stable snapshots...

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Hi all!

I just noticed that the tarballs in /pub/snapshot/stable/ on
ftp.postgresql.org were still serving REL8_3_STABLE.
I have now fixed the script generating them but I wonder if we should
start naming the directory in a more sensible way (like
/pub/snapshot/stable/8.3 and /pub/snapshot/stable/8.4,...) and also
provide stable tarballs for more than just the latest version.

comments?

Stefan

Re: stable snapshots...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I just noticed that the tarballs in /pub/snapshot/stable/ on
> ftp.postgresql.org were still serving REL8_3_STABLE.
> I have now fixed the script generating them but I wonder if we should start
> naming the directory in a more sensible way (like /pub/snapshot/stable/8.3
> and /pub/snapshot/stable/8.4,...) and also provide stable tarballs for more
> than just the latest version.
>
> comments?

Not sure about the usefulness of the extra stable tarballs ... doesn't
most of the back patching happen just as we are about to release the new
versions?  so the 'snapshot' will get a timestamp update, but no changes?

----

Re: stable snapshots...

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Not sure about the usefulness of the extra stable tarballs ... doesn't
> most of the back patching happen just as we are about to release the new
> versions?

Not sure where you got that idea.  There are plenty of times when
somebody (mostly Tom) commits a bugfix and tells the reporter, stating
that the release date of the new version is some undetermined point in
the future.  Not everyone is able to grab the patch from CVS and apply
it; my guess is that most people simply wait for the next stable
release.  Those people would benefit from having the older stable
branches, so here's a +1 to Stefan's idea.

This is particularly useful now that we have more than a handful of
supported back branches.

Re: stable snapshots...

Date:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Not sure about the usefulness of the extra stable tarballs ... doesn't
>> most of the back patching happen just as we are about to release the new
>> versions?

> Not sure where you got that idea.  There are plenty of times when
> somebody (mostly Tom) commits a bugfix and tells the reporter, stating
> that the release date of the new version is some undetermined point in
> the future.  Not everyone is able to grab the patch from CVS and apply
> it; my guess is that most people simply wait for the next stable
> release.  Those people would benefit from having the older stable
> branches, so here's a +1 to Stefan's idea.

Yeah.  When we have fixed a bug but not yet released an official version
with the fix, somebody who needs that bug fix has three choices:* manually apply the patch to a recent tarball;* pull
fromCVS;* use a nightly snapshot.

The first two cases require having extra tools like appropriate bison
and flex versions (which right now is looking like a bigger deal than
I would wish :-().

If we can build nightly snapshots for a release or two back without
undue effort, I think it'd be a useful service.
        regards, tom lane

Re: stable snapshots...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> Not sure about the usefulness of the extra stable tarballs ... doesn't
>>> most of the back patching happen just as we are about to release the new
>>> versions?
>
>> Not sure where you got that idea.  There are plenty of times when
>> somebody (mostly Tom) commits a bugfix and tells the reporter, stating
>> that the release date of the new version is some undetermined point in
>> the future.  Not everyone is able to grab the patch from CVS and apply
>> it; my guess is that most people simply wait for the next stable
>> release.  Those people would benefit from having the older stable
>> branches, so here's a +1 to Stefan's idea.
>
> Yeah.  When we have fixed a bug but not yet released an official version
> with the fix, somebody who needs that bug fix has three choices:
>     * manually apply the patch to a recent tarball;
>     * pull from CVS;
>     * use a nightly snapshot.
> The first two cases require having extra tools like appropriate bison
> and flex versions (which right now is looking like a bigger deal than
> I would wish :-().
>
> If we can build nightly snapshots for a release or two back without
> undue effort, I think it'd be a useful service.

Its not a problem to do it, I've just only noticed the 'bulk patches'
close to releases ...

How far do we want to go back?  Straight to what is considered
"supported"?

----

Re: stable snapshots...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Tom Lane wrote:
>> If we can build nightly snapshots for a release or two back without
>> undue effort, I think it'd be a useful service.

> How far do we want to go back?  Straight to what is considered
> "supported"?

Hm, probably not all the way back to 7.4.  The service would only
be useful to people who are willing to build from a source tarball,
and I bet not many of them are still running ancient releases.
I was thinking that doing it for 8.3 and 8.2 would be about right
at the moment.
        regards, tom lane

Re: stable snapshots...

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> Not sure about the usefulness of the extra stable tarballs ... doesn't
>>> most of the back patching happen just as we are about to release the new
>>> versions?
>
>> Not sure where you got that idea.  There are plenty of times when
>> somebody (mostly Tom) commits a bugfix and tells the reporter, stating
>> that the release date of the new version is some undetermined point in
>> the future.  Not everyone is able to grab the patch from CVS and apply
>> it; my guess is that most people simply wait for the next stable
>> release.  Those people would benefit from having the older stable
>> branches, so here's a +1 to Stefan's idea.
>
> Yeah.  When we have fixed a bug but not yet released an official version
> with the fix, somebody who needs that bug fix has three choices:
>     * manually apply the patch to a recent tarball;
>     * pull from CVS;
>     * use a nightly snapshot.
> The first two cases require having extra tools like appropriate bison
> and flex versions (which right now is looking like a bigger deal than
> I would wish :-().

yeah this is exactly what caused me to notice the original problem -
somebody had an issue with 8.4.0 that is fixed in the stable branch
already (the pl/perl locale issue) but was unable to use CVS and/or git
for pulling the code down.
We also should look into making this more automatic or at least document  on the (www-) release TODO list.

> If we can build nightly snapshots for a release or two back without
> undue effort, I think it'd be a useful service.

yeah - having say the last two or three releases available that way
seems like a good thing to do.

Stefan

Re: stable snapshots...

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> Not sure about the usefulness of the extra stable tarballs ... doesn't
>>> most of the back patching happen just as we are about to release the new
>>> versions?
>
>> Not sure where you got that idea.  There are plenty of times when
>> somebody (mostly Tom) commits a bugfix and tells the reporter, stating
>> that the release date of the new version is some undetermined point in
>> the future.  Not everyone is able to grab the patch from CVS and apply
>> it; my guess is that most people simply wait for the next stable
>> release.  Those people would benefit from having the older stable
>> branches, so here's a +1 to Stefan's idea.
>
> Yeah.  When we have fixed a bug but not yet released an official version
> with the fix, somebody who needs that bug fix has three choices:
>     * manually apply the patch to a recent tarball;
>     * pull from CVS;
>     * use a nightly snapshot.
> The first two cases require having extra tools like appropriate bison
> and flex versions (which right now is looking like a bigger deal than
> I would wish :-().

actually nagios just noticed that we managed to break our own -HEAD
snapshot generation with this change as well...
I have now fixed that script(and installed a more modern flex on
developer.postgresql.org) as well but I think we have some more work to
do in order to improve the robustness of those scripts...

Stefan

Re: stable snapshots...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>
>>> Not sure where you got that idea.  There are plenty of times when
>>> somebody (mostly Tom) commits a bugfix and tells the reporter, stating
>>> that the release date of the new version is some undetermined point in
>>> the future.  Not everyone is able to grab the patch from CVS and apply
>>> it; my guess is that most people simply wait for the next stable
>>> release.  Those people would benefit from having the older stable
>>> branches, so here's a +1 to Stefan's idea.
>>
>> Yeah.  When we have fixed a bug but not yet released an official version
>> with the fix, somebody who needs that bug fix has three choices:
>>     * manually apply the patch to a recent tarball;
>>     * pull from CVS;
>>     * use a nightly snapshot.
>> The first two cases require having extra tools like appropriate bison
>> and flex versions (which right now is looking like a bigger deal than
>> I would wish :-().
>
> actually nagios just noticed that we managed to break our own -HEAD snapshot
> generation with this change as well...
> I have now fixed that script(and installed a more modern flex on
> developer.postgresql.org) as well but I think we have some more work to do in
> order to improve the robustness of those scripts...

Ummmmm ... you didn't break things, did you?  Specifically as far as old
builds are concerned??  There is a reason why we have an older flex on
that machine :(  Have you tested the new one you installed against all the
other releases?

----

Re: stable snapshots...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Ummmmm ... you didn't break things, did you?  Specifically as far as old
> builds are concerned??  There is a reason why we have an older flex on
> that machine :(

It should be all right to update svr1 to something more recent.  We know
that flex 2.5.33 or .35 will work for all supported release branches;
people (and the buildfarm in particular) have been testing that for a
long time.
        regards, tom lane

Re: stable snapshots...

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> Ummmmm ... you didn't break things, did you?  Specifically as far as old
>> builds are concerned??  There is a reason why we have an older flex on
>> that machine :(
>
> It should be all right to update svr1 to something more recent.  We know
> that flex 2.5.33 or .35 will work for all supported release branches;
> people (and the buildfarm in particular) have been testing that for a
> long time.

I didn't actually replace the old flex - I just installed a newer one
from ports in addition to the still existing one from the OS. Only the
snapshot generation script for -HEAD got modified to actually look for
that specific flex version.

Stefan

Re: stable snapshots...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"

This is in effect now ... I have it generating 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4 daily ...
let me know if we need any other releases ...

BTW, should we be starting to do .zip source distributions now as well,
for the Windows users?

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> If we can build nightly snapshots for a release or two back without
>>> undue effort, I think it'd be a useful service.
>
>> How far do we want to go back?  Straight to what is considered
>> "supported"?
>
> Hm, probably not all the way back to 7.4.  The service would only
> be useful to people who are willing to build from a source tarball,
> and I bet not many of them are still running ancient releases.
> I was thinking that doing it for 8.3 and 8.2 would be about right
> at the moment.
>
>             regards, tom lane

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: stable snapshots...

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 03:42, Marc G. Fournier<scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> BTW, should we be starting to do .zip source distributions now as well, for
> the Windows users?

Nah, seems unnecessary. If you're trying to set up a postgresql build
environment on windows, installing something like 7zip that can deal
with .tar.gz or .tar.gz2 is the least of your problems. We need the
.zip:s for people who just want the prebuilt binaries, but not for
those who build from source.

-- Magnus HaganderSelf: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/