Approval of announce posts

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Approval of announce posts

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 08:31:44PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> > Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Your message to phpPgAdmin-devel awaits moderator approval
> > Your mail to 'phpPgAdmin-devel' with the subject
>
> Would the person approving these please stop?
>
> If they are not being approved, we have a breakdown in the system.
> I'm pretty sure someone is approving them, however.

Sorry about that.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Approval of announce posts

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
> If they are not being approved, we have a breakdown in the system.
> I'm pretty sure someone is approving them, however.

Someone is again approving announce posts that shouldn't be approved.
We don't need to broadcast a discussion of which events will be
recorded and how to get a visa to our entire readership.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
>> If they are not being approved, we have a breakdown in the system.
>> I'm pretty sure someone is approving them, however.
>
> Someone is again approving announce posts that shouldn't be approved.
> We don't need to broadcast a discussion of which events will be
> recorded and how to get a visa to our entire readership.

And someone just approved another one of this type...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Approval of announce posts

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 02:57, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
>>> If they are not being approved, we have a breakdown in the system.
>>> I'm pretty sure someone is approving them, however.
>>
>> Someone is again approving announce posts that shouldn't be approved.
>> We don't need to broadcast a discussion of which events will be
>> recorded and how to get a visa to our entire readership.
>
> And someone just approved another one of this type...

I don't want to find out who did this in order to go pointing fingers,
but I *would* like to know who/where this comes from in case there is
an actual bug in mj2 that means this wasn't actually somebody actively
approving it.

Marc, is there any way to get a log from mj2 of who performs what
moderation/admin operations?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Approval of announce posts

Date:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Someone is again approving announce posts that shouldn't be approved.
>> We don't need to broadcast a discussion of which events will be
>> recorded and how to get a visa to our entire readership.

> And someone just approved another one of this type...

I haven't seen anyone confess to ill-considered approvals.  Is it
possible there's a bug that's letting some things slide through
unapproved?
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Someone is again approving announce posts that shouldn't be approved.
>>> We don't need to broadcast a discussion of which events will be
>>> recorded and how to get a visa to our entire readership.
>
>> And someone just approved another one of this type...
>
> I haven't seen anyone confess to ill-considered approvals.  Is it
> possible there's a bug that's letting some things slide through
> unapproved?

I think it's more likely that there's a bug that's letting some
carelessness slide through unconfessed, but as Magnus said, we really
need to log somewhere what actions have been taken by which moderators
so that we can respond in a little bit more informed way to problems
in this area.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Approval of announce posts

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of lun ene 17 17:31:42 -0300 2011:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> And someone just approved another one of this type...
> >
> > I haven't seen anyone confess to ill-considered approvals.  Is it
> > possible there's a bug that's letting some things slide through
> > unapproved?
>
> I think it's more likely that there's a bug that's letting some
> carelessness slide through unconfessed, but as Magnus said, we really
> need to log somewhere what actions have been taken by which moderators
> so that we can respond in a little bit more informed way to problems
> in this area.

Since the posts are CCed to more than one list, maybe it's being
approved on (say) pgsql-general and this makes the system approve the
pgsql-announce one as well.

The other theory is that you guys are all confused and you're seeing the
copy in pgsql-general thinking that it's broadcast to -announce when
it's not.  My web access ATM is totally broken so I cannot figure
whether this is true.

Re: Approval of announce posts

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 21:47, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of lun ene 17 17:31:42 -0300 2011:

>> > I haven't seen anyone confess to ill-considered approvals.  Is it
>> > possible there's a bug that's letting some things slide through
>> > unapproved?
>>
>> I think it's more likely that there's a bug that's letting some
>> carelessness slide through unconfessed, but as Magnus said, we really
>> need to log somewhere what actions have been taken by which moderators
>> so that we can respond in a little bit more informed way to problems
>> in this area.
>
> Since the posts are CCed to more than one list, maybe it's being
> approved on (say) pgsql-general and this makes the system approve the
> pgsql-announce one as well.
>
> The other theory is that you guys are all confused and you're seeing the
> copy in pgsql-general thinking that it's broadcast to -announce when
> it's not.  My web access ATM is totally broken so I cannot figure
> whether this is true.

Several went through on -announce, according to
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/2011-01/index.php. So
it's not that simple.

--

Date:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 21:47, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> The other theory is that you guys are all confused and you're seeing the
>> copy in pgsql-general thinking that it's broadcast to -announce when
>> it's not. �My web access ATM is totally broken so I cannot figure
>> whether this is true.

> Several went through on -announce, according to
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/2011-01/index.php. So
> it's not that simple.

Most of the recent cases appear to be cross-posted to pgsql-general and
pgsql-es-ayuda, so something involving an approval for one of those
other lists might well be the explanation.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 07:49:08AM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 02:57, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Someone is again approving announce posts that shouldn't be approved.
> >> We don't need to broadcast a discussion of which events will be
> >> recorded and how to get a visa to our entire readership.
> >
> > And someone just approved another one of this type...
>
> I don't want to find out who did this in order to go pointing fingers,
> but I *would* like to know who/where this comes from in case there is
> an actual bug in mj2 that means this wasn't actually somebody actively
> approving it.
>
> Marc, is there any way to get a log from mj2 of who performs what
> moderation/admin operations?

It was me.  Sorry.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Approval of announce posts

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Am checking into this ... majordomo does have a 'report' command, but even
iwth 'report-full', it doesn't seem to give any information beyond how
long a posting was 'stalled' waiting for moderation ...

Am checking with the dev list to see if there is another command I should
be looking at that gives more info then the report command though ...

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 02:57, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Someone is again approving announce posts that shouldn't be approved.
>>> We don't need to broadcast a discussion of which events will be
>>> recorded and how to get a visa to our entire readership.
>>
>> And someone just approved another one of this type...
>

> I don't want to find out who did this in order to go pointing fingers,
> but I *would* like to know who/where this comes from in case there is
> an actual bug in mj2 that means this wasn't actually somebody actively
> approving it.
>
> Marc, is there any way to get a log from mj2 of who performs what
> moderation/admin operations?
>

> --
>  Magnus Hagander
>  Me: http://www.hagander.net/
>  Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org