
>> There's not, but there is some caching that can happen if you're
>> pulling the repo via http (I forget the exact details). Try using the
>> git:// URL instead Thom.
>
> Ah okay, yes, changed my .git/config to use git:// and all is well
> again.  Sorry for the noise.

Not at all - Dave is actually at least partially wrong here, and I'm
pretty sure I broke something. There were stil some issues before with
http pulls, but they have unfortunately been made quite a lot worse :)
I'll look at getting that sorted as soon a I can.

Basically, there used to be an update issue. But now that we do full
caching on the data, the fixes that are in there to work around the
previous issue, don't necessarily work anymore...

Re: Git lag

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

>>> There's not, but there is some caching that can happen if you're
>>> pulling the repo via http (I forget the exact details). Try using the
>>> git:// URL instead Thom.
>>
>> Ah okay, yes, changed my .git/config to use git:// and all is well
>> again.  Sorry for the noise.
>
> Not at all - Dave is actually at least partially wrong here, and I'm
> pretty sure I broke something. There were stil some issues before with
> http pulls, but they have unfortunately been made quite a lot worse :)
> I'll look at getting that sorted as soon a I can.
>
> Basically, there used to be an update issue. But now that we do full
> caching on the data, the fixes that are in there to work around the
> previous issue, don't necessarily work anymore...

With lots of delay, this should be fixed now. Sorry about that.

Other ways of pulling are still *faster* than http, but there should
be no extra delay in it.