Pentabarf instance for pgDays?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

SFPUG will soon need to organize a pgDay at OSCON.  We'd like to have a
Pentabarf (www.pentabarf.org) instance somewhere on a PostgreSQL.org
server which we and other UGs could use to organize mini-conferences.

(the Drupal system set up on pugs.postgresql.org isn't worth fixing
according to Selena)

Dan Langille knows the bugaboos of setting this up, and can help with
advice.

We'd want to have the system by April; if that's not going to be
possible on www.postgresql.org, then SFPUG should make other plans, so
say so.

--Josh Berkus

Re: Pentabarf instance for pgDays?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> SFPUG will soon need to organize a pgDay at OSCON.  We'd like to have a
> Pentabarf (www.pentabarf.org) instance somewhere on a PostgreSQL.org
> server which we and other UGs could use to organize mini-conferences.

Should I take the silence on this as a "the WWW group isn't interested
in hosting conference software, figure out something on your own"?

--Josh

Re: Pentabarf instance for pgDays?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> SFPUG will soon need to organize a pgDay at OSCON.  We'd like to have a
>> Pentabarf (www.pentabarf.org) instance somewhere on a PostgreSQL.org server
>> which we and other UGs could use to organize mini-conferences.
>
> Should I take the silence on this as a "the WWW group isn't interested in
> hosting conference software, figure out something on your own"?

This part of the WWW group doesn't have the spare cycles at the
moment, but he does know that another part of the group lost a
not-insignificant amount of hair trying (and failing) to get Pentabarf
working in the past. I think the conclusion was that it was a fairly
hideous and unsupportable piece of software.

--
Dave Page

Re: Pentabarf instance for pgDays?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> SFPUG will soon need to organize a pgDay at OSCON.  We'd like to have
>> a Pentabarf (www.pentabarf.org) instance somewhere on a PostgreSQL.org
>> server which we and other UGs could use to organize mini-conferences.
>
> Should I take the silence on this as a "the WWW group isn't interested
> in hosting conference software, figure out something on your own"?

Meh, I thought I responded to that one. But since I can't find my own
response in sent items, I think I must've forgotten.

Anyway, here's what I was *planning* to say:

In general, that would probably be a good idea. I tried doing that for
the pgday.eu conference last year, and failed miserably at getting it
running *at all*. Another requirement would be to make it integrate with
community logins. IIRC I found some docs on how to do it, but since I
couldn't even get it running *at all*, I didn't get that far.

So. If somebody can get it installed and make it integrate with
community logins, I'm for doing this on a community server. However, I
myself have tried and failed to get it running, so it will have to be
somebody with more knowledge. I'll be happy to help with what I can.

//Magnus

Re: Pentabarf instance for pgDays?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Magnus,

> So. If somebody can get it installed and make it integrate with
> community logins, I'm for doing this on a community server. However, I
> myself have tried and failed to get it running, so it will have to be
> somebody with more knowledge. I'll be happy to help with what I can.

I could get it running, but integration with community logins would be
beyond me; like other single-developer projects, PB code is largely
unreadable (and is Rails to boot).  I can ask Stefan (the PB developer)
if he's willing to help.

If he's *not* willing/able to help, does anyone know another package we
can use?  The Drupal stuff Selena cooked up doesn't integrate with CLs
either, and is about 50 hours of development from being usable.

--Josh

Re: Pentabarf instance for pgDays?

From
"David E. Wheeler"
Date:
On Mar 15, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> If he's *not* willing/able to help, does anyone know another package
> we can use?  The Drupal stuff Selena cooked up doesn't integrate
> with CLs either, and is about 50 hours of development from being
> usable.

What's Dan using for pgcon.org?

Best,

David

Re: Pentabarf instance for pgDays?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 12:53 -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > If he's *not* willing/able to help, does anyone know another package
> > we can use?  The Drupal stuff Selena cooked up doesn't integrate
> > with CLs either, and is about 50 hours of development from being
> > usable.
>
> What's Dan using for pgcon.org?

Pentabarf I believe.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Date:
On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 12:16 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Magnus,
>
> > So. If somebody can get it installed and make it integrate with
> > community logins, I'm for doing this on a community server. However, I
> > myself have tried and failed to get it running, so it will have to be
> > somebody with more knowledge. I'll be happy to help with what I can.
>
> I could get it running, but integration with community logins would be
> beyond me; like other single-developer projects, PB code is largely
> unreadable (and is Rails to boot).  I can ask Stefan (the PB developer)
> if he's willing to help.
>
> If he's *not* willing/able to help, does anyone know another package we
> can use?  The Drupal stuff Selena cooked up doesn't integrate with CLs
> either, and is about 50 hours of development from being usable.

I would note that an easy way to handle this is to do it all through
Google Calendar. There is a module for Drupal that allows you to
integrate with Google Calendar as well.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Pentabarf instance for pgDays?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> I would note that an easy way to handle this is to do it all through
> Google Calendar. There is a module for Drupal that allows you to
> integrate with Google Calendar as well.

Is Google Calendar prepared to handle multiple talk submissions and
voting on them?

--Josh

Date:
On 15 mar 2009, at 20.16, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Magnus,
>
>> So. If somebody can get it installed and make it integrate with
>> community logins, I'm for doing this on a community server.
>> However, I
>> myself have tried and failed to get it running, so it will have to be
>> somebody with more knowledge. I'll be happy to help with what I can.
>
> I could get it running, but integration with community logins would
> be beyond me; like other single-developer projects, PB code is
> largely unreadable (and is Rails to boot).  I can ask Stefan (the PB
> developer) if he's willing to help.

I can be wrong since this was some time ago, but I think I saw some
type of docs - or maybe just a 3rd party blog post - about how to do
it. But it could be some other package.

Either way it's important it is/can be done in a maintainable way. So
we can keep up with security fixed etc.

> If he's *not* willing/able to help, does anyone know another package
> we can use?  The Drupal stuff Selena cooked up doesn't integrate
> with CLs either, and is about 50 hours of development from being
> usable.

There is a login integration plugin for drupal. I wrote one for back
before we gave up on drupal for the eu site. It may be version
dependent but not much I think...

Can't comment about the rest of the package she worked on since I
haven't seen it :)

/Magnus

Re: Pentabarf instance for pgDays?

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
How is the auth setup currently?  I can ask some RoR people I know.

Date:
On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 14:38 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > I would note that an easy way to handle this is to do it all through
> > Google Calendar. There is a module for Drupal that allows you to
> > integrate with Google Calendar as well.
>
> Is Google Calendar prepared to handle multiple talk submissions and
> voting on them?

I think you know the answer to that. You didn't specify that voting was
one of your requirements (or I didn't see it). Anyway, I am pretty sure
Drupal is the closest you are going to get to what you want.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Pentabarf instance for pgDays?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Sunday 15 March 2009 21:16:33 Josh Berkus wrote:
> I could get it running, but integration with community logins would be
> beyond me; like other single-developer projects, PB code is largely
> unreadable (and is Rails to boot).  I can ask Stefan (the PB developer)
> if he's willing to help.

The alternative is to ask for help from other *users* of Pentabarf.  For
example, the Debconf people.

> If he's *not* willing/able to help, does anyone know another package we
> can use?  The Drupal stuff Selena cooked up doesn't integrate with CLs
> either, and is about 50 hours of development from being usable.

I think you will find that Pentabarf plus some work of your own is the best
solution out there, versus something else plus a lot more work, with uncertain
outcome.

Date:
>> If he's *not* willing/able to help, does anyone know another
>> package we
>> can use?  The Drupal stuff Selena cooked up doesn't integrate with
>> CLs
>> either, and is about 50 hours of development from being usable.
>
> I think you will find that Pentabarf plus some work of your own is
> the best
> solution out there, versus something else plus a lot more work, with
> uncertain
> outcome.

Agreed. Hopefully there is at least some isolation of where you need
to modify things.

If not, many such systems can be tricked by using rules in the
database. But that's really a last resort kind if thing.

/Magnus