Re: Links to binaries in news item

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 12/5/11 6:17 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> I noticed that we have a link to "Binary Packages" in the news item, but
> it only points to Solaris packages. As you know, we are no longer
> uploading RPMs to FTP site.
>
> So, given that we already give link to main download area, we can either
> remove that link, or add "Linux packages:" or such link, so
> that .rpm, .deb and other users can go to the right page.
>
> What do you think?

I think you're right, we should probably change the list of links we
supply.  However, give our current directory structure, I'm at a loss on
how to supply a set of links which shows all the platforms we support
without it being more than a 6-item list.   Thoughts?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Links to binaries in news item

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
2011/12/5 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
> On 12/5/11 6:17 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>>
>> Hi Josh,
>>
>> I noticed that we have a link to "Binary Packages" in the news item, but
>> it only points to Solaris packages. As you know, we are no longer
>> uploading RPMs to FTP site.
>>
>> So, given that we already give link to main download area, we can either
>> remove that link, or add "Linux packages:" or such link, so
>> that .rpm, .deb and other users can go to the right page.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I think you're right, we should probably change the list of links we
> supply.  However, give our current directory structure, I'm at a loss on
> how to supply a set of links which shows all the platforms we support
> without it being more than a 6-item list.   Thoughts?

We already link to the download page. Why do we need another link in
the first place? Seems the "remove" one seems reasonable? Maybe just a
clarification that the main download page contains binaries?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Date:
> We already link to the download page. Why do we need another link in
> the first place? Seems the "remove" one seems reasonable? Maybe just a
> clarification that the main download page contains binaries?

Yeah, I tried linking just to the downloads page for a while, but some
users took that as a sign that we were no longer supporting platform X
(whatever they were using).  So, suggested language?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Date:
2011/12/6 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:

>> We already link to the download page. Why do we need another link in
>> the first place? Seems the "remove" one seems reasonable? Maybe just a
>> clarification that the main download page contains binaries?
>
> Yeah, I tried linking just to the downloads page for a while, but some
> users took that as a sign that we were no longer supporting platform X
> (whatever they were using).  So, suggested language?

From what? Are they saying the download page is so bad we don't include it?

Is there any reason we don't *just* link to the download page? If it's
not easy enough to get from the download page to what people want to
download, then we need to fix the download page, not the announcement.