Commitfest website certificate

Date:
I am seeing an error connecting to:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/

Firefox is saying:
This Connection is Untrusted
You have asked Firefox to connect securely to commitfest.postgresql.org,but we can't confirm that your connection is
secure.
_
It started happening when I removed my Firefox preferences directory.
Is this normal?  Does this site need an exception?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Commitfest website certificate

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 19:30, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I am seeing an error connecting to:
>
>        https://commitfest.postgresql.org/
>
> Firefox is saying:
>
>        This Connection is Untrusted
>
>        You have asked Firefox to connect securely to commitfest.postgresql.org,
>        but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
> _
> It started happening when I removed my Firefox preferences directory.
> Is this normal?  Does this site need an exception?

It should not. Maybe someone is hacking your connection ;)

It should be running with the same certificate as e.g.
www.postgresql.org, which is a wildcard cert for *.postgresql.org
valid until 2016. sha-256 fingerprint is:
5D 19 8E 15 76 4F F4 0E 3E B0 0E B0 F4 2D 12 1B 93 CB 28 32 4D 39 5E
8B DB 47 3D 2A 1B E9 54 35

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Commitfest website certificate

Date:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 07:34:49PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 19:30, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > I am seeing an error connecting to:
> >
> >        https://commitfest.postgresql.org/
> >
> > Firefox is saying:
> >
> >        This Connection is Untrusted
> >
> >        You have asked Firefox to connect securely to commitfest.postgresql.org,
> >        but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
> > _
> > It started happening when I removed my Firefox preferences directory.
> > Is this normal?  Does this site need an exception?
>
> It should not. Maybe someone is hacking your connection ;)
>
> It should be running with the same certificate as e.g.
> www.postgresql.org, which is a wildcard cert for *.postgresql.org
> valid until 2016. sha-256 fingerprint is:
> 5D 19 8E 15 76 4F F4 0E 3E B0 0E B0 F4 2D 12 1B 93 CB 28 32 4D 39 5E
> 8B DB 47 3D 2A 1B E9 54 35

Well, though I am not home, I have seen this failure from two different
wireless networks.  Here are the technical details:
Technical Details       commitfest.postgresql.org uses an invalid security certificate.The certificate is not trusted
becauseno issuer chain was provided.(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

This is with Firefox 11 on Ubuntu.  Does this help?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Commitfest website certificate

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 04/18/2012 07:39 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 07:34:49PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 19:30, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>> I am seeing an error connecting to:
>>>
>>>        https://commitfest.postgresql.org/
>>>
>>> Firefox is saying:
>>>
>>>        This Connection is Untrusted
>>>
>>>        You have asked Firefox to connect securely to commitfest.postgresql.org,
>>>        but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
>>> _
>>> It started happening when I removed my Firefox preferences directory.
>>> Is this normal?  Does this site need an exception?
>>
>> It should not. Maybe someone is hacking your connection ;)
>>
>> It should be running with the same certificate as e.g.
>> www.postgresql.org, which is a wildcard cert for *.postgresql.org
>> valid until 2016. sha-256 fingerprint is:
>> 5D 19 8E 15 76 4F F4 0E 3E B0 0E B0 F4 2D 12 1B 93 CB 28 32 4D 39 5E
>> 8B DB 47 3D 2A 1B E9 54 35
>
> Well, though I am not home, I have seen this failure from two different
> wireless networks.  Here are the technical details:
>
>     Technical Details
>         commitfest.postgresql.org uses an invalid security certificate.
>
>     The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.
>
>     (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
>
> This is with Firefox 11 on Ubuntu.  Does this help?

Just to test a theory - do you get the same error if you connect to
https://meldrar.postgresql.org?

Stefan

Re: Commitfest website certificate

Date:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 07:49:08PM +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 04/18/2012 07:39 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >> It should not. Maybe someone is hacking your connection ;)
> >>
> >> It should be running with the same certificate as e.g.
> >> www.postgresql.org, which is a wildcard cert for *.postgresql.org
> >> valid until 2016. sha-256 fingerprint is:
> >> 5D 19 8E 15 76 4F F4 0E 3E B0 0E B0 F4 2D 12 1B 93 CB 28 32 4D 39 5E
> >> 8B DB 47 3D 2A 1B E9 54 35
> >
> > Well, though I am not home, I have seen this failure from two different
> > wireless networks.  Here are the technical details:
> >
> >     Technical Details
> >         commitfest.postgresql.org uses an invalid security certificate.
> >
> >     The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.
> >
> >     (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
> >
> > This is with Firefox 11 on Ubuntu.  Does this help?
>
> Just to test a theory - do you get the same error if you connect to
> https://meldrar.postgresql.org?

Yes.  Technical details are the same too:
 Technical Details         meldrar.postgresql.org uses an invalid security certificate.

Date:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 01:52:27PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Just to test a theory - do you get the same error if you connect to
> > https://meldrar.postgresql.org?
>
> Yes.  Technical details are the same too:
>
>   Technical Details
>           meldrar.postgresql.org uses an invalid security certificate.
>
>   The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.
>
>   (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

Here is someone having a similar error on Firefox 11:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/923163

Date:
On 04/18/2012 07:58 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 01:52:27PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Just to test a theory - do you get the same error if you connect to
>>> https://meldrar.postgresql.org?
>>
>> Yes.  Technical details are the same too:
>>
>>   Technical Details
>>           meldrar.postgresql.org uses an invalid security certificate.
>>
>>   The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.
>>
>>   (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
>
> Here is someone having a similar error on Firefox 11:
>
>     http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/923163

yeah if you are NOT getting the error on https://www.postgresql.org we
have identified the issue(it is affecting most of our ssl enabled sites
running lighttpd) as some sort of viral(...) copy&paste fail - will be
fixed soon...

Stefan

Re: Commitfest website certificate

Date:

I get no error for https://www.postgresql.org.

> running lighttpd) as some sort of viral(...) copy&paste fail - will be
> fixed soon...

Thanks.  You might be able to reproduce it by renaming ~/.mozilla to
another name, starting Firefox 11, and going to the problem URL.

Date:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 08:18:04PM +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> >> Yes.  Technical details are the same too:
> >>
> >>   Technical Details
> >>           meldrar.postgresql.org uses an invalid security certificate.
> >>
> >>   The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.
> >>
> >>   (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
> >
> > Here is someone having a similar error on Firefox 11:
> >
> >     http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/923163
>
> yeah if you are NOT getting the error on https://www.postgresql.org we
> have identified the issue(it is affecting most of our ssl enabled sites
> running lighttpd) as some sort of viral(...) copy&paste fail - will be
> fixed soon...

I can confirm that is now fixed!  Thanks.

Date:
On 04/18/2012 08:54 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 08:18:04PM +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>>> Here is someone having a similar error on Firefox 11:
>>>
>>>     http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/923163
>>
>> yeah if you are NOT getting the error on https://www.postgresql.org we
>> have identified the issue(it is affecting most of our ssl enabled sites
>> running lighttpd) as some sort of viral(...) copy&paste fail - will be
>> fixed soon...
>
> I can confirm that is now fixed!  Thanks.

heh it was not actually fixed the moment you sent the mail, it "looked"
like it was fixed to you because your client probably cached the
intermediate certs the time you hit www.postgresql.org...

Stefan

Date:
On 04/18/2012 08:53 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 08:18:04PM +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>>> Here is someone having a similar error on Firefox 11:
>>>
>>>     http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/923163
>>
>> yeah if you are NOT getting the error on https://www.postgresql.org we
>> have identified the issue(it is affecting most of our ssl enabled sites
>
> I get no error for https://www.postgresql.org.
>
>> running lighttpd) as some sort of viral(...) copy&paste fail - will be
>> fixed soon...
>
> Thanks.  You might be able to reproduce it by renaming ~/.mozilla to
> another name, starting Firefox 11, and going to the problem URL.

much easier to test using something like:

openssl s_client -connect commitfest.postgresql.org:443

no need to cripple your FF install :)

Stefan

Re: Commitfest website certificate

Date:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 09:16:21PM +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 04/18/2012 08:54 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >> yeah if you are NOT getting the error on https://www.postgresql.org we
> >> have identified the issue(it is affecting most of our ssl enabled sites
> >> running lighttpd) as some sort of viral(...) copy&paste fail - will be
> >> fixed soon...
> >
> > I can confirm that is now fixed!  Thanks.
>
> heh it was not actually fixed the moment you sent the mail, it "looked"
> like it was fixed to you because your client probably cached the
> intermediate certs the time you hit www.postgresql.org...

Oh, good point.

http://enterprisedb.com