azpug@postgresql.org

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hey guys,

I was talking with the organizers of AZ Pug today (copied on this email)
and they were interested in getting an azpug@postgresql.org list. This
is an almost two year old PUG. Can we get them taken care of?

JD
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579

Re: azpug@postgresql.org

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake escribió:

> Hey guys,
>
> I was talking with the organizers of AZ Pug today (copied on this
> email) and they were interested in getting an azpug@postgresql.org
> list. This is an almost two year old PUG. Can we get them taken care
> of?

Uhm, so I take it AZ is Arizona.  I don't object to the idea, but I note
that AZ is also the 2-letter country code for Azerbaijan.  IIRC somebody
proposed using airport codes for PUG names to avoid conflicts; that
would make it PHXPUG I think, which sounds pretty horrible to me.  I
admit we don't hear much from Azeri users, so maybe AZPUG is okay?

Re: azpug@postgresql.org

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 02/12/2013 12:32 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Uhm, so I take it AZ is Arizona.  I don't object to the idea, but I note
> that AZ is also the 2-letter country code for Azerbaijan.  IIRC somebody
> proposed using airport codes for PUG names to avoid conflicts; that
> would make it PHXPUG I think, which sounds pretty horrible to me.  I
> admit we don't hear much from Azeri users, so maybe AZPUG is okay?

Wow you learn something new everyday. I think that using PHXPUG is a bad
idea, there is more than one airport in AZ. I vote AZPUG.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579

Re: azpug@postgresql.org

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 02/12/2013 12:36 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Uhm, so I take it AZ is Arizona.  I don't object to the idea, but I note
>> that AZ is also the 2-letter country code for Azerbaijan.  IIRC somebody
>> proposed using airport codes for PUG names to avoid conflicts; that
>> would make it PHXPUG I think, which sounds pretty horrible to me.  I
>> admit we don't hear much from Azeri users, so maybe AZPUG is okay?

Yeah, I think an Azerbaijan user group is unlikely, at best.

Mind you, if the list needs modification *anyway*, is there something
wrong with using ArizonaPUG@postgresql.org?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: azpug@postgresql.org

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 02/12/2013 02:04 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 02/12/2013 12:36 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>> On 02/12/2013 12:32 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>
>>> Uhm, so I take it AZ is Arizona.  I don't object to the idea, but I note
>>> that AZ is also the 2-letter country code for Azerbaijan.  IIRC somebody
>>> proposed using airport codes for PUG names to avoid conflicts; that
>>> would make it PHXPUG I think, which sounds pretty horrible to me.  I
>>> admit we don't hear much from Azeri users, so maybe AZPUG is okay?
>
> Yeah, I think an Azerbaijan user group is unlikely, at best.
>
> Mind you, if the list needs modification *anyway*, is there something
> wrong with using ArizonaPUG@postgresql.org?

That seems a reasonable compromise.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579

Re: azpug@postgresql.org

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 02/12/2013 11:19 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 02/12/2013 02:04 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Yeah, I think an Azerbaijan user group is unlikely, at best.
>>
>> Mind you, if the list needs modification *anyway*, is there something
>> wrong with using ArizonaPUG@postgresql.org?
>
> That seems a reasonable compromise.

yeah - I don't think we should use azpug@ for arizona and shadow an
entire country so I would thing that arizonapug@ seems like a sensible
alternative

Stefan

Re: azpug@postgresql.org

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 02/12/2013 11:19 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> Mind you, if the list needs modification *anyway*, is there something
> >> wrong with using ArizonaPUG@postgresql.org?
> >
> > That seems a reasonable compromise.
>
> yeah - I don't think we should use azpug@ for arizona and shadow an
> entire country so I would thing that arizonapug@ seems like a sensible
> alternative

And how about US-Ariz-pug?  The ISO code for Arizona is US-AZ; we could
do that too.

I want something that has gotten at least *some* discussion, thought,
and agreement, not the first thing that crosses our minds.  It's a name
that we're going to be stuck with for a long time, because it's damn
hard to change list names.  I note none of the guys from AZ have
actually said anything.

Re: azpug@postgresql.org

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 02/14/2013 10:10 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>>> That seems a reasonable compromise.
>>
>> yeah - I don't think we should use azpug@ for arizona and shadow an
>> entire country so I would thing that arizonapug@ seems like a sensible
>> alternative
>
> And how about US-Ariz-pug?  The ISO code for Arizona is US-AZ; we could
> do that too.

no problem with that one either - mostly concerned about polluting the
main ISO country code "space" further (as in azpug@)

> I want something that has gotten at least *some* discussion, thought,
> and agreement, not the first thing that crosses our minds.  It's a name
> that we're going to be stuck with for a long time, because it's damn
> hard to change list names.  I note none of the guys from AZ have
> actually said anything.

yeah - getting feedback from the actual "users" of that list would be
much appreciated

Stefan

Re: azpug@postgresql.org

From
Josh Kupershmidt
Date:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> yeah - getting feedback from the actual "users" of that list would be
> much appreciated

Well, I liked "azpug@" myself, since we refer to ourselves as the AZ
PUG. If that's no good, I liked "ArizonaPUG@" as a close second.

Josh