Out-of-policy Planet post?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
WWW,

"8 New Oracle compatibility features in EnterpriseDB PPAS 9.2 Beta"

Last I checked, the end result of discussion on this list was that no
blogging about proprietary forks of PostgreSQL was permitted on Planet.It's a policy I disagreed with, but if that's
ourpolicy, we should

follow it.

Since Ras seems to be a new blogger, someone from WWW should just inform
him of the policy and remove the post.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Out-of-policy Planet post?

Date:
On Mon, Oct  8, 2012 at 11:14:53AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW,
>
> "8 New Oracle compatibility features in EnterpriseDB PPAS 9.2 Beta"
>
> Last I checked, the end result of discussion on this list was that no
> blogging about proprietary forks of PostgreSQL was permitted on Planet.
>  It's a policy I disagreed with, but if that's our policy, we should
> follow it.
>
> Since Ras seems to be a new blogger, someone from WWW should just inform
> him of the policy and remove the post.

Yes, I assumed someone had already done that, so I didn't say anything,
but I agree.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Out-of-policy Planet post?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct  8, 2012 at 11:14:53AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> WWW,
>>
>> "8 New Oracle compatibility features in EnterpriseDB PPAS 9.2 Beta"
>>
>> Last I checked, the end result of discussion on this list was that no
>> blogging about proprietary forks of PostgreSQL was permitted on Planet.
>>  It's a policy I disagreed with, but if that's our policy, we should
>> follow it.
>>
>> Since Ras seems to be a new blogger, someone from WWW should just inform
>> him of the policy and remove the post.
>
> Yes, I assumed someone had already done that, so I didn't say anything,
> but I agree.

Does it actually violate the policy though? It's pretty darn vague...
I agree it's very much a borderline so somebody should probably send
him a warning about it, but I'm not sure it's actually a strict
violation?

Re: Out-of-policy Planet post?

Date:
On Mon, Oct  8, 2012 at 08:57:02PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct  8, 2012 at 11:14:53AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> WWW,
> >>
> >> "8 New Oracle compatibility features in EnterpriseDB PPAS 9.2 Beta"
> >>
> >> Last I checked, the end result of discussion on this list was that no
> >> blogging about proprietary forks of PostgreSQL was permitted on Planet.
> >>  It's a policy I disagreed with, but if that's our policy, we should
> >> follow it.
> >>
> >> Since Ras seems to be a new blogger, someone from WWW should just inform
> >> him of the policy and remove the post.
> >
> > Yes, I assumed someone had already done that, so I didn't say anything,
> > but I agree.
>
> Does it actually violate the policy though? It's pretty darn vague...
> I agree it's very much a borderline so somebody should probably send
> him a warning about it, but I'm not sure it's actually a strict
> violation?

Would the post be interesting to anyone not using the EDB commercial
product?  I didn't think it would be.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Out-of-policy Planet post?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct  8, 2012 at 08:57:02PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> > Yes, I assumed someone had already done that, so I didn't say anything,
>> > but I agree.
>>
>> Does it actually violate the policy though? It's pretty darn vague...
>> I agree it's very much a borderline so somebody should probably send
>> him a warning about it, but I'm not sure it's actually a strict
>> violation?
>
> Would the post be interesting to anyone not using the EDB commercial
> product?  I didn't think it would be.

Well, the policy says "All blogs should be about PostgreSQL or closely
related technologies.". Which it kind of is, no? And it's not
advertising, I think.

Though I guess it might qualify as an ad, yes.

I've hidden the post for now. Can someone write up a nice explanation
to the author on why?

Re: Out-of-policy Planet post?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> I've hidden the post for now. Can someone write up a nice explanation
> to the author on why?

Suggested text:

=====================

According to the policy at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Planet_PostgreSQL, it is not permissable
to post blogs to Planet which cover only a proprietary fork of
PostgreSQL, and are not relevant to open source PostgreSQL.   As such,
your post has been removed from Planet.

Your post discussed only features of PPAS which are not available in
open source Postgres. As a way of judging whether your post is
appropriate in the future, read the FAQ item "What constitutes an
advertisement?".

=====================

FWIW, I think that that wiki page does not make it clear enough what's
permissable for forks and commercial services, especially for a
non-english-speaker.  I'd like to try editing it; permission to do so?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Out-of-policy Planet post?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 10/10/12 11:19 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> FWIW, I think that that wiki page does not make it clear enough what's
> permissable for forks and commercial services, especially for a
> non-english-speaker.  I'd like to try editing it; permission to do so?

Anyone?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Out-of-policy Planet post?

Date:
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 02:18:09PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 10/10/12 11:19 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > FWIW, I think that that wiki page does not make it clear enough what's
> > permissable for forks and commercial services, especially for a
> > non-english-speaker.  I'd like to try editing it; permission to do so?
>
> Anyone?

Sure, go for it!

http://enterprisedb.com