EOL announcement

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
It is now August which means we are now forever removed from the
shackles of 7.4 and 8.0.

May I suggest that we send out one last reminder to people stating that
they are now EOL.

JD
--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: EOL announcement

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 11:20 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> May I suggest that we send out one last reminder to people stating
> that they are now EOL.

I thought we would announce a "final" release before EOL'ing them. Am I
wrong?

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: EOL announcement

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 21:20 +0300, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 11:20 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> > May I suggest that we send out one last reminder to people stating
> > that they are now EOL.
>
> I thought we would announce a "final" release before EOL'ing them. Am I
> wrong?

No idea but the website says, they are dead as of July 31.

--

Date:
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 21:20 +0300, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 11:20 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> > May I suggest that we send out one last reminder to people stating
> > that they are now EOL.
>
> I thought we would announce a "final" release before EOL'ing them. Am I
> wrong?

Speaking of which we need to update the website and remove 8.0.

--

Date:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> writes:
> On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 11:20 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> May I suggest that we send out one last reminder to people stating
>> that they are now EOL.

> I thought we would announce a "final" release before EOL'ing them. Am I
> wrong?

No, you're not.  We haven't spent the last three months back-patching
them in order to just suddenly drop that work.
        regards, tom lane

Re: EOL announcement

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 08/02/2010 11:30 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ<devrim@gunduz.org>  writes:
>> On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 11:20 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> May I suggest that we send out one last reminder to people stating
>>> that they are now EOL.
>
>> I thought we would announce a "final" release before EOL'ing them. Am I
>> wrong?
>
> No, you're not.  We haven't spent the last three months back-patching
> them in order to just suddenly drop that work.

Yes, the final EOL is in the next patch release announcement.  Given
that several people involved in packaging are now on vacation, though, I
don't know when that will be ... 3 weeks?

--                                   -- Josh Berkus                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                           http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: EOL announcement

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 11:45 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Given  that several people involved in packaging are now on vacation,
> though, I don't know when that will be ... 3 weeks?

FWIW, I am hoping to be on vacation between Aug 15th and Aug 28th. I
will be reading e-mails very frequently, but I think I cannot help
packaging, unless a serious issue is found...

Date:
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 11:45 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 08/02/2010 11:30 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Devrim GÜNDÜZ<devrim@gunduz.org>  writes:
> >
> >> I thought we would announce a "final" release before EOL'ing them. Am I
> >> wrong?
> >
> > No, you're not.  We haven't spent the last three months back-patching
> > them in order to just suddenly drop that work.
>
> Yes, the final EOL is in the next patch release announcement.  Given
> that several people involved in packaging are now on vacation, though, I
> don't know when that will be ... 3 weeks?

O.k. cool. That actually isn't a bad time either cause there are a lot
of people (not just us) on vacation, specifically users.

JD

--

Date:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> writes:
> On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 11:45 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Given  that several people involved in packaging are now on vacation,
>> though, I don't know when that will be ... 3 weeks?

> FWIW, I am hoping to be on vacation between Aug 15th and Aug 28th. I
> will be reading e-mails very frequently, but I think I cannot help
> packaging, unless a serious issue is found...

It'd be nice to put out a beta5 or RC1 around mid-month.  I don't see any
near-term reason to wrap back-branch updates, though, unless we find
some spectacularly nasty bug soon.  Given all the people on vacation,
the next set of back-branch updates will more likely be in September.
        regards, tom lane

Re: EOL announcement

From
"Joshua D. Drake"