Proposed changes to security.html

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

I'd like to make two changes to the security.html page:

1) change all references from "contrib modules" to "extensions".  Put a
note on the bottom of the page explaining that they are the same thing.

2) create a second page, security-old.html.  This page would archive the
references to security issues patched on versions no longer under
support (i.e. 8.2 and earlier).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Proposed changes to security.html

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'd like to make two changes to the security.html page:
>
> 1) change all references from "contrib modules" to "extensions".  Put a
> note on the bottom of the page explaining that they are the same thing.
>
> 2) create a second page, security-old.html.  This page would archive the
> references to security issues patched on versions no longer under
> support (i.e. 8.2 and earlier).

No objection here.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Proposed changes to security.html

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> I'd like to make two changes to the security.html page:

> 1) change all references from "contrib modules" to "extensions".  Put a
> note on the bottom of the page explaining that they are the same thing.

> 2) create a second page, security-old.html.  This page would archive the
> references to security issues patched on versions no longer under
> support (i.e. 8.2 and earlier).

At this point, shouldn't 8.3 also go to the "old" page?
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> At this point, shouldn't 8.3 also go to the "old" page?

*After* the next update release, yes.   I was figuring I'd wait for a
couple weeks after that, and then archive it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Proposed changes to security.html

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:57 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> At this point, shouldn't 8.3 also go to the "old" page?
>
> *After* the next update release, yes.   I was figuring I'd wait for a
> couple weeks after that, and then archive it.

Yeah, seems reasonable to keep it around for a while.

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Proposed changes to security.html

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 02/06/2013 09:01 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'd like to make two changes to the security.html page:
>
> 1) change all references from "contrib modules" to "extensions".  Put a
> note on the bottom of the page explaining that they are the same thing.
>
> 2) create a second page, security-old.html.  This page would archive the
> references to security issues patched on versions no longer under
> support (i.e. 8.2 and earlier).

+1 one on both - do you have a proposed wording or even better a patch
for those changes?

Stefan

Date:
On 02/14/2013 12:58 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 02/06/2013 09:01 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I'd like to make two changes to the security.html page:
>>
>> 1) change all references from "contrib modules" to "extensions".  Put a
>> note on the bottom of the page explaining that they are the same thing.
>>
>> 2) create a second page, security-old.html.  This page would archive the
>> references to security issues patched on versions no longer under
>> support (i.e. 8.2 and earlier).
>
> +1 one on both - do you have a proposed wording or even better a patch
> for those changes?

I'll submit a patch.  I've just been kind of busy.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Proposed changes to security.html

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 2/6/13 3:01 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'd like to make two changes to the security.html page:
>
> 1) change all references from "contrib modules" to "extensions".  Put a
> note on the bottom of the page explaining that they are the same thing.

What would be the point of that, other than introducing the use of less
accurate language?

Date:
> What would be the point of that, other than introducing the use of less
> accurate language?

Oh, right, we have some contrib modules which are not extensions.
However, the term "contrib" is confusing and not very helpful.  Maybe I
should use the term "Additional Supplied Modules" (shorthand "modules"),
which is what we use in the docs?

--

Date:
On Fri, 2013-03-01 at 16:22 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > What would be the point of that, other than introducing the use of less
> > accurate language?
>
> Oh, right, we have some contrib modules which are not extensions.
> However, the term "contrib" is confusing and not very helpful.  Maybe I
> should use the term "Additional Supplied Modules" (shorthand "modules"),
> which is what we use in the docs?

That might be worthwhile consideration for introductory or marketing
material, say, but for the purpose of tracking security issues,
"contrib" is perfectly clear: If you are installing from source, it is
code that lives under contrib/.  If you are installing from binary, it
is code that is in the postgresql-contrib package (usually).  Calling it
anything other than "contrib" cannot possibly make that more clear.

Date:
> That might be worthwhile consideration for introductory or marketing
> material, say, but for the purpose of tracking security issues,
> "contrib" is perfectly clear: If you are installing from source, it is
> code that lives under contrib/.  If you are installing from binary, it
> is code that is in the postgresql-contrib package (usually).  Calling it
> anything other than "contrib" cannot possibly make that more clear.

Yeah, I suppose the security page is not the place to address this.  We
have a larger project problem in using three different bits of
terminology for mostly the same set of software.  We can fix the
security page once we fix the terminology in general.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.