Can we please NOT approve "sale" announcements as news?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Web team,

Can we please not approve stuff like this?

"20% New Year Discount for all Navicat PostgreSQL GUI"

That's in pure violation to our news policies.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL

Re: Can we please NOT approve "sale" announcements as news?

From
Guido Barosio
Date:
/* forgot to cc all, sorry */

Josh,
     Just in case, seems it has already been removed from wwwmaster.

For the record:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval

Quote: "Other types of announcements, including minor releases,
<neep>pricing changes</neep>, leadership changes, 3rd-party news
coverage and mergers & acquisitions will be rejected. "

gb.-

Date:
>       Just in case, seems it has already been removed from wwwmaster.

yes, I removed it.

> For the record:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval
>
> Quote: "Other types of announcements, including minor releases,
> <neep>pricing changes</neep>, leadership changes, 3rd-party news
> coverage and mergers & acquisitions will be rejected. "

Yes.  And despite that, at least one approver seems to be approving
everything which is submitted to News without filtering or
qualification.  I'd really like that person to stop.

--Josh

Re: Can we please NOT approve "sale" announcements as news?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 30 January 2009 18:29:08 Josh Berkus wrote:
> >       Just in case, seems it has already been removed from wwwmaster.
>
> yes, I removed it.
>
> > For the record:
> >
> > http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval
> >
> > Quote: "Other types of announcements, including minor releases,
> > <neep>pricing changes</neep>, leadership changes, 3rd-party news
> > coverage and mergers & acquisitions will be rejected. "
>
> Yes.  And despite that, at least one approver seems to be approving
> everything which is submitted to News without filtering or
> qualification.  I'd really like that person to stop.

Is it time to revist the discussion on website news being closed to any news
that doesn't come from the project itself?

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

Re: Can we please NOT approve "sale" announcements as news?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> Is it time to revist the discussion on website news being closed to any
> news that doesn't come from the project itself?

That seems like going to far.  We have rules on approvals which would prevent
problems, and someone's not following them.  Who has access to news approvals
other than me, you and Guido?

--

Date:
On Saturday 31 January 2009 23:43:31 Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > Is it time to revist the discussion on website news being closed to any
> > news that doesn't come from the project itself?
>
> That seems like going to far.  We have rules on approvals which would
> prevent problems, and someone's not following them.  Who has access to news
> approvals other than me, you and Guido?

Dave, Magnus, I think Stefan and Devrim, possibly a few others.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net
Consulting: http://www.omniti.com

Re: Can we please NOT approve "sale" announcements as news?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Saturday 31 January 2009 23:43:31 Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Robert,
>>
>>> Is it time to revist the discussion on website news being closed to any
>>> news that doesn't come from the project itself?
>> That seems like going to far.  We have rules on approvals which would
>> prevent problems, and someone's not following them.  Who has access to news
>> approvals other than me, you and Guido?
>
> Dave, Magnus, I think Stefan and Devrim, possibly a few others.

Dave, Devrim, Josh, Magnus, Neil, Guido, Jd, Alvaro, Melanie, Nasby, You
and myself.

this particular news seems to got approved by devrim on January 26.
17:38 UTC and deleted by Josh 4 days later.

Stefan

Re: Can we please NOT approve "sale" announcements as news?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Stefan,

> Dave, Devrim, Josh, Magnus, Neil, Guido, Jd, Alvaro, Melanie, Nasby, You
> and myself.

Given that Nasby is no longer terribly active in the community, and Neil
isn't doing advocacy/web stuff, it seems like they shouldn't be on the
wwwmaster-admin list anymore.

> this particular news seems to got approved by devrim on January 26.
> 17:38 UTC and deleted by Josh 4 days later.

So, Devrim?

Can you search on a couple other "sale" notices, and announcments of
betas and 0.1 updates of commercial software and see who approved them?

--Josh

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Stefan,
>
>> Dave, Devrim, Josh, Magnus, Neil, Guido, Jd, Alvaro, Melanie, Nasby,
>> You and myself.
>
> Given that Nasby is no longer terribly active in the community, and Neil
> isn't doing advocacy/web stuff, it seems like they shouldn't be on the
> wwwmaster-admin list anymore.

seems reasonable - not sure why neil was added. Does anybody know?

>> this particular news seems to got approved by devrim on January 26.
>> 17:38 UTC and deleted by Josh 4 days later.
>
> So, Devrim?

added him to the CC list - just in case

> Can you search on a couple other "sale" notices, and announcments of
> betas and 0.1 updates of commercial software and see who approved them?

nope - we only have logs for a week on that particular stuff.

Stefan

Re: Can we please NOT approve "sale" announcements as news?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Can you search on a couple other "sale" notices, and announcments of
>> betas and 0.1 updates of commercial software and see who approved them?
>
> nope - we only have logs for a week on that particular stuff.

That thing used to send emails out when someone approved something. I'm
pretty sure it must've been me who broke that (unless they're all eaten
by a spamfilter or something these days). If somebody has the time to
look that over, that'd be much appreciated. I don't know when I'll have
the time myself.

//Magnus

Re: Can we please NOT approve "sale" announcements as news?

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 11:27 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > this particular news seems to got approved by devrim on January 26.
> > 17:38 UTC and deleted by Josh 4 days later.
>
> So, Devrim?

Yeah, I remember I approved that item -- I probably did not follow the
contents closely. Sorry about that.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
devrim~gunduz.org, devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr                  http://www.gunduz.org

Date:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 11:27 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> this particular news seems to got approved by devrim on January 26.
>>> 17:38 UTC and deleted by Josh 4 days later.
>> So, Devrim?
>
> Yeah, I remember I approved that item -- I probably did not follow the
> contents closely. Sorry about that.

Ok, can I please ask you to *never* approve anything unless you read the
full contents?  If you're short on time, please *leave it to someone
else*.  Thanks.

--Josh