favicon for wiki site

From
Jeff Janes
Date:
Currently the postgresql wiki site lacks a favicon
(http://wiki.postgresql.org/favicon.ico)

With multi-tabbed browsers, the favicon is very handy for finding the
desired page when it is already open.

If there is no icon specifically for wiki.postgresql.org, would the
one from http://www.postgresql.org/favicon.ico be used?  I think that
that option is better than not having one at all.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: favicon for wiki site

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 10/26/2012 03:23 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
> Currently the postgresql wiki site lacks a favicon
> (http://wiki.postgresql.org/favicon.ico)

pretty sure we had one at a time and it got lost during some upgrade...

> With multi-tabbed browsers, the favicon is very handy for finding the
> desired page when it is already open.

agreed

> If there is no icon specifically for wiki.postgresql.org, would the
> one from http://www.postgresql.org/favicon.ico be used?  I think that
> that option is better than not having one at all.

hmm yeah - on the other side you would not be able to differentiate
between the main website and the wiki in that case any more...
Any objections to using this or is anybody motivated enough to create a
wiki-specific one?

Stefan

Re: favicon for wiki site

From
Brendan Jurd
Date:
On 26 October 2012 20:40, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> On 10/26/2012 03:23 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
>> Currently the postgresql wiki site lacks a favicon
>> (http://wiki.postgresql.org/favicon.ico)
>

>> If there is no icon specifically for wiki.postgresql.org, would the
>> one from http://www.postgresql.org/favicon.ico be used?  I think that
>> that option is better than not having one at all.
>
> hmm yeah - on the other side you would not be able to differentiate
> between the main website and the wiki in that case any more...
> Any objections to using this or is anybody motivated enough to create a
> wiki-specific one?

I'd say just use the main site favicon.  I don't imagine that
differentiating the main site from the wiki is going to be a serious
issue for many people.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: favicon for wiki site

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner escribió:
> On 10/26/2012 03:23 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:

> > If there is no icon specifically for wiki.postgresql.org, would the
> > one from http://www.postgresql.org/favicon.ico be used?  I think that
> > that option is better than not having one at all.
>
> hmm yeah - on the other side you would not be able to differentiate
> between the main website and the wiki in that case any more...
> Any objections to using this or is anybody motivated enough to create a
> wiki-specific one?

Besides, with so many people complaining about the poor SEO ranking of
the wiki, perhaps we should consider merging the namespaces (so
www.postgresql.org/wiki) in which case a different favicon would be
lost.